Modifying a Spanish Reg'd US built vehicle

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Dec 2016 8:18 PM by htrj Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Was just reading a post on converting a car from petrol to diesel from a few years back which showed that there were clearly some very knowledgeable folk on here so I thought I would sign up. At the time that post was written people were talking about a proposed EU law home built vehicle modification that would certainly scupper my plan. This is just a pipe dream at the moment but I wondered if you guys could tell me if I stand any chance of getting such a build legitamised. 

What I would like to do is convert a US built, Spanish reg'd Ford E150 van from 2wd to 4wd. In the states this is quite a common mod but knowing how distressing something as simple as non factory towbar is to an ITV man I wonder if modifying a van like this is adviseable at all. 

Look forward to hearing from you. 

Like 0      
13 Dec 2016 9:01 PM by Sten46 Star rating in Hatton, Derbyshire &.... 243 posts Send private message

I havn't the faintest idea, but I will watch this thread with interest. I know what you mean about the ITV man; a while ago a car I took was failed for a cut on the inside of a rear tyre. Two new tyres were fittedat the tyre place - they advised that the new ones went on the front and the front tyres went to the back. The ITV man did not get this concept at all! In the end, I had to fetch the manager out of the office (who spoke some English) to explain why, when the tyre he had failed was at the back, but the new one was at the front!

Good luck.

Steve

Steve.

Like 0      
20 Dec 2016 1:17 PM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

You have to ask yourself, ‘’is it worth the hassle, aggravation and stress’’?. You already know you are dealing with unknown regulations and if you are not fluent in Spanish get a good stock of paractamol. Why not just get rid of what you have and buy what you want off the shelf Spanish registered?

Like 1      
22 Dec 2016 8:43 PM by htrj Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thanks potblack.

The reason I dont get rid of what I have is that there never was a factory built alternative, hence the need to build rather than buy and also hence the fairly common alteration in the US. 

Good advice with the paracetamol but ive just seen a post elsewhere that could be the answer to my needs. Will post a link to it here whenI find it again. 

Like 0      
26 Dec 2016 1:27 PM by Angela3 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thanks guys for your informative posts :)

Like 0      
27 Dec 2016 9:57 PM by gazzerb Star rating in Malaga/Winchester. 34 posts Send private message

htrj: The Spanish are particularly anal when it comes to vehicle modifications. The changing of a power train in any way (that can be detected) is a NO NO! 

A friend of mine insisted on removing a propshaft to his rear axle on his Land Rover Freelander to make it more economical....until it's next ITV. Uproar! Failed and had to bring it back to retest.

Now IF your vehicle is modified PRIOR to import into Spain (and the previous V5/Registration docs show the "current" powertrain) I don't know how they would react especially as a US vehicle is not covered by EU Homologation codes. The Spanish DO check  EU vehicle Homologation codes on import against the vehicle you are presenting. They have great difficulty with importing classic cars too (no homologation to refer to).

Having said that "One off" built cars previously registered within the EU are not to be precluded from import...someone has a 2 seater Morgan "look alike" here in our village, successfully imported.

Caveat emptor.

Like 0      
28 Dec 2016 12:06 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Years ago, I brought a 10 year old LHD petrol engined Land Cruiser to Spain (ex-Germany via UK). To get it registered in Spain, I had to remove the factory fitted towbar - no mean feat, since it was well and truly rusted in place - because I couldn't supply homologation paperwork relating to it. When it came to valuation for tax purposes, however, the petrol version had never been sold in Spain so they had no reference point. To overcome this, they decided it was a diesel instead, and that's what went on it's Spanish documentation. Strangely, never caused any questions to be asked at subsequent ITVs.

Good luck!!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Lawyers Liability - 14 posts
Leaky roof. - 25 posts
Registering a UK catering trailer in Spain - 8 posts
dogs in winter - 7 posts
Capital Gains tax refund when selling - 19 posts
floods - 3 posts
supermarkets - 8 posts
Mobility Scooters - 2 posts
Costaluz Lawyers - 8 posts
Registering a car - 16 posts
Non EU national, resident in Spain, married to EU national, travelling to UK - 5 posts
Who said lawyer isn´t liable? - 5 posts
Supreme Court Crack Down on Timeshare Contracts - 0 posts
Replaying ball in the stree - 10 posts
Finca near Villablanca - 2 posts
Re registering a spainish car - 17 posts
Towing a boat - 5 posts
Alicante Car Hire - 7 posts
Europa Energy - 0 posts
Eye lasering - 7 posts
BBQ 30th November - 0 posts
fine - 3 posts
Community Water - 12 posts
Re Registering Car Witn No NIE - 8 posts
New here! - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x