lessons for drivers - the other side of the road!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Sep 2007 12:00 AM by jenna161205 Star rating in Cardiff, UK - moving.... 38 posts Send private message

Hi, sorry if theres already been a post about this, in case I've missed it.....

Is there anyone in the algorfa/torrevieja area that gives short courses on driving on the other side of the road?  I'm a new driver here in the UK and a bit nervous of driving when I get to Spain next year and was hoping I can get in a dual-controlled car with someone just to get me used to being on the other side of the road and the other side of the car.

Any help is very welcome

Jenna

Like 0      
11 Sep 2007 1:10 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Hi Jenna, you really don't have to worry cos everyone else is on the other side of the road too.

Really, you won't find it a problem, just give it a go.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
11 Sep 2007 1:18 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

My sister is the driver & she says that it is really easy to drive in Spain, particularly when you have a left hand drive car, because you as the driver are positioned towards the middle of the road in the same way that you are here.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
11 Sep 2007 7:27 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Jenna,

If you are a new driver, as in you've just passed your test, then it may be a little daunting for you driving on the other side of the road at first, but it won't be a real problem - you just have to think "keep right, keep right"!!!

Just keep that thought and you'll be fine!  Don't think about things like "indicate right if overtaking" or stuff like that - just keep thinking keep to the right and take it from there.  I got my first licence in the Middle East and had to keep thinking "keep left" whenever I went to the UK!  That's all I did though, just kept reminding myself to "keep left" in the UK.

Just follow the traffic and keep that "right" thought and you'll be fine!

Like 0      
12 Sep 2007 9:46 AM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
one thing that really helped me, assuming you have a left hand drive car, was to remember to keep the steering wheel in the middle of the road..........simple but hadn't thought of it till hubby mentioned it.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
10 Oct 2007 12:44 PM by sazzle Star rating in Scotland, soon to be.... 45 posts Send private message

we are just back from a short visit in spain and we hired a car and drove for the first time, at first the roundabouts were very scary but when you are on the main roads, you have no choice but to remember where you are meant to be, its the quiet roads that were tempting me to be on the wrong side hee hee

but after the first 5 mins, its fine!! just go for it!

Like 0      
11 Oct 2007 12:33 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Jenna (if you pick this up) I posted this in here >> Driving lessons in this board  

Give them a ring & ask them to take you out a few times to get your confidence up.

Like 0      
11 Oct 2007 7:52 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Just watch out when driving up the N332. Especially in the dark.

The slip roads have a habit of being straight on and the main road turns away.  Nearly caught us out a few times.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
28 Oct 2007 8:47 AM by gillian Star rating in Colchester and Altea.... 187 posts Send private message

Hi there,

We have found that using a Tom Tom 910 has been invaluable in Spain because at least if you dont have to worry about which way to go (give or take the road changes which havnt yet been updated ) you can concentrate more fully on the driving.

Like pitby we have found the 'keep right' thought really helpful and in fact as soon as we collect our hire the car we put a sticker on the wheel saying just that.

Happy driving !

Gilly & Ralph

Like 0      
28 Oct 2007 10:14 AM by dringman Star rating in www.Condadoexcursion.... 772 posts Send private message

dringman´s avatar

Anyone know rules re scooters/mopeds etc

Can you drive a scooter in Spain on UK learner licence?  What is max on cc  etc

thanks

www.condadoexcursions.com   Airport Transfers Day Trips Alhama de Murcia Taxi No 10  
tel +441212881323   +34 622714979

Like 0      
29 Oct 2007 1:21 PM by debbiep Star rating. 51 posts Send private message

You can ride up to a 124cc on a UK provisional license here anything bigger you must take the spanish driving & theory test.  There are no lessons required to ride a moped here but I do know someone who does a road safety course for riders which is similar to the CBT which familarizes them with their bike, the roads and road signs etc.

Eve

Like 0      
29 Oct 2007 2:52 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

I know you can drive up to a 125 if you had a full uk driving licence. Not sure about a provisional.

There is a test here with the minimum age just increased from 14 to 16 to allow for a scooter licence up to 50cc.

Whilst there are no practical lessons needed, the theory test can be done in a short time, there are around 8 modules which can be taken all together but usually over a 6 weekd period (son did it in 3 days!!)

Insurance is high though! And dependant on age/experience

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
29 Oct 2007 3:06 PM by debbiep Star rating. 51 posts Send private message

As stated previously you can ride a bike up to 124cc on a provisional UK license as well as a full one, I am aware that a theory test needs to be taken but only if you are applying for your license here not if you already have a UK provisional or full license.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hola anyone in Daya Nueva - 0 posts
Buying into offplan? Fine, as long as you can COMPLETE on it. - 5 posts
Builders Clean - 17 posts
Shot Guns/Firearms - 0 posts
Hola - 20 posts
What happens when Planning permission is not granted - 2 posts
Alicante Airport Transfers? - 1 posts
Airport Transfers from Alicante - 1 posts
Business Wanted - 3 posts
Long Term Rental Wanted - 1 posts
Railway Station - 10 posts
Recovering Unpaid Rent - Help Please! - 2 posts
Airtel Aircondition Units - 3 posts
Where is Maria Delcastro? - 5 posts
Hiya all - 5 posts
Car Vandalism - 14 posts
New to this site :o) - Invalid in need of company - 10 posts
Altos De Campoamor Ramiro Apartments - 1 posts
Golden Retriever Free to a good home - 9 posts
Playa Flamenca - why so many properties for sale? - 11 posts
Information on Healthcare etc in Spain provided by Age Concern - 2 posts
Allegations period of Marbella PGOU open till September the 30th - 1 posts
Confusion - 4 posts
Internet - 2 posts
Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria details please - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x