:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 May 2015 11:21 PM by Kmcc Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi there,

i am am after a little advise if poss please,

my husband and I are looking to move to camposol with our children 5&6 ,

we visit a few times a year and stay at the country club but now finally ready to make the move and am after any advise from people in the same boat,

have your children settled in ok and adapted to the move well?

is it easy for us to make new friends..(we are 30)

are the schools good?

we would be renting at first with a view to buy.

sorry for all the questions just want as much advise as possible,

thanks xx

Like 0      
28 May 2015 8:26 AM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

I'm surprised that you've not had any reply so far as there are several contributors on EOS who live on Camposol.  You might want to try again using "Camposol" in the heading.

I cannot answer your questions in any detail.  But I have been told that some schools are not keen on British kids as they tend to be more disruptive.  I was told by a chap working for me that his village school near Mazarron closed down, then re-opened purely as a device to rid the school of the few British kids!  Not sure how true this is, it seems a bit extreme, but the cultures are very different and I do believe you need to tread carefully and give the school authorities the right impression when you apply.

Don't let this put you off as there are lots of schools and I imagine the situation above involved older children.  But it's an aspect that will be different from what you might expect.  But it's a lovely area and I'm sure that if you obtain some good information and approach these things in the right way you'll be really glad you made the move.

Like 0      
28 May 2015 11:52 AM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

I live on Camposol, and not having any school age children, I din't feel I can offer any  advice.

a lot of children here do go to local schools.There  is a new one in the port, next to Lidls, but as to how good they are, I cannot say.

Try homeespana, and search schools in Mazarron

School bus,textbooks, materials, lunches and uniforms are paid for by the parents and can be quite a substantial sum.

i'll ask around to get a few opinions 

This message was last edited by camposol on 28/05/2015.

Like 0      
28 May 2015 1:40 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

Acer "But I have been told that some schools are not keen on British kids as they tend to be more disruptive."

Trying to see it from the school's perspective, it must be very slow and frustrating trying to teach when some of the foreign kids are understandably less fluent etc.

Like 0      
28 May 2015 2:05 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

I do not live in teh area so cannot offer too much advise

Your children should have no problem with schools as long as you plan well and work with the school to get them fluent.

Find a private tutor and take the tutor to the school to meet the teachers and agree a plan of studies.

Don't expect miracles it will take time (6 months) 

Have you started Spanish lessons for them now in the UK

You will need to learn Spanish as well so you can understand and help them with homework etc suggest you share the same private tutor and focus on the grammar side (not together as your kids will be faster than yousmiley)

If this concerns you  then you have the option of a private international school

Like 0      
28 May 2015 2:37 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

GuyT you may be right to an extent.  But the problem that was relayed to me was more of a behavioral issue and I think they were older kids.  The chap told me that he and his wife and son had to go cap in hand due to the school's previous experience.

This may have been a one off, but either way I think it does no harm to be a bit circumspect and not necessarily expect to be welcomed with open arms.

Like 0      
28 May 2015 2:46 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Whilst at the hairdressers, I was chatting to a mum who has children in school at Puerto de Mazarron.

She said the Manuela Manera school was excellent, and there is another one, Siglo xx1( 21)

children start  school at the age of 3!

Like 0      
29 May 2015 9:23 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Can I ask you if you have a job to support your selves as they seem very difficult to come by in Spain unless you have a profession that is in demand ( l have not heard of any that's in demand so far ) and if you do not speak fluent Spanish you will be restricted to working within the expat community that you live in, most of the people that are so called working are not on contracts and are paid cash in hand so without an employment contract you will not be eligible for healthcare you can get healthcare if you become self employed the insurance contributions for this is currently 50euro,s per week from what i can see most of the people working on Camposol seem to get by cleaning swimming pools and working in bars running elegal taxis services selling contefit DVDs and seem to be willing to do anything to get by to enable them to live under the sun from what I can see they seem to last about 2 years and go back home sorry if if I appear to be blunt but after spending 9 years on Camposol you ten to hear and see allot if you do decide to come make sure you take plenty of money to live on. l wish you well good luck.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 29/05/2015.
This message was last edited by windtalker on 29/05/2015.

Like 4      
29 May 2015 2:53 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

With respect, if I were wanting to relocate 10 miles out of my area in UK  I would first be researching important issues via www. So when two 30 something's, with young children, post re relocating to an area they have only visited on holiday and with sans details, some forum folk tend to think it a wind up, Acer, and don't bother  to respond.

Like 3      
29 May 2015 3:13 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

I do not necessarily agree with your analysis Floella.  What is there to benefit from a "wind up" as you call it?  In any event I do not feel unduly wound.

On the other hand they are renting on Mazarron Country Club before buying on Camposol which makes sense and shows a reasonable plan - so sorry but I think it does no harm to take their request at face value.

Like 0      
29 May 2015 4:09 PM by Kmcc Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Thanks everyone for all advise,

with respect floella, we might be 30 but not stupid- we have of course visited all websites in relation to this and it was helpful advise we were after not smart comments- thanks though : )

- my husband is a gas engineer and I estate agent we don't have work lined up as of yet but are hoping to visit again soon to sort things out-we have a business in the UK which will be running so will keep us on our feet.

if anyone else is in the same boat message me - as would love to hear other people's experiences,

thanks again everyone : )

Like 0      
29 May 2015 4:30 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Acer, OP's dont have to give us their life history just sufficient to know they are not just day dreamers (should have typed that instead of windup) ie have employment etc. 

Toooooo many times queries like this have been researched and answered, in depth, only for posters to disappear into the abyss without a "by your leave."  Plus if after a couple of days of being ignored I would have reposted. Wouldn't you?

It is obvious we forum folk love to help but need to be sure time waster aren't wasting our time because surely anyone serious about relocation would research basics using the www, Spain is in 21st century,  find the local schools and then inquire if anyone knows if they are good or not.

Like 0      
29 May 2015 7:26 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

No-one has implied anyone is  stupid on this thread. In fact we expect nothing less than politeness. I am explaining the reasons as to possibly why your request for advice appears to have gone unheeded. Not forgetting most residents of Camposol are retirees. . So many times people on this forum have gone to great lengths to help people who are only telling half of a story and then when told that employment or benefits of any kind are almost impossible, even for the indigenous people, tempers get frayed.

However seems that employment for either of you will not be an issue. That is great news, on one hand, for relocating here before retirement is not for the faint hearted but on the other without employment health insurance for you all could be costly. Compared to UK Spanish beaurocracy is a nightmare in triplicate.

Whatever the outcome hope your future desires materialise . And successfully.

Like 2      
30 May 2015 10:36 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Seems to be to many of this type of post on hear at least one per week trying to set up some hair brain business or wanting to relocate to a country that has a 30% unemployment rate with two little kids in tow it makes you wonder what the hell is going on in their head now this poster for instance has been on a few holidays to Spain can't speak a word of Spanish is a plumber/ACS gas operative and wants to move to a area that has no mains gas and with the odd household that has a gas multipoint water heater and more retired plumbers than you can shake a stick at on the urbanisation willingly working for beer money ,his partner States that she is a estate agent this type of work is plenty full but is paid on a commission only basis but property sales are few and far between the people like myself that frequently post on Eos are tired of dreamer's and as one of the posters States that he was surprised that  several posters on Eos that are living on Camposol have not replied to the original posters I live on Camposol and i am not surprised  are you.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 30/05/2015.

Like 3      
30 May 2015 11:12 AM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

windtalker--- Did you not have dreams when you first went to Spain ??? you sound like a wise man of wisdom after the avent, lets hope they do not move to a property near you with your doom & gloom, i would has a guess your 60 something with not much going on, apart from tell people how it should be done. i know plenty of people out in Spain that have gone on to make plenty of money and a good standard of living. At least if they  have go at something and it fails, at least they have had go.Instead of people who sit at a bar with a pint in the hand ( for a few hours) tell the pub owner how to run a pub.These are the same people that could not run a bath.So why dont you get off the case of new people that come onto this forum to ask info.

This message was last edited by newworld on 30/05/2015.

Like 1      
30 May 2015 11:22 AM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

It's human nature to ponder alternatives, nothing wrong in that.

A few might be put off Spain completely by the comments from yourself and Floella.  What is to be gained by posting these offensive negative views?  No-one knows how genuine anyone else is, but it costs nothing to treat them with a bit of common courtesy.

Like 1      
30 May 2015 11:43 AM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

One type of worker needed here is someone who can repair electrical appliances, and obtain spares

Too many washing machines etc are thrown on the scrap heap, when all they needed was a simple repair job, or a spare part which seems very difficult to obtain in Spain.

Electricians coming to live here from the  UK could make a living doing this.

They  wouldn't be able to do other electrical work, unless Iberdrola approves their qualificationsThe electrician we called in for a problem with our oven said he was inundated with requests for repairs to domestic appliances, but had to refuse as his other electrical work took precedence. 

The reason why there were not many prompt replies to the Original Poster was that this query was specific to schools, and perhaps many living on Camposol do mot have schoolage children, therefore not knowing which schools are best etc. I have attempted to help a little with this.

Any other queries about  Camposol, I will be happy to help with, , if I can.

This message was last edited by camposol on 30/05/2015.

Like 2      
30 May 2015 12:04 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

To Neworld l am not a day dreamer l own 2 holiday homes abraod in 2 country's I also have 7 other properties in the UK that l rent out , for the last 30 years l have been the director and the owner of a highly successful heating & plumbing business if l can't give advise who can.

Like 1      
30 May 2015 12:11 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Windtalker, my other half and I think you have summed it up perfectly..

As for the Acer writing our negative postings are offensive... Well, never thought telling the truth was offensive!! One lives and learns. 

We are not lone voices in the wilderness, unfortunately. For those serious researchers posts like ours are in abundance. That is the reality for families with young children wanting to escape to live and work !! Spain. 

Newworld, 10/ 15 years ago a plethora of working folk ( offsprings in tow ) had dreams and followed them. And where are 99% of them they now. Not here because no work = no money= starvation and saddled with a mortgage on a house that won't sell. So back in UK to benefit heaven. Many having to start from scratch.

Bet those folk wish the " lily hadn't been guilded " by the Rose tinted specs brigade.

Like 1      
30 May 2015 12:14 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

As for repairing washing machines etc, I've just extended the guarantee on our Bosch dishwasher for £55.00 p/a, our washing machine is still within it's 5 years guarantee period, albeit neither having needed any attention. TV sets are so cheap now that I'm almost looking forward to changing the one in the kitchen, but it refuses to break down.

There was a young German guy who had a little shop/workshop in Calahonda, he sold/repaired electricals, however the hypermarkets beat him on price and there was very little repair work, he's now back in Germany.

This message was last edited by Hephaestus on 30/05/2015.

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

La Serena Golf Resort Murcia - 18 posts
Help - 2 posts
Diabetes prescriptions - 3 posts
Goodbye Android TV - Hello PC TV! - 20 posts
Mortgages Spain - 4 posts
Artistic Gymnastics Costa del Sol - 2 posts
HI all - 5 posts
Hi I'm lewis...LOOKING T - 1 posts
Starting a car rental business - 11 posts
Hey - 3 posts
Protective sealant for new swimming pool coping stones - 1 posts
Previous tenant requesting details - 5 posts
GnG - 0 posts
certificate of antiquity - 1 posts
Itv for car estepona - 4 posts
Atlas Property Advertising Spanish Property For Sale On UK TV . - 1 posts
Paying SUMA on behalf of a UK resident - 2 posts
Non Resident Bank Accounts - 0 posts
metal juliet balcony - 3 posts
Routes from Almeria to Eastern France - 3 posts
UK CROWN PENSION TO BE DECLARED IN SPAIN THIS YEAR - 90 posts
Help! - 1 posts
Cashing in a pension. - 13 posts
Looking for people who can rent an apartment - 0 posts
Recommendations for a good Aircon instalment company Formentera/Rojales/Quesada area? - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 32

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x