Moving to Camposol

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 May 2015 12:29 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Re businesses repairing domestic appliances: 

I am only going by What I've found here

not everybody can just replace a machine because it has broken down

in many cases the pprepairs are very simple.

the problem is obtaining spares which, for some reason, is more difficult in Spain.

I agree TVs are cheaper now, but still a substantial sum to most people!

It is bad for the environment just to chuck things away, rather than attempt to repair them.

Like 3      
30 May 2015 12:29 PM by Kmcc Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Thank you camposol, Acer and new world for your advice and support - Windtalker it's small minded people like you that are wrong with this world!! Don't speak a word of Spanish? ?? Sorry do you know me?- No so please don't comment unless you know this for a fact!!! Windtalker- jobs..... yes we have good professions but we are not stupid enough to move our 2 children over without financial support - we are fortunate enough that we may not need jobs for a while but again thank you for you help full advice and just incase your not smart enough to understand I am being facetious when I say Thank you to you!!!! But seriously thank you to all the others that have offered great advice we are extremely grateful. we are just hoping the move is successful and I would rather give it a go than look back in 20 years thinking what if?! For the helpful ones I understand people have dreams and yes this is one of ours but we have looked in to it fully and visit more than enough times a year to know that this is for us. Thanks again to you all xx

Like 3      
30 May 2015 1:22 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

If anyone has had a eureka moment and comes up with a 'cannot fail' business idea, they are hardly likely to post details of it on a forum. What has been my experience of Brits working in Spain is graduates selling time share, engineers doing bar work and a plethora of bright young things handing over hire car keys at the airport. I know a guy and his wife who work all the hours that god sends running a small convenience store and a fish and chip shop in Calahonda, they won't return to the UK and accept the long hours as the price of living in Spain. The Spanish guys and gals who work on the complex that we stay at earn circa €15K p/a, they work long days and nothing is too much trouble for them, I honestly cannot see Brits doing what they do, for the hours that they work and for what they get paid.  

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 5      
30 May 2015 1:28 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Thanks for yours Kmcc.

I still can hardly believe some of the hostile comments on this thread - some of it patronising.  Everyone knows the financial problems in Spain, but on the other hand there is no better time to start a new venture than during a recession.

Also, you'll certainly get some tremendous property deals on offer right now also!  (I wish I was doing so now, rather than 12 years ago).  Good luck.

Like 4      
30 May 2015 6:26 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

If I'm one of the 'hostiles', it's only because I tell it as I see it, all that I've seen of Spain post crash is folk throwing in the towel, or working their socks off in order to survive. I threw my own towel in 5 years ago in a country with an economy that the average Spaniard would envy.

I wish anyone who grasps the nettle and gives their ideas a go in Spain my best regards, now perhaps this clears up my 'hostile' posts.    

Like 1      
30 May 2015 7:25 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Hephaestus, well known fact of life that people who ask for adviCe only ever want to hear what they want to hear and if not then verbally bashing those who tell it like it is, is the norm.

If inquirer had been retirees or a couple without children then Spain would have a rosier glow...as it is....well some people just have to learn the hard way..... But being magnanimous,like you, wish them well and look forward to reading future missives on how wrong we were.

Like 2      
30 May 2015 7:46 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

The primary question was about schools for their 5 & 6 year olds.

You guys can "tell it like it is" till the cows come home, but it doesn't really answer their question.

Like 4      
31 May 2015 11:28 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Acer is quite right the question was about schools

Kmcc is doing the right thing and researching - please go to the schools with your kids (take a translator / private tutor with you) and talk to the teachers and explain your needs / plans (suggest you do this wherever you decide to move to)

For me education (and behaviour) begins at home and education is the primarily responsibility of the parents (guardians) and not as many people seem to think the responsibility of the schools and the teachers or the politicians.

Sadly many parents "dump" their kids at school show no interest and expect miraces (not just here in Spain it is true in UK also)

parents need to work with schools and ensure that their children are suitably raised to respect, get the best education and enjoy school

as I said in my earlier post work with the school make very effort to get the kids Spainsh lessons now, show the school what great willing parents you are and I am sure all will be fine. Respect will be returned along with lots of help

Good luck

Like 1      
31 May 2015 11:37 AM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

Spain definitely has schools, that's where Spanish children go to be educated, they tend to wear uniforms and behave themseves, you've probably not noticed them. wink

As for work, anyone who works solely on the internet can work anywhere, as can artists, musicians etc. I've seen properties advertised for sale that would make great B&B's (subject to Spanish licensing regulations), how's that for negativity? cheeky 

Like 1      
31 May 2015 3:55 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

Kmcc  sent you a PM

Like 0      
31 May 2015 6:50 PM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

Hi KMCC sorry you had to be introduced to the area by the usual bunch who will turn an innocent enquiry into an argument or end up telling us about their household appliances. One thing you will need to do is get your qualifications translated into Spanish and there will be a registration (like the old Corgi in UK). Make sure that you are up to date with Propane/Butane and that recent dates are on your ticket as you will have to be able to issue certification as you do in UK. At the moment Spanish NI contributions are around €60 pcm but you need to pay an accountant each month (about the same) to deal with the complicated tax system here. You also have to pay/collect IVA (VAT) from day one unlike the UK where the start point is around 80k turnover. Once you are in the system, you and your dependents are covered for health care etc. Don't buy at first - rent a house and have a good look around the area, talk to ex-pats on and off Camposol for a fuller picture.

Good luck - Woodbug.

Like 3      
31 May 2015 8:16 PM by Kmcc Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Don't worry you get strange people anywhere that have naffall else to do and always need a say! 😉 😂 That's great! Thank you for your very helpful advice we have taken note, yes we will be renting when we arrive for a while until we learn more - things are starting to move on our end now so hoping to be over sooner than we thought 😊 Thanks Tadd1966- my sister will be with us for a while to translate for us- we are coming over again next week to see a few more schools (English and spainsh) as this is the biggest decision and hopefully get to meet other English parents to see how thier children have taken to the move!? Thanks again x hope this makes sense as I have just dropped the i pad and smashed the screen so can't see what I'm writing very well!! oops

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

La Serena Golf Resort Murcia - 18 posts
Help - 2 posts
Diabetes prescriptions - 3 posts
Goodbye Android TV - Hello PC TV! - 20 posts
Mortgages Spain - 4 posts
Artistic Gymnastics Costa del Sol - 2 posts
HI all - 5 posts
Hi I'm lewis...LOOKING T - 1 posts
Starting a car rental business - 11 posts
Hey - 3 posts
Protective sealant for new swimming pool coping stones - 1 posts
Previous tenant requesting details - 5 posts
GnG - 0 posts
certificate of antiquity - 1 posts
Itv for car estepona - 4 posts
Atlas Property Advertising Spanish Property For Sale On UK TV . - 1 posts
Paying SUMA on behalf of a UK resident - 2 posts
Non Resident Bank Accounts - 0 posts
metal juliet balcony - 3 posts
Routes from Almeria to Eastern France - 3 posts
UK CROWN PENSION TO BE DECLARED IN SPAIN THIS YEAR - 90 posts
Help! - 1 posts
Cashing in a pension. - 13 posts
Looking for people who can rent an apartment - 0 posts
Recommendations for a good Aircon instalment company Formentera/Rojales/Quesada area? - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 32

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x