temporary internet options

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 May 2014 1:19 PM by KERRYB Star rating in Wales & Murcia. 113 posts Send private message

Hi Everyone

We have purchased our retirement home in Los Alcazares, Murcia and plan to relocate there in less than 18 months time.

We currently use the property for 6 weeks per year and do not rent it out.

When we relocate we will take out a permanent internet solution i.e. moviestar, etc. but would like a temporary solution for our current six weeks.

We only want to surf, email etc and not download although streaming internet radio would be nice but I guess not essential.

Thanks again for any advice

Kerry

Like 0      
24 May 2014 3:06 PM by Philclayton Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi,just get a mifi unit from eBay/amazon and all you need is a SIM card for internet use.

Like 0      
24 May 2014 4:01 PM by KERRYB Star rating in Wales & Murcia. 113 posts Send private message

thanks for response

would something like this be ok?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-MR3020-Portable-Wireless-Router/dp/B00634PLTW/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1400942414&sr=8-13&keywords=mifi+unlocked

I presume it would take a spanish sim on maybe a data only deal?

although would prefer if it does not require a regular monthly topup

Like 0      
24 May 2014 4:11 PM by Philclayton Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi your looking for say huawei e5331 modem unlocked amazon £35.59 ,and a data card.

Like 0      
24 May 2014 7:42 PM by KJL Star rating. 56 posts Send private message

I got a Huawei mifi from ebay and bought a Tuenti sim card in Murcia but was unable to get it to work in the Huawei mifi despite a friend who speaks fluent Spanish speaking to Tuenti's help centre. I sold the mifi on ebay and got a tablet which takes a sim card and had no problem setting it up by just texting Tuenti with the set up code and they text back the settings which automatically register on the tablet. Whenever I tried this with the mifi it didn't work. If you want to use a mifi I would recommend you buy it from a phone shop in Spain where you buy the sim card from and tell them you want them to set it up for you. You can find out about the Tuenti sim card on the web which doesn't require a regular top up and it can be topped up online.

Like 0      
24 May 2014 9:06 PM by KERRYB Star rating in Wales & Murcia. 113 posts Send private message

Thanks again for advice

With my very limited Spanish please could someone recommend a good phone shop in or near Los Alcazares who could help me buy and setup

thanks

Kerry

Like 0      
25 May 2014 7:29 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Setting up such a service is usually very simple as you will get good assistance in English. However. in many cases when you have a problem, suddenly no one speaks a word of English. 

Like 0      
25 May 2014 10:39 AM by KERRYB Star rating in Wales & Murcia. 113 posts Send private message

after a bit more research it appears you purchase the Tuenti sim in any moviestar shop our nearest is probably carrefours in Categena.

Does anyone know if they would also sell the mifi kitwhich I also need. I could use a sim in my iphone but would then lose my UK network and contacts for the duration of my stay which is not really practicable.

thanks again

Kerry

This message was last edited by KERRYB on 25/05/2014.

Like 0      
25 May 2014 1:31 PM by juansheetisplenty Star rating in Cartagena. 283 posts Send private message

juansheetisplenty´s avatar

Have you thought about buying a cheap smartphone instead? Presumably you will need a Spanish number anyway. We are not resident and have two Lebara SIMS. When you top up it is free Lebara to Lebara calls, but the best bit is this. You top up 10 Euros on the internet and currently they give you ten Euros free so you are now in credit 20. You then request a data option, e.g. GODATA500 which gives you 500MB of data for 30 days at a cost of 10 Euros. But effectively you pay 5Euros. you are then left with 10 Euros credit on your phone for calls. Then share your data via switching on Tethering to allow PC to access data. Simples really. Just a thought.

This is what we do anyway.

Juan

This message was last edited by juansheetisplenty on 25/05/2014.

Like 1      
25 May 2014 10:33 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar
Try Teleast or Internet Mar Menor on the corner of the Mercadona precinct in LA.
They are now offering a type of payg option for a set up cost of 100 euros.

Like 0      
25 May 2014 11:02 PM by MikeandHelen Star rating. 193 posts Send private message

Hi,

I use and unlocked smart phone that has a mobile hotsport feature (most do) and swop my Uk Sim for a Yoigo sim.

Internet access via Mobile is variable in Spain so don't expect a good signal everywhere.

Mike.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Property transfer taxes in Seville - 2 posts
Restoration of flat - 4 posts
TWO SINGLE BEDS FOR SALE - 1 posts
Taxman investigates Pensions from outside Spain - 44 posts
Chinese Junk Shops Why So Many - 8 posts
wanted. outer glass door for electic oven. - 2 posts
Elderly village/home in South Spain - 2 posts
Property transfer tax in Andalucia for under 35s - 4 posts
Legal tip 1149. Timeshare and frauds - 0 posts
How do i find cheap car insurance without an agents - 5 posts
What EU MEP's should focus on and make the work for all of us - 18 posts
Carboneras Hotel: Stay or Go? - 0 posts
Barclays-how does it affect ex pats with UK accounts - 12 posts
Decent plumber needed - 0 posts
TFProperties (Cezar Fenianos) Was based on La Torre Golf - 1 posts
Spain's New Stringent traffic laws - 13 posts
Bank Instruments For Lease - 0 posts
Hi all, Wanting some advice on moving to Andalucia region of Spain. Rental help! :) - 28 posts
"Son of Form 720" - 3 posts
SURE PAYS TO SHOP AROUND - 0 posts
Helens Kitchen Roldan - 7 posts
Another one bites the dust - 1 posts
Broadband stick - 6 posts
Anti EU political party in Spain. - 26 posts
Kitchen Units Wickes - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x