Barclays-how does it affect ex pats with UK accounts

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 May 2014 1:14 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Since hearing that Barclays  arepulling out of Spain, and the credit cards of those with bank accounts in the UK being withdrawn, I am left wondering if these UK  accounts will be affected in other ways? Is it the thin edge of the wedge?

Could Barclays cancel ex pats UK accounts? If so, thousands of ex pats will be in a predicament, unable to open a new account in UK,  and may not have another account to transfer the money from Barclays to.

Most will not be willing to transfer their life savings to Spain!

Many ex pats have pensions paid into these accounts, and also have direct debits paying insurances etc.

Barclays have thousands of ex pat customers who have been loyal to them for many years. They shouldn't be throwing them into a financial turmoil now.

Like 0      
17 May 2014 1:28 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

Although I personally do not have a bank account with Barclays, I have received a letter telling me that my two credit cards with Barclaycard will be cancelled in June. Fortunately I have not used them for some long time but I have complained bitterly to the company that after so many years (since inception almost) and as a shareholder too, their decision is deplorable. That said, however, I would not think that working accounts in UK would be closed, since as you say, considerable damage would be done if no other current banking is held in UK to receive, for example,  pension payments. Even if the UK is stupid enough to depart from the EU, I would expect things to remain in this respect.

Like 0      
17 May 2014 2:34 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

From thier group strategy statement. 

We will group together in Barclays Non-Core those assets that are not strategically attractive to us in the new operating environment, because we do not think they can deliver appropriate returns or reach an effective scale within Barclays in the medium term.

Barclays Non-Core will include:

• Parts of the Investment Bank which we are exiting, such as physical commodities (excluding precious metals) and elements of other trading businesses including emerging markets and non-standard derivatives
• European retail banking operations
• Non-core corporate banking in Europe and the Middle East.

It also includes certain fair-value, long-dated loans in the UK and a small number of Barclaycard and Wealth portfolios.

Many of the businesses in Barclays Non-Core are profitable and some will be attractive to other owners. We will continue to manage them actively, protecting the franchise, as we explore options for sale or exit over time.

We are targeting a reduction in Non-Core RWAs to approximately £50bn by the end of 2016 with the drag on Group return on equity down from c. 6% in 2013.

Like 0      
17 May 2014 4:25 PM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar
I too received a letter from Barclaycard informing me that my credit card account would be closed in June I spoke to Barclaycard and explained that I was a spanish resident now with no UK address The lady at Barclaycard was sympathetic and helpful and quite happy to except my daughters address in the UK and my spanish address as temporary I was not even asked my daughters name An electoral check would show her married name She explained that as I banked on line with paperless statements it was unlikely that any correspondence would be sent to the UK address It was almost seem I could have given any address as no mention was made of any checks being made I am not entirely confident that I will not hear from them again but at the moment everything seems ok
I use my Barclaycard card as an emergency card and on my very infrequent visits to the UK I would be loathe to loose it as during my working life I acquired a high credit limit My bank in Spain want to charge me an extortionate fee for the privilege of having one of their cards and will only give me a decent credit limit if I open a separate account with an equivalent amount

Like 0      
17 May 2014 5:17 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

Scubamike

It is clear that there is more than one answer, depending on to whom you speak! I also have (had?) a substantial credit limit on both my cards, although as I said no use had been made for a while. I also have no need for postal items. I think I will contact them again and use your ruse! Wish me luck.

Like 1      
17 May 2014 5:45 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Are debit cards affected.- no one seems to know.
Will Barclays close UK accounts held by Expats
I'm pleased you had a sympathetic response to using a UK address of a relative.
Do you think that they would still send statements to my Spanish address, as I do not want to bank online.

Like 0      
17 May 2014 5:53 PM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar
I also have a Barclays Bank a/c and debit card which I have had since I started work I have not heard from Barclays Bank but I would doubt they would withdraw facilities to ex pats after all a Spanish bank will allow you to have a non residents a/c I don't know the answer regarding postal statements

Like 0      
17 May 2014 8:14 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

HSBC refused to renew my credit card when I came to Spain. However happy enough to give and renew my debit card...which is actually posted to me here.
Perhaps the same will be true for Barclays customers.

Like 0      
17 May 2014 9:54 PM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar
Originally Barclays Bank issued their own credit card "Barclaycard" but now they are run as two totally separate companies

Like 0      
18 May 2014 8:22 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I have not found a UK bank that will let one open an account if they are not resident in UK.

However, Nationwide, and I believe many (maybe all) will allow a customer to keep an existing account if they move abroad.   I was with Nationwide when I came to Spain 25+ years ago.  I still have the 4 accounts I had when I was in UK.  Several years after moving I managed to get a Credit card, after firstly being refused but an email to the COE put that right.  So now I have 3 Debit Cards and a Credit Card.

An off shore bank will allow a variety of people  to open accounts and I believe they will issue credit / debit cards. 

Like 0      
18 May 2014 2:27 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

I have been with Barclays since the eighties, so I want to know that my existing accounts will still be ok, along with the debit card.

Although you cannot open a new account with a different bank, it has been possible to open another account within the existing bank, though I bet theey don't alllow it now.

Like 0      
18 May 2014 3:04 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Campo:   I have been with Barclay's since the eighties, so I want to know that my existing accounts will still be ok, along with the debit card.

Is it too obvious a thing to say, but why don't you call your bank and ask them ?   Then maybe you can help existing customers by telling them what you, as a customer, have learnt.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 18/05/2014.

Like 0      
18 May 2014 5:11 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

I have thought of that, but I'm worried about the answer-daft I know!

The thing is, when you phone them, you don't get to speak to anyone who knows the answer to questions like this.
This message was last edited by camposol on 18/05/2014.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Decent plumber needed - 0 posts
TFProperties (Cezar Fenianos) Was based on La Torre Golf - 1 posts
Spain's New Stringent traffic laws - 13 posts
Bank Instruments For Lease - 0 posts
Hi all, Wanting some advice on moving to Andalucia region of Spain. Rental help! :) - 28 posts
"Son of Form 720" - 3 posts
SURE PAYS TO SHOP AROUND - 0 posts
Helens Kitchen Roldan - 7 posts
Another one bites the dust - 1 posts
Broadband stick - 6 posts
Anti EU political party in Spain. - 26 posts
Kitchen Units Wickes - 0 posts
New Video how to use your EHIC Card Abroad - 2 posts
Sad Sad Situation - 5 posts
Worst of CostaLuz Lawyers problems - 16 posts
Water Rights - 7 posts
Hi I am Matt! - 0 posts
Moving to Spain from the Philippines - 3 posts
Registering a car in the new owners name - 6 posts
Mosquito window frames - 3 posts
new fishing shop - 0 posts
Refused emergency medical treatment - 13 posts
Possible forecourt scam - overcharging for fuel - 3 posts
Ryanair Complaint Letter - 3 posts
Who looks after your holiday let's? ??? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x