Chinese Junk Shops Why So Many

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 May 2014 2:58 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

What on earth are all these Chinese junk shops doing in Spain they seem to be on every street corner selling over priced crap that can be bought in any so called bargain shop in the U.K for a fraction of the price the Spanish Junk shops are a total rip off  why are there so many do Spanish people really buy things like plastic daffodils and the like.

Like 0      
21 May 2014 3:08 PM by fonziedas Star rating. 55 posts Send private message

Maybe the Spanish don't, but the tourists can't stop buying ...

Like 1      
21 May 2014 3:20 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

I got told they dont have to pay tax for 5 years in Spain ( then after 5 years they will shut up shop and open over the road ), If people want to buy crap they will want sell it to you, ive seen bike locks for 7 euro same locks in £ shops in the uk.Spain is a good little earner for them. BIg warehouses full of the stuff near Alicante run by Chinese maffia.

Like 2      
21 May 2014 4:51 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Not defending them, by and large Windtaker is right, most of the stuff they sell is overpriced crap. BUT they do open from 9 til 10 seven days a week while the ferreteria opens only five days a week and still closes for two hours in the afternoon. I was glad of them the other Sunday when I needed a tap washer urgently.

Like 0      
21 May 2014 6:17 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Have to say that our local Chinese Bazaar isn't full of overpriced yat... yes there is some rubbish but they keep me going with cheap blankets, pet beds and towels for the dpgs at a fraction of the costs involved in Carrefour and their HobbyZoo afffiliates... the dogs dont care if their blankets only cost a couple of euros and a five euro towel gets them just as dry as a ten euro one from Carrefour...

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 3      
21 May 2014 6:32 PM by sox Star rating. 81 posts Send private message

You are saying items are cheaper in England, its a long way to go and more expensive for an item you need if your living in Spain,why would you compare prices with England? If you live in England you pay English prices, if you live in Spain you pay Spanish prices, simple.

Like 4      
21 May 2014 7:02 PM by Fartharder Star rating in Loriguilla.. 172 posts Send private message

Fartharder´s avatar

It's understandable why people compare Spanish prices to UK prices because it's frustrating when you move here and find awful quality products being sold at higher prices than better quality products you we're used to buying in the UK. Even Amazon in Spain charges for postage when they give it you for free in the UK. I regularly say to my Spanish partner that until they start to complain about things, they will continue to get ripped off. 

There are very few things worth buying from the Chinese shops. Often, the quality of things are so bad that they're not worth having for free. However, there are a few things that work and although cheaper, are no worse quality than Carrefour or Leroy Merlin. I bought a 'cuadro' which was done with material instead of paint. It cost us 39.99€ from a chinese bazaar and only a few weeks after buying it, I saw exactly the same one in Leroy Merlin for 89.99€. I always knew Leroy Merlin was expensive but even that shocked me. 

So, Chinese shops are mainly full of crap at prices not worth paying, but they do have a few things worth having.

Like 4      
21 May 2014 7:12 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

Simple --- it sounds like you are just that Not everybody lives in Spain full time, so when i get a call from my wife telling me she bought a few bikes, and bike locks are 7 euros  each and im flying out to Spain the day after, so i buy 4 locks  £4 Spanish price 28 euro,Simple, So if you need a flea bitten dog bed for 10 euro,then go for it,Simple

Like 3      
25 May 2014 8:09 AM by lenox Star rating in Mojácar. 39 posts Send private message

Well, I haven't been to the UK for years. Last time I went, I didn't 'understand' the currency, standing there with a handful of change and making the barman pick out what he wanted.

The Chinese though, must be an interesting subject. How are they allowed to leave China - are they all secret agents... or just lucky Joes picked at random? Judging by their failure to integrate - which is worse than even our own efforts - perhaps they see themselves as long-suffering elitists. We have lots here, but none in the cemetery - where do they go (when they go)?

This message was last edited by lenox on 25/05/2014.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

wanted. outer glass door for electic oven. - 2 posts
Elderly village/home in South Spain - 2 posts
Property transfer tax in Andalucia for under 35s - 4 posts
Legal tip 1149. Timeshare and frauds - 0 posts
How do i find cheap car insurance without an agents - 5 posts
What EU MEP's should focus on and make the work for all of us - 18 posts
Carboneras Hotel: Stay or Go? - 0 posts
Barclays-how does it affect ex pats with UK accounts - 12 posts
Decent plumber needed - 0 posts
TFProperties (Cezar Fenianos) Was based on La Torre Golf - 1 posts
Spain's New Stringent traffic laws - 13 posts
Bank Instruments For Lease - 0 posts
Hi all, Wanting some advice on moving to Andalucia region of Spain. Rental help! :) - 28 posts
"Son of Form 720" - 3 posts
SURE PAYS TO SHOP AROUND - 0 posts
Helens Kitchen Roldan - 7 posts
Another one bites the dust - 1 posts
Broadband stick - 6 posts
Anti EU political party in Spain. - 26 posts
Kitchen Units Wickes - 0 posts
New Video how to use your EHIC Card Abroad - 2 posts
Sad Sad Situation - 5 posts
Worst of CostaLuz Lawyers problems - 16 posts
Water Rights - 7 posts
Hi I am Matt! - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x