They blocked my bank account! HELP Please.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Apr 2014 10:22 AM by puret0ne Star rating in Los Barrios, Cadiz. 21 posts Send private message

Hello there,

I'm a British citizen living in Gibraltar and have a holiday home in Spain. I found out the other day that my Spanish bank account (Banesto, now Santander) was blocked. I rushed to my bank and they said they would need two documents from me and it's a requirement from Madrid : Pasaporte & Certificado Del Consulado Britanico De Que No es Residente en Espana as my account is for a non-resident and they don't have proof for that.

As GIbraltar is a British territory, there is no formal consular office and local authorities handle any matters regarding civil status/immigration. Hence I spoke to the authority and he told me that he could write a letter that I live in Gibraltar but cannot include I don't live in Spain. It kind of makes sense to me though.

Would this suffice for the bank to release my bank account? |'m already worried before I go and see my bank manager next Monday.

Anybody has the same experience? Please help me!

puret0ne

This message was last edited by puret0ne on 30/04/2014.

Like 0      
30 Apr 2014 11:16 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Don't worrry.

Its quite a common problem, holders of non resident banks accounts are required to update the tax people every two years that the information they hold is still current. Normally the bank will do this for their clients and charge a fee, maybe there was a glitch when Banesto went to Santander!

The bank should be able to sort this out for you I would of thought, you need to take your passport a current non res NIE certificate and proof of address. I've never heard of them wanting a 'Certificado Del Consulado Britanico De Que No es Residente en Espana' before, If they hold out for this you will need to go to Malaga

Like 1      
30 Apr 2014 12:49 PM by puret0ne Star rating in Los Barrios, Cadiz. 21 posts Send private message

Thanks Team GB.

I think that's probably why when Banesto became part of Santander. My branch premise is now closed and I had to go to Santader in the same town. Come to think of it, I may have another problem that my addreess in GIB has changed as I moved last May (in GIB also), hence my address showing on NIE doesn't agree to the letter I'm gonna obtain from the local authority? Could you advise please? Thanks.

puret0ne

Like 0      
30 Apr 2014 2:20 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

From memory your non res NIE will have only your Spanish holiday home address on it, which should tie up with your bank account details I would have thought.

Maybe someone else might confirm this

Like 0      
30 Apr 2014 3:19 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

This is the Spanish Government web page, in English, which explains what you need to do. Although this info is regarding the Spanish Consulate in Edinburgh, it’s pretty clear.  In Spain one does the same but at the National Police Documentation Office for the area where you have your Spanish connections, or where you are at the time of application. This is the Spanish Government web page, in English, which explains what you need to do. Although this info is regarding the Spanish Consulate in Edinburgh, its pretty clear.  In Spain one does the same but at the National Police Documentation Office for the area where you have your Spanish connections, or where you are at the time of application

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados/EDIMBURGO/en/Consulado/Pages/Applying-for-N.I.E-and-Certificate-of-non-residence.aspx

This message was last edited by johnzx on 30/04/2014.

Like 0      
30 Apr 2014 3:28 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Puretone already has a Spanish holiday home,NIE and non res bank account. If he really has to get a certificate of non residence to sort out his little problem he's better of going to the consul in Malaga has I've already said.

Like 0      
30 Apr 2014 3:41 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Team GB

The non residence cert is issued by the National Police as I showed. 

This is the first line of the info on the web page which I showed :-

The N.I.E.     and certificates of non residence (certificados de No Residencia) are only issued by the Police in Spain. 

Like 0      
30 Apr 2014 5:40 PM by puret0ne Star rating in Los Barrios, Cadiz. 21 posts Send private message

So what I need to do is to go to the police station where I got my NIE to apply for a certificado de no residencia right?

http://www.janetanscombe.com/resident-and-non-resident-certificates

I found above website and this seems what you guys are saying. So does that mean it's usuless to provide a certificate/letter from Gib's local authority next Monday and I'd better apply for a certificade de no residencia at the Police Station right now? I'd feel more comfortable to go to Malaga though.

Then again GIB is a British territory and the local authority should act as a consulate shouldn't it? (See below)

https://www.gov.uk/government/world/gibraltar

Or shall I supply the letter anyway to see whether they accept it as a proof?

This is stressful and time-consuming.

Like 0      
30 Apr 2014 6:09 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Puretone,  you need a certificate of non residence (certificado de No Residencia) and they are only issued by the Police in Spain.  So I cannot understand why you think a letter would replace it.

Like 0      
30 Apr 2014 6:24 PM by puret0ne Star rating in Los Barrios, Cadiz. 21 posts Send private message

johnzx

Yes you are probably right.

It is just the fact that that guy said very clearly ''Certificado Del Consulado Britanico De Que No es Residente en Espana'  and it threw me out completely. Thanks all for your help.

Like 0      
30 Apr 2014 7:29 PM by hosilverlining Star rating in Property owner in Gr.... 173 posts Send private message

We were notified by our bank that our account would be blocked if we didn't provide our updated non-residency certificates.  We got certificates from UK HMRC by completing an online form.  They are certificates from HMRC which state that 'to the best of their knowledge' (from our tax records etc. I assume) we are resident in the UK 'within the meaning of the Spain/United Kingdom tax convention'.  They came in the post, with the wording in both English and Spanish. These were fine for the bank and HMRC seem to be geared up to provide them.  Obviously I don't know how that works in Gibraltar but would have thought you can go to wherever your taxes are collected?  Never been advised to get one from the Spanish Police but will remember that in case we have any problems in future.

I hope this is helpful.

Like 0      
14 May 2014 11:43 AM by puret0ne Star rating in Los Barrios, Cadiz. 21 posts Send private message

Hello all,

Just a quick update on my bank account.
They have unlocked my account based on the document (a copy of passport and a letter from GIB's civil status officer saying that I'm a British citizen residing in GIB address.) I've supplied. No further questions asked.

I'm so relieved now and hope it helps.

puret0ne

Like 2      
14 May 2014 2:56 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

yes

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
27 May 2014 11:02 AM by puret0ne Star rating in Los Barrios, Cadiz. 21 posts Send private message

Bad news and I'm deeply disturbed.

Though they confirmed me on the phone that the account was open about two weeks ago, today the bank sent me a short email saying it's not open and they will need 'un certificado de no residente que expide la Policía Nacional España'.

What a waste of time. Totally inefficient and deceiving,

I've now lost two weeks and still need to go get the document and my balance is going low pending a few direct debits.

So what's going to happen if I didn't get it sorted in time?

Will they still allow the payment to go out and make may account overdrawn? And there will be a penalty?
Or will they simply hold the payments?

Also, is it possible to get the certificate from any Policia Nacional or the Policia Nacional only where my house is relavant to? (For me La Linea de La Concepcion is nearer but my house is under Algeciras/Los Barrios.)

I'm so stressed with this. Too many to jugle.

Thanks for reading.

puret0ne

Like 0      
27 May 2014 11:14 AM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

/>
This message was last edited by Poppyseed on 27/05/2014.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
27 May 2014 11:41 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Puretone:

Send an urgent faxed letter to them, asking you to unblock it as it is not legal for them to do it.  Only penalty they are allowed to practise is the corresponding discount on your returns.

If yours is a current account, I can not see the point  both of the certificate and the blocking. 

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
27 May 2014 11:58 AM by puret0ne Star rating in Los Barrios, Cadiz. 21 posts Send private message

Hi Maria,

Thank you for your response.
What exactly should I say? Shall I quote you (as in a lawyer)? See below.

For example,

URGENTE

Estimado El Gerente de la Sucursal,

Por favor desbloquear mi cuenta con un efecto inmediato. He hablado con mi abogada en España y me ha dicho que es ilegal para bloquear mi cuenta a vista.

Mi número de cuenta: ES xxxx-xxxx

Saludos,

Would this will do?

Thanks. I'm so distressed.

Like 1      
27 May 2014 12:02 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Dear.......:

I have never been informed on the blocking of my current account as being a  penalty linked to the lack of proof of my residency. Please provide evidence of this. 

Furthermore, being this a requisite linked to tax purposes and being mine a current account with no interets/benefits attached, I urge to inmediately unblock the unccount so no further damages are inflinged to the running of my debits through your entity.

I ask you to do it with inmediate effect ( 24 hours) previous to me changing my banking to another entity and informing Clients Services and Consumers Authorities.

I trust we will be able to sort this with the working of our good will in orde to avoid further problems.

Yours

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 27/05/2014.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 1      
27 May 2014 12:08 PM by puret0ne Star rating in Los Barrios, Cadiz. 21 posts Send private message

Thank you so much Maria, you nearly made me cry..!

If it helps, to be precise, this is my account situation.

LA CUENTA ESTA OPERATIVA PARA RECIBIR DEBITOS , PERO NO ESTA OPERATIVA PARA REALIZAR INGRESOS HASTA QUE NOS PRESENTE LA DOCUMENTACION REQUERIDA.,

As you see, if I can't make a deposit sooner than later, the balance in the account is too low for direct debits that have to go out very soon.

Like 0      
27 May 2014 12:25 PM by puret0ne Star rating in Los Barrios, Cadiz. 21 posts Send private message

1. I will fax it both to the Branch and the Headquarters right?
2. Willl it be ok in English?

Anyway I can't than you enough for this Maria.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

UK assets - 3 posts
An Infestation of Grubby and Raucous Bags of Fur - 3 posts
Really green questions - but we all have to learn to walk before we run!!! - 2 posts
Applying for "residencia" in La Linea - 8 posts
No Nudity Please - We're British!....I wish - 7 posts
SPAIN HAS A ROBIN HOOD TOO - 0 posts
PRICES STILL FALLING IN SPAIN - 21 posts
Construction works in Spain Increased by 23.9% last February - 1 posts
Any Flight Booking Experts Here? - 4 posts
HAS ANYONE IN JEREZ GOT A SPANISH SECOND HAND CAR FOR SALE? - 0 posts
English version of Modalo 210 ... How do you get an original blank TAX from - 2 posts
Moving to Spain - 2 posts
URGENT 5 nights accommodation needed! - 0 posts
Banks debts - 1 posts
DOWNLOADING PHOTOS FROM LAPTOP TO A C.D.DISC. - 5 posts
Long term rental?? - 0 posts
CLeaning materials for septic tanks - 2 posts
For Sale RHD Spanish plate Peugeot 306 Cabriolete - 0 posts
Sat signal - 4 posts
CPR Condado de Alhama - 0 posts
CPR Condado - 0 posts
community laws / rules - 2 posts
Kids Savings Junior Isas Childtrust funds low cost index trackers.... - 0 posts
What would you do ? - 7 posts
Hi all! - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 34

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x