Is your Spanish really as good as you think?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Jul 2013 1:20 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

A while back I did a poll on how well EOS members spoke Spanish and I was quite surprised how many actually said they were proficient in the language and could hold a good conversation. The other day I came across this Spanish test to test your level of ability and I thought it would be fun to share it so those who are in doubt can get an idea of how good they really are...

Give it a go and see if you really do control your Spanish, after you've done it please come back and let me know how you did!!  Good Luck

www.spanish-test.net/index.htm

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      
05 Jul 2013 3:48 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

That is a challenging test mac75 - I really enjoyed doing it and clearly need to brush up on verb tenses a bit.  I did get to B2 but only just, and since my diploma tells me I am C2 standard - that was not that impressive!!!   Back to the subjunctives.  

Like 0      
05 Jul 2013 4:06 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

A2-my verb tenses let me down!

Like 0      
05 Jul 2013 4:30 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
A1. Not bad considering I never learned the tu form, it was all Usted in my day.

Like 0      
05 Jul 2013 4:44 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

I enjoyed doing it too, specially as I had never done a Spanish assessment test before. B2 would be the equivalent of a Cambridge First Certificate for English which is an intermediate level. Roly if you got a C2 you must have a good level of Spanish, that is a tough exam. 

Like 0      
05 Jul 2013 6:13 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

I did C1 diploma with the Open University (advantage of being able to do it anywhere you are)  and then went onto Cervantes.

Yes, tough - I did not find I absorbed the language - it was a hard slog but worth it.

Like 0      
05 Jul 2013 6:33 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

Good on you! I know the amount of work you had to go through to get the C2, even though I haven't done it. 

Like 0      
06 Jul 2013 9:58 AM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Ooh this looks fun! Daren't do it on the iPad though as it's too easy to make a mistake .... oh well I suppose it's time to get up and get some breakfast anyway :-)

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
06 Jul 2013 11:29 AM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar

Well I'm the rubbish one here, I'm afraid :-(  I aced the B1 but flunked B2.  Actually that's how it should be, as that's the level I thought I was.  But I'm seriously impressed by everyone else's high scores!

..... though perhaps the ones with less Spanish aren't doing the test???

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
06 Jul 2013 12:48 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Come on johnx-what was your score, don't be modest!

Like 0      
06 Jul 2013 3:01 PM by Fartharder Star rating in Loriguilla.. 172 posts Send private message

Fartharder´s avatar

I didn't quite make it through B-2. Given that I've lived here for nearly seven years, that's not very good.

It didn't come as a surprise though as I know my Spanish isn't as good as it should be. Even my English isn't as good as it should be!

Like 0      
06 Jul 2013 6:59 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Just as many English people have a poor knowledge of grammar in their own language, so  some Spanish people might have had a problem with this test, so I'm, not too downhearted. I bet many ex pats failed to get beyond A1.

Like 0      
06 Jul 2013 7:30 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

I agree camposol.    The test needs a good knowledge of verb tenses and forms.   We are not that good at this in our own language!!

A lot of people will be able to hold a conversation but do badly on the test.   Great fun though!!   

Like 0      
06 Jul 2013 8:05 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Well we tend to only learn the words for things like the subjunctive, when we learn a second or third language. I must say I don't remember learning things like that at school in French lessons, though I may have just forgotten it!

I reckon it's quite an accurate test. I fizzled out at roughly the same point that I did on the Cervantes Institute online test, and also on the one provided by my local language school www.axalingua.com which is one minute's walk from my house! My teacher there (I just started private lessons last week) says I am B1 though conversing at a B2 level (ie with mistakes!). The text book I have been given is the upper-B1 book, so I'd say all the tests have come out giving me the same level, which says something about the test probably being right :-)

Like 0      
06 Jul 2013 8:24 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

The problem is the Spanish use the subjunctive a lot - whereas in French you can get away without using it.  In English we don't use it at all (well - if I were a rich man - is the usual example).     You cannot really become fluent in Spanish without using it, but I do think you can converse reasonably well without it.

Like 0      
06 Jul 2013 8:47 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Yes and I think most of us are seeking fluidity rather than perfect fluency. I think the word IF is a good sign that there's a subjunctive coming up - si tenga el dinero ..... si quieras, pues si! .... Etc

Like 0      
13 Jul 2013 9:50 AM by El Moufo Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

El Moufo´s avatar

Very good. Pity it doesn't highlight your mistakes at the end, only gives % so no way of knowing where you went wrong.

Like 0      
13 Jul 2013 10:25 AM by dustymop Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I have used Rosetta stone and this has helped me no end.

Like 0      
13 Jul 2013 10:54 AM by bilbo.s Star rating in Albuñol.. 14 posts Send private message

Bit of a glaring omission, not showing your errors.  How is one supposed to learn , if not shown the error and the correction?  I suppose this is not a teaching tool, merely a gauge.

Like 0      
13 Jul 2013 11:35 AM by k8inspain Star rating in Inbetween Ibi Tibi &.... 7 posts Send private message

This was good!  Got good scores on A1 & A2, but just failed B1 getting 67%  :(  I have been studying at this level for the last 2 years so slightly disappointed!! Think it may have been the subjunctive - bane of my life!!  Oh well, back to class!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Adifferent take on things????!!!! - 0 posts
Iberdrola - new disconnection policy? - 0 posts
Health Care in Spain for Brits. - 10 posts
Starter Motor - 0 posts
selling silver bullion in marbella - 0 posts
speed cameras - 7 posts
In Spain, do uninhabitable properties still have to pay the community charge? - 3 posts
Recommendations for places to stay in Northern Spain - 4 posts
where to buy beds Costa del Sol - 0 posts
price of survey of property that's under legal administration - 1 posts
energy certificate - 1 posts
Regency snooker La Nucia - 0 posts
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID - 7 posts
AM I MISSING SOMETHING? - 2 posts
Gesa endesa number urgently required to call from uk - 8 posts
Los Alcazares Furniture recommendation please - 13 posts
Mortgage Protection Insurance - 7 posts
Burglaries-is gassing a myth? - 14 posts
RECOVERED FUNDS TERCIA REAL - 0 posts
Pickie Eaters Dilemma - 13 posts
Calais to Andalusia - 8 posts
Just purchased in Los Alcazares, a couple of questions - 0 posts
Stopping people from voting by including special payment on community fees. - 2 posts
are verbal agreements legally binding in Spain - 0 posts
Retiring to Spain - or somewhere. - 11 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 30

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x