Some Help please

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Dec 2012 5:41 AM by hammers72 Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

I am looking at moving to Spain at the beginning of Feb and I have a few questions that some of you maybe able to help me with.

I am a young at heart 40 year old and have found a few areas that I like the look of, just wondering if these areas would suit me, I like the look of the following areas

Rojales, Cuida quesada, Almoradi

I would be working from home so would need a reliable internet service preferably adsl with telephonica, does anyone know if telephonica service these areas. 

I very much hope there are a few people that can answer some of my questions.

Thanks in advance and a merry xmas to all of you

Nik

Like 0      
24 Dec 2012 8:26 AM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Could you give me a clue where these places are? eg which province? Obviously others who live there will know, and probably if I don't it means it's not my area! I live in the Axarquía region of Málaga province so may be too far away to help. But Spain's a big country and including a Province does help!

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
24 Dec 2012 10:07 AM by gnik Star rating in calahonda. 28 posts Send private message

So your moving in less than two months and you want total strangers to advise you what area would be best for you. Surely you should look at these ares yourself.

Like 0      
24 Dec 2012 4:12 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

Nik, I think you need to do a little more groundwork before you make any decisions.

I started looking in June & thought that just flying to Spain, looking at a place saying, "Yea this will do" would be it. I returned home was very disappointed

I spent one journey to Spain looking at areas, then another looking around that area. A third made me decide not to live in the isolated mountain Villa's & I return in just over two weeks to hopefully choose to live in & find a Village townhouse.

There are so many helpful people on this forum all with different stories & tales but all with very good advice please read them.

Like 0      
24 Dec 2012 5:37 PM by mr.kevin Star rating in Costa Blanca. 189 posts Send private message

mr.kevin´s avatar

Nik,

Well it all depends what your tastes are and if you want to live in Spain or expat Spain.

I am not knocking expat Spain, lots of people like this and enjoy their life here.

Quesada is a expat area with all what you will need including good internet, it also has lots of bars, lots of English shops and a very good fish & chip shop. However it also has a lot of visitors in the summer that keep the local police busy and it also attracts more robberies than other areas. If you like being close to everything, this is the place for you.

Rojales, Quesada is part of Rojales but Rojales real is more of Spanish, a better bet if you don't want to be too close to all the bars.

Almoradi is a nice town not far from the other two, typical Spanish as is lots of other close by towns.

For internet connections, consider in town for ADSL by Telefonica or others, but you will get very good Wimax type internet in the countryside from Comenersol and others (avoid Aeromax though). We have lived just outside Albatera for six years now and loved every minute of it, we can enjoy where we live, enjoy going out and return to peace and quiet when done.

In the end, it is up to you but choose carefully and make sure it is fully legal if you are buying.

Like 0      
24 Dec 2012 5:57 PM by Sten46 Star rating in Hatton, Derbyshire &.... 243 posts Send private message

For what it's worth, we moved to Almoradi permanently earlier this year after we retired. We have owned our place here for 5 1/2 years and obviously been very regular visitors in that time. Love the place - can't fault it; good mix of people (although we live in a totally Spanish development - we are the only Brits); great laid-back lifestyle; everything we need is to hand.

Went swimming yesterday in an outdoor thermal spring pool at Banos de Fortuna - where can you do that in England on December 23rd? - this afternoon went for a walk in neighbour's orange grove and picked some oranges for Christmas Day - ditto above!

For telephone and internet, we have  BT through a company called Arrakis (nothing to do with Cocoon) - 100% so far in every respect!

If there's any more info you would like, don;t hesitate to give us a shout.

All the best in your search

Steve.

Steve.

Like 0      
24 Dec 2012 7:21 PM by MAC75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

MAC75´s avatar

I do't know the areas but a piece of advice would be to rent for a short time in the area, look around start living and get a feel for the place before you really settle down. Some areas aren't what they seem at first sight. As to whetehr they would suit you or not, it might be a good idea to share a bot more info, such as whta your interests are , if you like being close to city, beach, golf around people etc if you are looking for a spanish experience or an expat experience in Spain. It all depends on what you want and if you speak the language. If you give some more imformation I'm sure we can all help you out a lot more.

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      
24 Dec 2012 11:42 PM by aly not in spain Star rating in Not far from Torre. 74 posts Send private message

Depends on what you are looking for hammers.

Almoradi is , to me, an interesting Spanish town, with quite a few Brits and Morrocans.

Rojales is again, mainly Spanish in the centre, with a fair few Brits, buts lots more Brits in its urbs on Cuidad Quesada.

Internet, hmm, well, it varies depending on what you can get.

I'm a few miles from Quesada, and have a wi-fi system,  it's ok for general stuff, but I wouldn't like to rely on it for work. I was told I could not get Telefonica. You need to check what is available.

This message was last edited by aly not in spain on 24/12/2012.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Great Spanish Crash - 2 posts
Advice on taking a dog to Spain on a plane??? - 6 posts
Hi :) Alpacas in Spain - 2 posts
Hoja de reclamaciones - 10 posts
NEW CHAPTER FOR 2014 - 8 posts
If you want to make a difference and stop the injustice - 11 posts
Never really sure how to start. Hello is always a good bet... - 5 posts
BBC 1 HD listed on Astra 2F, UK satellite TV, Spain - 0 posts
Living in a Portacabin? - 5 posts
Where is nearest police station to get an NIE number from Los alcazares? - 8 posts
Christmas Letter from Costaluz - 3 posts
Late payment of non residents tax. - 2 posts
Non Residence tax and changes to value - 11 posts
RUDEAIR - 35 posts
mortgage broker, Costa blanca - 0 posts
New Asset Reporting Law for Spanish Residents - 38 posts
Spain strengthens ties with the jewish community - 4 posts
Who said the property market wasn't moving? - 4 posts
Beneficiary - 4 posts
BBC News in UK - 0 posts
WILL THE WORLD END THIS FRIDAY...... - 15 posts
Nerja, just moved in, anyone from around here? - 2 posts
Visit Andalusian - 5 posts
Corvera confusion - 7 posts
Mobile nightmare - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x