What is going on with Ryanair in Spain?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Sep 2012 1:48 AM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

What was not so long ago a perfectly great option for flying, even though they do drive you mad, from time to time, is now quite a scary one. With several emergency landings due to lack of fuel, a protest by various pilots who refused to fly due to security issues and there has even been a flight where their own passengers had their blood sucked by a plague of bedbugs. Due to this, the Spanish government is making serious steps to modify the European Union rules for national supervising bodies so they can have more control over airlines that function in their territory.

What is this all about? A bout of bad luck? Or are they really dropping their standards and pushing things to the limit?

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      
18 Sep 2012 5:40 AM by globexs Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

globexs´s avatar

Very strange indeed, and kind of worrying.

However I refuse to believe that Ryanair would disrespect saferules. At least more than the other airlines. I have always found them better organized and structured than Iberia, Spanair, etc.

In fact I am a true Ryanair fan because they do their job cheap. I even wrote an article about them on my blog (Globexs Valencia Blog)

I just hope I can continue using them monthly on my trips between Valencia and Belgium...

Cheers!

Lodewijk

Like 0      
18 Sep 2012 6:59 AM by 66d35 Star rating. 243 posts Send private message

I don't see how they could drop their standards.

Given the point they start from.

Like 0      
18 Sep 2012 2:26 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

Well it seems to me that they are cutting corners! How can you run out of fuel on two flights in one month and even have to do an emegency landing if you're not calculating the litres to the absolute minimum? Ryan air pilots don't have enough fuel to be able to react to adverse conditions. They have to get from A to B without any hicups or think really fast!

Maybe they are infringing the law, after all if any one could they could. But some how I don't think they are, I just think they're on the line between legal and illegal and that policy is very worrying.

Two days ago, yet another emergency landing in Madrid by a flight from Paris to Tenerife to add to the list . Technical problems.

I certainly won't be flying Ryan Air, I think they have gone just too low cost!

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      
18 Sep 2012 4:17 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Is there no authorised "body" to oversee these incidents with the power to ground an airline company and ensure passenger safety is not compromised? Surely there are safety procedures and checks that are compulsory for all airlines to adhere to, i.e. a minimum fuel contingency requirement, etc?

Like 0      
18 Sep 2012 4:43 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Ryanair is no longer a cheap airline. There's very little in price between them and the others. Because of its nasty mean minded tactics, I have changed to Monarch, who are a lot more pleasant to deal with.

Like 0      
18 Sep 2012 5:52 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Yes have to say we have been looking at flights to Alicante and Monarch came out the cheapest and more sociable flying times!!!!!!

Patricia

Like 0      
18 Sep 2012 9:21 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

I have booked my mate & I on a flight in October for Malaga from Birmingham with Ryanaire for £169.80 (£84.90 each).

My friend has yesterday booked with Monarch from Birmingham to Alicante for £142.80

So I still think Ryanaire is comparitively cheap, rough & ready but cheap,

Can't say I particularly like 'em but all I want is to get from here to their, not bothered abour frills. Until they let me down or no longer cheap I will use them. They must hate me as I never fall for their dirty tactics.

Like 0      
18 Sep 2012 9:30 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

I am afraid Ryan air do not fly to Alicante from Luton so it is not a option for us.  But would certainly use them if they were cheaper at the end of the day it is not a long flight. You could spend that time on a train journey!

Patricia

Like 0      
19 Sep 2012 10:21 AM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

19 Sep 2012 11:03 AM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

Scandal & concerns sell papers.

Ryanaire have never crashed a plane yet & they won't flout the minimum guidelines.

Anyway I'm squashing myself into the black box!!

Like 0      
19 Sep 2012 11:08 AM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

The fuel I suppose is done exactly like car hire fuel, that that is unused you lose.

Aicraft are also faster & more efficient the lighter the load. 

Like 0      
19 Sep 2012 12:19 PM by Abyss_Rover Star rating in Mallorca. 72 posts Send private message

It looks like their staff have found a novel way to subsidies their wages.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ryanair cabin crew escape jail for smuggling

Two former Ryanair stewards have escaped jail after trying to smuggle nearly 14,000 duty free cigarettes between them into Britain.

Gemma Phillips and Adam McEvatt walked free from Manchester Magistrates Court today but both have already resigned from their jobs because of the nature of the crime and are facing disciplinary proceedings.

Phillips was caught at Liverpool John Lennon airport on 20 August after a flight from the Canary Islands. She had tried to sneak 7,800 Canary Kingsize cigarettes in her luggage. McEvatt was caught minutes later with 6,000 cigarettes.

Both, who were not on duty at the time, admitted evading tax duty.

Sentencing, District Judge Jonathan Taaffe told the pair: "I am prepared to accept this was an isolated act. On your part it was an attempt to nearly raise funds on your own behalf. Nevertheless it is a serious matter, it is not a victimless crime, people who avoid revenue payment make the rest of us suffer.'

Laws introduced last year restrict holidaymakers returning from most EU countries to 800 cigarettes and 1kg of rolling tobacco duty free, but the Canaries, although part of the EU, has separate fiscal laws and as such the duty free allowance for pasengers returing from the islands is 200 cigarettes and 250g of tobacco.

www.finditfme.com The new, advanced way to find what you are looking for.

Like 0      
19 Sep 2012 12:51 PM by mnj Star rating in L.A. Murcia . 37 posts Send private message

this happens all the time what's it got to do with

What is going on with Ryanair in Spain

Like 0      
19 Sep 2012 12:56 PM by Abyss_Rover Star rating in Mallorca. 72 posts Send private message

Well........... For sure it is in relation to "Ryan air". Weather these crew members were on any flights to "Spain", or not, could relate to  the last part of the heading.

In any case, who are you to question another person's post ?

I don't see anything constructive, from you, on this subject !

www.finditfme.com The new, advanced way to find what you are looking for.

Like 0      
19 Sep 2012 1:01 PM by mnj Star rating in L.A. Murcia . 37 posts Send private message

would it make this site if the crew worked for easy jet, jet 2 or monarch !!1

Like 0      
19 Sep 2012 5:49 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

This is all very worrying, it makes you wonder if you can trust any airline, because if Ryanair has to do it and it is the largest airline in Europe, what are the others doing, getting lucky?

Like 0      
19 Sep 2012 6:21 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

The Secretary General of Transport, Carmen Librero, travelled to Dublin today to maintain a ‘meeting of collaboration’ with her counterparts and to analyse the recent security incidents with Ryanair, and to strengthen cooperation. So the Spanish Government is taking it all very seriously.

Like 0      
19 Sep 2012 10:16 PM by michaelwr Star rating. 96 posts Send private message

Only last weekend saw a family pushing a car along the road to a petrol station - word "idoits" immediately sprung to mind, ashamedly I too have been an idiot and learned my lesson - just hope RyanAir do the same.

Like 0      
20 Sep 2012 1:07 PM by aly not in spain Star rating in Not far from Torre. 74 posts Send private message

I'm plumping for a bout of bad luck. I am sure they are, and always have, operated at the bare minimum of any regulations.

Smuggling. Nothing new. I knew a man who used to smuggle gold bars in, back in the days of BOAC.

Somehow, it seems to me that it's slightly more worrying when a plane runs out of fuel, rather than a car.

You can't compare prices across different routes.

I will only use them if they are substantially cheaper and their flight timings suit me.

Right now, I'm more worried about turning up at Alicante next week for my Monarch flight, and finding it's a Lithuanian plane...

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

CAR INSURANCE SPAIN LINEA DIRECT - 39 posts
Agent advice - 2 posts
Should the UK have adopted the EURO ? - 1 posts
Costaluz Lawyers - 1 posts
Renault Megan RX4 - 0 posts
Should my wife get medical cover based on my Social Security or her UK pension - 5 posts
Flat in Marbella! - 1 posts
Furnitire for sale, Costa del Sol - 0 posts
The new 3 month rule for registering - 5 posts
Planning application in spain - 5 posts
New Passport Procedures - 17 posts
Gas Inspection? - 7 posts
Presidents of communities - 11 posts
Pets and their control - 0 posts
IVA Increase in Spain - 12 posts
Weather forecasts on this site - 1 posts
Winter Fuel Allowance, claim before 21.9.12 - 20 posts
Ideas for nice towns between Malaga and Salobrena? - 3 posts
RHD in Spain - where do I get one - 5 posts
RHD for LHD Car - 2 posts
Long Term Let on Private Property (Landlords point of view) - 0 posts
Torrenueva, La Cala de Mijas, Malaga - 2 posts
Opel Meriva 1.7 TDi Diesel for Sale - 1 posts
greedy wife stealing inheritance from children - 0 posts
Paying tax - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 49

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x