What is going on with Ryanair in Spain?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Sep 2012 4:48 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

To say that it's the Spanish aviation authority's intent to tarnish a foreign airline is a bit much don't you think?

I'm not anti-Ryanair but I am pro-safety. Three emergency landings in one month with other problems is not just coincidence,

especially in aviation. They may call it  standard procedure, but it certainly isn't common practise. How many here have experienced with any airline an emergency landing in another airport,that wasn't that of your destination, due to lack of fuel?

I've travelled a lot as many people here have, and I've never had to experience it. Surely it's worth investigating? 

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      
22 Sep 2012 5:19 PM by I_love_javea Star rating in Gibraltar / Morocco .... 125 posts Send private message

Just flown back from UK with Ryan Air both ways. Unbeatable price including luggage and two extra boxes of things in the hold. Boarded last no scrum, got seats over wings on both legs with extra leg room, no extra payment. Courteous staff took both my son's and my hand luggage and stowed them for us as their was no room in our overhead lockers, bags where returned to us at other end without any prompting from us.

Drinks, crisps, food etc. was all branded so how anyone can possibly say inferior, is completely beyond me.

Staff were all polite and helpful even when an elderly expat was giving it the usual in a high pitch whining voice, I could not be bothered to listen to it all, but did hear such thinks as "cattle class", "not like it used to be" and the worst "I do not like being served by men, no doubt they are gays". I could not beleive my ears, even so the stewards where well manered, dignified and professional.

I have flown all over the world for the last 47 years, I have been diverted due to bad weather, mal-functions, bird strikes and many other excuses and reasons. Experienced emergency landings in everything from Vanguards, Tridents, 747's and sigle engined planes on grass runways in Africa and Australia.

Flying Ryainair on short haul is perfectly acceptable. They had 76,000,000 passengers last year, I suppose they are all wrong. Rather than moaning just fly with another airline. SIMPLES!!!!!!!

Shiny happy people - where?

Like 0      
23 Sep 2012 2:07 PM by guss Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

This whole business with fuel and Ryanair is been very unfairly pusher mainly by the Spanish authorities , who are trying

very desperatly to establish a low fare Iberia wing of its operation and Ryanr

ain are their biggest competor so it seems to

me that the Spanish have a vested interest  and will do or say anything to turn the Spanish travellers off using Ryanair

evert time I travel Ryanair from Dublin/ Madrid I find that  90%  traveling are SPANISH ,

Like 0      
23 Sep 2012 7:57 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

I had a trouble free, fuss free flight with Ryanair yeaterday to BCN. £44 one way with hold baggage. Left on time and we even had enough fuel to get all the way there although there was one scary moment on approach when the engines seemed too quiet and we seemed to be going very slow, I thought for a moment were were gliding in to save fuel.........

Poppyseed

Like 0      
23 Sep 2012 11:12 PM by ravahu Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

I am quite familiar with the airline industry and I can make one thing clear.
Never, never you should run out of fuel. According to regulations the crew should always calculate so much extra fuel that they can reach another airport in case of an emergency on the destination airport and with emergency I mean everything between fog and p.e. a crash of another aircraft on that destination airport. There should always be enough fuel to stay in a holding pattern for a specific time or to reach another nearby airport.
With this in mind it's completely strange that they ran out of fuel when having a normal flight from departure to destination airport…
If that is not the case the crew has made a terrible mistake and crew and company should be checked by the authorities. Never should economic reasons prevail above safety in the airline business. That’s a written law !!
If this has been a calculated risk then Ryanair training should be investigated and checked.
I am convinced that European authorities have investigated those incidents and, if it were failures of Ryanair, have spoken a few very tough words with them…..but, for obvious reasons; this is most of the times not announced loudly !!!  

One thing you can be sure of…everybody at Ryanair will be very alert and awake the next few weeks.

Like 0      
23 Sep 2012 11:12 PM by ravahu Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

I am quite familiar with the airline industry and I can make one thing clear.
Never, never you should run out of fuel. According to regulations the crew should always calculate so much extra fuel that they can reach another airport in case of an emergency on the destination airport and with emergency I mean everything between fog and p.e. a crash of another aircraft on that destination airport. There should always be enough fuel to stay in a holding pattern for a specific time or to reach another nearby airport.
With this in mind it's completely strange that they ran out of fuel when having a normal flight from departure to destination airport…
If that is not the case the crew has made a terrible mistake and crew and company should be checked by the authorities. Never should economic reasons prevail above safety in the airline business. That’s a written law !!
If this has been a calculated risk then Ryanair training should be investigated and checked.
I am convinced that European authorities have investigated those incidents and, if it were failures of Ryanair, have spoken a few very tough words with them…..but, for obvious reasons; this is most of the times not announced loudly !!!  

One thing you can be sure of…everybody at Ryanair will be very alert and awake the next few weeks.

Like 0      
23 Sep 2012 11:32 PM by aly not in spain Star rating in Not far from Torre. 74 posts Send private message

From what has been posted it seems they have been investigated and checked and it has been shown that they are following all E.U. regulations. The maydays as I understand were called after holding over their destination airport, then being diverted to another.

ravahu, please tell us when they ran out of fuel on a 'normal' flight from departure to destination?

Like 0      
24 Sep 2012 1:11 AM by ravahu Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

@aly not in spain
When reading the posts on Eye on Spain regarding this item I concluded (too early) that it had been a normal fight from departure to the destination airport which was clearly not the case. I am sorry fort that and learned again to check the real story first before posting comments but If you had read my post carefully you would have seen I used a lot of "if s".

Because of your comment I did some more reading at this specific incident and found the following conclusion:
Ryanair had to divert to Valencia were they also have been put in a holding pattern so in this case it was not Ryanair's fault.

On August 22nd, 2012, a Ryanair Boeing 737-800, registration EI-EKK performing flight FR-2054 from Palma Mallorca,SP to Madrid,SP (Spain), estimated flight time 1:10 hours, was on final approach to Madrid’s runway 18R when the crew initiated a go around from about 2700 feet MSL at 20:00Z. The aircraft climbed back to FL150 and received delay vectors until 20:27Z (27 minutes), when the crew determined they could no longer wait and needed to divert to Valencia. The aircraft climbed to FL270 and reached Valencia descending through FL100 south of Valencia at 20:59Z. When the aircraft was vectored through extended centerline to the north the crew declared emergency as landing above final fuel reserve was no longer ensured and received immediate vectors back to the aerodrome, where the aircraft landed at 21:07Z with 1029 kg/ 2266 lbs of fuel remaining below the minimum fuel reserve required of 1104 kg/2432 lbs about 67 minutes after going around in Madrid.
Source: lowcostaccidents.wordpress

This may lead to the conclusion that the crew was a bit late requesting an immediate landing at Valencia; however safety in this case was not in danger and it seems that because of the circumstances, the crew was not to blame but much more Spanish air traffic control.

Read  this page and judge for yourself: do a search on google on ryanair incidents and also have a look for aviation herald 454af355&opt=0 to learn that not only Ryanair was involved in these cases. (Unfortunately I cannot post direct  links because my subscription is still not approved after almost a year !!!)

End conclusion: probably a lot of fuss and a lot of people and media taking the wrong conclusions.
As said before; again I learned to investigate first and then do a post because writing with a lot of "if's" does not make things clear for everybody. So in the future I will post only after I am completely sure what happened exactly..

Like 0      
24 Sep 2012 1:31 AM by aly not in spain Star rating in Not far from Torre. 74 posts Send private message

ravahu, I thank you for admitting to your errors. Some on this site seem unable to do that.

This message was last edited by aly not in spain on 24/09/2012.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

CAR INSURANCE SPAIN LINEA DIRECT - 39 posts
Agent advice - 2 posts
Should the UK have adopted the EURO ? - 1 posts
Costaluz Lawyers - 1 posts
Renault Megan RX4 - 0 posts
Should my wife get medical cover based on my Social Security or her UK pension - 5 posts
Flat in Marbella! - 1 posts
Furnitire for sale, Costa del Sol - 0 posts
The new 3 month rule for registering - 5 posts
Planning application in spain - 5 posts
New Passport Procedures - 17 posts
Gas Inspection? - 7 posts
Presidents of communities - 11 posts
Pets and their control - 0 posts
IVA Increase in Spain - 12 posts
Weather forecasts on this site - 1 posts
Winter Fuel Allowance, claim before 21.9.12 - 20 posts
Ideas for nice towns between Malaga and Salobrena? - 3 posts
RHD in Spain - where do I get one - 5 posts
RHD for LHD Car - 2 posts
Long Term Let on Private Property (Landlords point of view) - 0 posts
Torrenueva, La Cala de Mijas, Malaga - 2 posts
Opel Meriva 1.7 TDi Diesel for Sale - 1 posts
greedy wife stealing inheritance from children - 0 posts
Paying tax - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 49

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x