Easyjet introduce allocated seating

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Sep 2012 5:46 PM by Reliant Robin Star rating in Alhaurin Golf, CDS. 19 posts Send private message

All flights from November 2012 will have allocated seating.  More money to add to the flights but to be honest for a short flight we will not be paying for the posh seats.  Shame that the rugby scrum at boarding will stop.  It is so funny watching people trying get in a good position to get on first if they are not Easyjet plus card holders or have paid for Easy boarding.  Looking forward to our first flight under the new system to see how it goes.  Below are the prices from their website.

There are three price bands (per seat per flight):

• £12 for Extra legroom seats
  • £8 for Up Front seats
  • £3 for any other seat

On our Airbus A319 aircraft Extra Legroom and Up Front seats are located in rows 1, 10 and 11, and rows 2 to 5 respectively. On our larger Airbus A320 aircraft Extra Legroom and Up Front seats are located in rows 1, 12 and 13, and rows 2 to 6 respectively. To help you choose where you would like to sit you can view the seat plan for both our aircraft types.

Like 0      
05 Sep 2012 6:08 PM by omarell Star rating in Baldock Hertfordshir.... 47 posts Send private message

its about time too. as you say there won't be such a mad scramble . they have this system already in place on Monarch.and it works OK. The only other problem is that Sometimes you cannot put cabin luggage in lockers above your seat because someone else some distance away has put theirs which is quite annoying

Like 0      
05 Sep 2012 6:34 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

They have been piloting this on the Malaga to Luton route since May (pardon the pun).

It does make for a better experience.

Like 0      
05 Sep 2012 8:45 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

Forgive me, but that sounds like pre booking a seat at an extra cost, which many airlines offer.

Allocated seating surely would be all passengers being offered a seat at no extra cost, alleviating the scrum to climb on board.

If you travel by EasyJet after Nov but do not wish to pay extra for a seat surely nothing changes

Now all those with Priority boarding or Pre booked seats will no doubt board first making this queue the biggest

Or do I have this wrong and we will ALL have to pay extra to sit down?

Like 0      
05 Sep 2012 9:31 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Or do I have this wrong and we will ALL have to pay extra to sit down?

Yes we all have to pay more to sit down on easyjet - no more free seats but was there ever?

The priority boarding crowd and those that are speedy boarders etc will get  their allocated seat at a discount

Like 0      
05 Sep 2012 9:50 PM by moosh Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

No if you want to pick your own seat,you have to pay if you dont they will give you allocated seats at no extra cost.I dont see why they should be £8 at the front and £3 at the back though,I always sit at the back you live 3 seconds longer if the plane flies into a mountain.

Like 0      
05 Sep 2012 9:58 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Ok but

If you want to check in online you have and pay for a allocated seat as I understand it - hope I'm wrong.

Like 0      
05 Sep 2012 10:11 PM by mnj Star rating in L.A. Murcia . 37 posts Send private message

yes you have to pay to sit as you do with bmi & Monarch

i sure if Ryanair do it every man & his dog will be on here having a moan !!!

Like 0      
06 Sep 2012 12:00 AM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

moosh

The 3 seconds is extremely reassuring, marginally better than using your whistle and light to attract attention when landing in the sea.

I always sit at the back on Easy Jet as at San Javier you can depart from the rear door

Like 0      
06 Sep 2012 9:31 AM by maddiemack Star rating in Grantham, Lincolnshi.... 194 posts Send private message

Don't forget, though, that if you do actually 'land' in the sea, you have to find your legs and arms before finding your whistle and light. 

Like 0      
06 Sep 2012 9:44 PM by connas007 Star rating. 43 posts Send private message

From easy jet website

Yes you can. You do not have to pay to select your seat, if you are happy to allow easyJet to allocate it for you. In this case we will allocate you a seat when you check-in, either by printing your boarding pass or at the check-in desk at the airport.

Like 0      
06 Sep 2012 9:58 PM by westport Star rating in London & Co.Mayo Ire.... 509 posts Send private message

Just done the Malaga - Luton route with the allocated seat when printing off the boarding passes. Didn't make any difference really queue wise. Everyone was still like sheep. As soon as one joined the queue everyone else followed. When I asked the guy what was the point of allocating seats when you are not calling people forward to the gate in rows say 30 to 40 to fill the back of the plane first then rows 20 - 40 and so on, his reply was we are just letting people on as they arrive at the gate, as people were turning up at the last minute because they knew their seats were allocated. Seems pointless to me if they don't call you forward in rows. This would then stop the sheep from standing in line for half an hour before they even start boarding.

Like 0      
08 Sep 2012 11:33 AM by colinb Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

I have flown Monarch using this system and didn't bother buying a seat; just got one allocated at airport. You have to queue at chec k in (even if carrying hand luggage only) but the queue was short (as I guess most people had paid up). It is then less stressful when you get to the departure gate.

However, I used to enjoy the sport of not paying for speeedy boarding but still seeing if I could get the seat of my choice by use of long legs and a sprint finish up the stairs!

Re where to sit with safety in mind. I always favour the back of the plane as I believe that is where the 'black box' is kept and that always seems to survive in a crash!

Like 0      
09 Sep 2012 4:20 PM by ms51 Star rating in uk/Los Alcazares. 100 posts Send private message

Hi

I booked flights a while ago for November, but there was no mention of booking seats when I made the booking ??

Like 0      
09 Sep 2012 4:23 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

I wonder if they could make a big black box - for me to sit in!!!!!

Like 0      
09 Sep 2012 4:27 PM by ms51 Star rating in uk/Los Alcazares. 100 posts Send private message

Hope I am not on your flight "gerryuk"  lol

Like 0      
09 Sep 2012 7:55 PM by BrianLA Star rating in Nottingham/Los Alcaz.... 16 posts Send private message

I usually fly with Ryanair (because, despite their detractors they are nearly always much, much cheaper than their competitors) but occasionally use Jet2, who do allocate everyone a seat. I must say that I have never seen any evidence that this improves boarding or stops the crush to get on.

A lot of boarding problems are around passengers with cabin luggage (often way over the permitted size)  trying to get their bags in overhead lockers, and also wanting their bag in a locker right above them. Due to this they take ages to actually sit down and block the aisle for everyone else in the meantime. Unless airlines called forward all those with seats in the middle of the plane first I don't see how the crush is avoided, as those with seats in the middle still have to push past all those at the front or back who won't sit down and get out of the aisle.

I may be alone but I actually prefer the Ryanair system and it makes me even more likely to use them over Jet2 and Easyjet, added to which I want a budget airline to be just that - so I can travel on a small budget.

Like 0      
09 Sep 2012 8:03 PM by ms51 Star rating in uk/Los Alcazares. 100 posts Send private message

Well Brian, some of us dont have the option to use other airlines, from the south west not many fly in to  Murcia, its either drive to Bristol with easyjet or Bournemouth with Ryanair, but after October its down to Easyjet, but I would much rather fly with Easyjet than Ryanair anyday of of the week plus the seats are more better and so are the staff.

Like 0      
13 Sep 2012 2:02 PM by Haggis Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Having read the various postings and also Easyjet site advice - I am by no means clear about what wuill happen post November 2102. My understanding is that if you pick a seat you will be charged - otherwise Easyjet will simply allocate you a seat of their choice at no cost.

In my own experience there are few oversize bags allowed in the cabin - difficulties arise because of a simple logistic problem. There are two overhead lockers each with 4 spaces for standard bags potentially holding   8    bags above 4 rows of 3 seats = 12 spaces required for standard bags. Doesn't fit!!!

More and more regular passengers decline to take hold luggage because of the additional cost - hence a pretty full utilization of the overhead lockers - and of course cabin crew use several for emergency kit.  There is and always be potential for delays while passengers try - sometimes fruitlessly - get their luggage into an overhead locker. Solution - reduce the cost of hold luggage and get more baggage in the hold and less in the overhead lockers. Better to try for many @ £18 say than a few at £36.

Like 0      
13 Sep 2012 9:18 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

Very astute comment Haggis, it has been obvious for some time luggage space does not equal onboard seats so you can either reduce hand luggage size so it fits on its side in locker, more bags or as you say encourage flyers to book in hold bags by charging sensible price. I know weight to fuel ratios are important but seems stupid to have all the empty space below deck not earning as you rightly say we are discouraged from booking in bags.

Why are so many businesses not very business like these days?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Delicious, exciting and easy food, from an english girl...in spain - 0 posts
Wanted: experiences with the Spanish property market - 0 posts
parking in Ikea and then getting tram into Murcia - 1 posts
Can I fly back from holiday with cigarette? - 8 posts
Unsure where to put this, Avalon Funeral Plans in the News!!!!!!! - 7 posts
IS IT LEGAL FOR DEVELOPER TO SELL A PROPERTY THAT YOU HAVE A LEGAL AND FINANCIAL INTEREST? - 0 posts
Wanted Long Term Rental in Murcia - 1 posts
Should you pay a speeding fine from Spain once you're back in the UK? - 153 posts
Areas of Spain that have the nicer weather in early October? - 19 posts
Hopeing to move to Spain - 8 posts
What causes fire? - 3 posts
Solicitor Advice - In process of buying - 2 posts
Bakery/cake course spain - 0 posts
AUSTRALIAN/SPANISH DUAL CITIZENSHIP RIGHTS - 10 posts
Opel Zafira 7 seater for sale - 0 posts
Fiesta Titanium 5 door - 0 posts
Statement card from Clinic?? - 12 posts
ANYONE HEARD OF THIS GROUP - 1 posts
Responsible rental coordinator, house minder Costa Brava area - 0 posts
What day should wages be paid in. - 2 posts
F.A.O.JUSTIN - 2 posts
informing spain that my car is now on french plates - 4 posts
Ryanair again - 6 posts
Lloyd TSB / Santander etc. UK and Spain current accounts - 43 posts
electro card meter - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 20

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x