Unsure where to put this, Avalon Funeral Plans in the News!!!!!!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Sep 2012 12:30 PM by rob88 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Removed at Poster's request **

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 23/10/2012.

Like 0      
05 Sep 2012 3:10 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I was discussing funeral plans with a guy who has a policy in Spain. 

He said the sums were  guaranteed.  I thought it was more likely to be guaranteed, as long as the company existed.

He believed that the guaranteed sums were deposited in a bank account, which was independent from the service providers.   

I wonder which is correct ?

PS.          Although a bit off thread.   From experience when I buried a brother, shopping around for a funeral makes just as much sense as shopping around for anything else.  In my case, I got three quotes,  and we had the same funeral for literally half the price I was given by the first funeral director.    

Like 0      
27 Sep 2012 8:11 AM by 66d35 Star rating. 243 posts Send private message

Anyone thinking about taking out such a plan should reseach the topic very carefully. In particular, check the degree of regulation in place. There was a highly informative BBC Radio 4 "You And Yours" episode dealing specifically with Avalon in Spain. It is very much worth a listen. It is still available online from the BBC:

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00k0c6s

"DURATION: 18 MINUTES
The funeral company Avalon is accused of phoning a grieving family on the morning of a service and asking for £2,000 to ensure the event went ahead"

Like 0      
09 Oct 2012 2:31 PM by Paulleech Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi All

I would like to reply regarding the above posts.

I personally became very alarmed myself, as my parents have a funeral plan with Avalon so I saw and became worried:

However, after contacting several advisors involved I have found out the following which has put my mind at rest.

1) Daily Mail piece - was personal investment and nothing to do with Avalon

2) The Trust Fund is held in the UK and governed by CAPITA - I contacted them as they look after my teachers pension. All ok and funds in surplus. Trust Funds I am told don´t operate in Spain, but as UK Co also they legally have to hold there.

3) Mike Cooper is no longer a Director for Avalon (checked on companies house), and additionally is not one of the Trustees.

Like 0      
09 Oct 2012 2:36 PM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

hi paulleech

thanks for your post.

both myself and my partner have funeral plans

fully paid up with avalon so your post is most

welcome. saves me from contacting them.

coolyes

Like 0      
09 Oct 2012 6:12 PM by wend691 Star rating in Lincoln & Rojales (C.... 179 posts Send private message

My mum-in-law had a fully paid up funeral plan through Avalon.

Unexpectedly and totally out of the blue in early September whilst we were on our hols in our own place in Spain (just up the road from mum), mum passed away. The service we received from Avalon was very good. Whilst it has been an extremely traumatic time, with Avalon taking the lead on arranging the funeral service meant that some of the additional pressures in terms of the required formal administrative arrangements etc were taken out of our hands (gladly).

I'm not saying this to promote Avalon in any way .... but hopefully this response will allay some potential concerns of others

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

IS IT LEGAL FOR DEVELOPER TO SELL A PROPERTY THAT YOU HAVE A LEGAL AND FINANCIAL INTEREST? - 0 posts
Wanted Long Term Rental in Murcia - 1 posts
Should you pay a speeding fine from Spain once you're back in the UK? - 153 posts
Areas of Spain that have the nicer weather in early October? - 19 posts
Hopeing to move to Spain - 8 posts
What causes fire? - 3 posts
Solicitor Advice - In process of buying - 2 posts
Bakery/cake course spain - 0 posts
AUSTRALIAN/SPANISH DUAL CITIZENSHIP RIGHTS - 10 posts
Opel Zafira 7 seater for sale - 0 posts
Fiesta Titanium 5 door - 0 posts
Statement card from Clinic?? - 12 posts
ANYONE HEARD OF THIS GROUP - 1 posts
Responsible rental coordinator, house minder Costa Brava area - 0 posts
What day should wages be paid in. - 2 posts
F.A.O.JUSTIN - 2 posts
informing spain that my car is now on french plates - 4 posts
Ryanair again - 6 posts
Lloyd TSB / Santander etc. UK and Spain current accounts - 43 posts
electro card meter - 0 posts
LIVING FOR 3 MONTHS AT A TIME IN sPAIN - 34 posts
price for free sat dish supplied and fitted - 5 posts
So what is the temperature at night? - 12 posts
still confused with RESIDENCIA rules - 31 posts
banking reform - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x