Hopeing to move to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Sep 2012 11:13 AM by seaviewgirl Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Hi I'm new to this me and my family are researching moving to Spain it is something we have wanted to do for a long long time! We are looking for a better way of life and feel Spain is for us! My other half will continue to work in Ireland he works away from home for 3 weeks at a time so I'm use to being on my own with the kids so as far as that goes it will remain the same! My children are young enough to go into Spanish school so we are looking at areas for now! I am interested in the nerja area can anyone give me some info on every day life schools and children's activities in that area! Thats it for now but I'm sure il be back with lots more questions. Thanks

Like 0      
04 Sep 2012 7:54 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Before you move check:

Healthcare-will you qualify for the Spanish Health system? If not, can you afford insurance?

Do you know the costs involved in schooling in the public system?

What support will you have if someone in your family is ill or hospitalised-will you be able to stay with your child 24 hours as is expected in Spain? who would look after the other children? Will your husband be able to join you in Spain at a moment's notice?

It's one thing, being separated from your husband in the UK,but quite another in a foreign land-you could feel isolated and vulnerable. It's a lot to deal with.

The requirements for residency have changed, eg you have to prove you  have health care cover and a certain amount of income.Do you have a job to go to, would you have enough money to live on if you couldn't work? 

Do you know how family benefit will be affected by your move?

You say you are researching your move-there's a hell of a lot to do! If you still feel like moving afterwards, especially once you've read all the advice you're going to get here-Good Luck-you are very brave!

Like 0      
09 Sep 2012 1:55 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Where are you, Bobaol, I love Javea etc? I am amazed you haven't put in your twopennorth to help this family hoping to move to Spain!

Like 0      
09 Sep 2012 2:22 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

I don't have kids (well, I do but they are both in their 40s so not really relevant) therefore I couldn't possibly comment on bringing up kids in Spain.  I also have no idea about the schooling nor kids activities in Nerja as I have only visited the place on a day trip about 15 years ago.  Bit pointless me talking about a/bringing up kids and b/living in Nerja.  All I remember about Nerja was having my day spoiled by a glut of time-share touts telling me I'd won their lottery!  (Must be really lucky as I'd won their scratch card lottery 3 times in one week!)

However, I think camposol is right.  You must really look into the details if you have young children.  OK for old buggers like me to laze in the sun, think about pruning the oleanders and hibiscus and making the big decision of whether to go out for a meal or bite the bullet and actually cook for a change.  The only "stress" I have is awaiting the exchange rate when my pension is due or trying to second guess the Spanish driver on which way they are actually going to go when negotiating a roundabout.  

Saying that, there are many around us who do have kids in school, who do live apart from their husbands/wives (across the road is one couple whose hubby flies out every Thursday night and goes back on a Sunday - I would never have been able to afford that even when I was working) and they seem to be coping very well.  2 kids who are bilingual but I wonder what there future will be when they get older (mind you, I worry about my grandkids future in UK, as well).  

Really look into it.  Hopefully someone who has a family in the same boat will be able to advise you.  

Like 0      
10 Sep 2012 12:02 AM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

I wonder why you want to move to Nerja? Spain is a huge country so why their?  Jobs are also at a premium in that area.

The villages may be a problem for schooling, Frigiliana for instance only have early age schools which would possibly mean a bus to the town every day.

Like 0      
10 Sep 2012 11:02 AM by seaviewgirl Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Hi doing research on the Internet nerja seems to be one of the nicer places in spain and people seem happy there and also there doesn't appear to be too much crime this is just what I have gathered from reading Forums etc, ... I am just looking at areas have not decided on where yet? Still researching also intend going over in 0ctober to check some areas out!! I am looking for a change of lifestyle we want to go somewhere where there are plenty of activities for children sports etc.. We are fed up with the life we have here we live in a rural area with not a lot happening and it's getting worse by the day!! Maybe u could recommend some other parts for us to look into!! Any advice appreciated thanks!

Like 0      
10 Sep 2012 11:25 AM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

seaview girl, I am going to the area of Nerja to look at properties on 24 October. Nerja is indeed a beautiful place but with very few foreigners their. Nerja is a small busy town with quite a lot to do although you will all need crash courses in speaking Spanish. I personally am in love with the surrounding villages, Torrox (all 3 of them!) Frigiliana and further villages inland towards the mountains, but I have no children to worry about as my 2 girls are grown up with children themselves. The main senior schools are in Nerja. Public transport is just OK.

I do suggest very strongly however that you do your homework, lots of homework, sickness & health,employment,  education, language, transport, where to live, finances lots of money to sustain you for maybe 12 months, & lots more. I do not see a lot of employment around except the usual holiday things (it's a place where the Spanish go - the Caves are within the top 5 visited places in Spain).

I wish you luck in your venture, but trawl this site, almost everything you need is here, if not ask, someone will know. Very few people however seem to know much about Nerja. I will help you as much as I can. Read lots & lots here including the blogs.

Best wishes,

Gerald

Like 0      
10 Sep 2012 2:22 PM by seaviewgirl Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Thanks Gerald for your reply I realise it's a giant leap and will not be going in to anything without researching it fully! My husband will continue to work in Ireland and will commute as he is doing already so that will remain as is. Just want to be somewhere that we feel safe and that has lots for the children to do I would hope to put the children into Spanish school as they are young enough it's just finding the right area that suits us as a family!!

Like 0      
10 Sep 2012 7:30 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

I don't want to rain on your parade, but at the present time, unless you are very wealthy( in which case ignore the rest of this post), it is not a good idea to bring children out here. It would be the lack of support that would worry me. would you work in Spain?If so, what would you do if one of your children was ill or in hospital, needing you with him, as expected, 24 hours a day. I have been in that situation -it was awful. Don't be seduced by the sun,  so called cheaper  lkiving costs,family orientated way of life, bilingual children etc. You need the whole family out there. you may cope well in UK when your husband works away for 3 weeks-it's so different in Spain. If he was working in Spain, paying into social security the family would be covered for health care. As he isn't, can you afford private health care( doesn't cover existing conditions)

No NHS dental care-if your children needed orthodontic care, braces etc, it's private and very expensive.

Contact the tax office in the UK, and find out about your tax status-if you are not making a tax declaration in Spain, it will affect your life  medical care etc.there in many ways. Even if your husband is financing you from the UK, if you are not registered on the Spanish tax system, you may have problems as you have to prove your income for residency..many, who have lived under the radar for years in Spain, not declaring anything,  are now having to toe the line.

Contact the DWP for advice.

I have seen families move out here, and many return to UK-no work, lack of money the chief reasons.It's such a huge undertaking to come out here, and a nightmare to return home if it doesn't work out. I just think it's not fair on the children.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

What causes fire? - 3 posts
Solicitor Advice - In process of buying - 2 posts
Bakery/cake course spain - 0 posts
AUSTRALIAN/SPANISH DUAL CITIZENSHIP RIGHTS - 10 posts
Opel Zafira 7 seater for sale - 0 posts
Fiesta Titanium 5 door - 0 posts
Statement card from Clinic?? - 12 posts
ANYONE HEARD OF THIS GROUP - 1 posts
Responsible rental coordinator, house minder Costa Brava area - 0 posts
What day should wages be paid in. - 2 posts
F.A.O.JUSTIN - 2 posts
informing spain that my car is now on french plates - 4 posts
Ryanair again - 6 posts
Lloyd TSB / Santander etc. UK and Spain current accounts - 43 posts
electro card meter - 0 posts
LIVING FOR 3 MONTHS AT A TIME IN sPAIN - 34 posts
price for free sat dish supplied and fitted - 5 posts
So what is the temperature at night? - 12 posts
still confused with RESIDENCIA rules - 31 posts
banking reform - 2 posts
NIE EX15 or Certificate of Residency EX18 ? - 3 posts
Satellite dishes the law ? - 15 posts
Murcia? - 13 posts
fire raging at the moment - 15 posts
PRIVATE OWNED SPANISH CARS FOR SALE - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x