Has anyone used Europa Network for internet and UK TV?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Aug 2012 1:06 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Tamara Hi...

Good to hear everything went well with the installation.

As regarding uploading photographs anywhere, provided the upload speed stays around 250Kbps you shouldnt have a problem. If it starts to fall off at any point get onto your supplier pronto... as sending attachments to hotmail and gmail addresses can be badly affected to the point where it becomes impossible. This is precisely what happened to us and it took months of complaints directly to movistar before they finally admitted there was a problem with the centro de distribucion in the village. Good result eventually however since they doubled our download / upload speeds onto a 6Mbps service and reduced the cost per month to under 30€,

Looks like a good choice on your part!

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
22 Aug 2012 1:34 PM by televisiontechnology Star rating in Costa Blanca South. 165 posts Send private message

Upload of 250kps! Not great, but o.k for emails or small files any less than this not ideal.

To accurately asess the download speeds also do the speed test during peak hours as this can vary considerably depending on how well their system copes during loaded periods.  On our  'internet vega baja' speeds can go into a crawl at 8-11pm

2.5 will be o.k most of the time, but if it drops under 2 can cause the streamed TV problems.

www.televisiontechnology.eu - Satellite TV, network telecomms, IPTV & community support.

www.facebook.com/televisiontechnology

Like 0      
22 Aug 2012 9:25 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar

Yes good point about trying the speed test in the evening, I need to try that.

Photo uploads to the blog were fine.  Webpage downloads all fine.  Haven't tried gaming, 

Tamara

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
21 Nov 2012 9:19 AM by EuropaNetwork Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Good morning all

I have come across this thread via Facebook where we can be found under europanetwork.telecoms and am very pleased that tamaraessex has had a good experience with us.

Just to clarify a few matters that have been raised - we do not obtain telephone numbers from websites/ip addresses! 

To quote foxbat "It's the fact that some telecomms companies can apparently take this a stage further by tying an IP addys to phone numbers that I find mildly disturbing..." I would agree - don't think the technology has got that far yet!

Again quoting foxbat "Also you have to ask the question do Europa actually have cover for ADSL installations in your area? The website implies that coverage is around Murcia and the Costa Blanca South. Certainly they dont have Wimax cover outside of thiat area." - We are able to offer adsl services anywhere in Spain and the Canaries, where there is a landline - should you not have a landline, we can arrange installation of this on your behalf via Telefonica/Movistar - their engineers can take anywhere from 24 hours to 2 weeks to install a line. Our wimax service is only offered in the Northern Costa Blanca at the moment, however we hope to be able to extend this coverage in the future.

The free UKTV service is available for all those who take out a package of minimum 3mb... we cannot support TV on a 1mb connection as the TV itself will require around 1.6mb.

This can be watched either on your pc screen, or with the pc connected to your television. As this means the pc will be in use, we would recommend but not oblige the purchase of a “set-top box” which is similar to a decoder. This should be placed near your television and plugged into the router. This means you can watch television without the need for the computer to be switched on, and also leaving it free to use. The set top box is priced at 129.95€

Should anyone have any queries, or would like further information, please do not hesitate to contact me

Like 0      
21 Nov 2012 10:03 AM by televisiontechnology Star rating in Costa Blanca South. 165 posts Send private message

Bear in mind, that if you do have TV through the internet -  if you have periodic speed issues or internet goes off, so does your TV. We reviewed the Europa TV through one of their local distributors (a computer shop), who decided to not offer his customers the service as felt was not stable enough for the TV.

We have both Costa Blanca Broadband for internet & Internet Vega Baja -  CBB at 4 meg, IVB 6 meg. Both are internet rebroadcasted microwave systems, but have not proven stable enough to watch iptv, speeds too variable during heavy loading periods - this is not a reflection upon Europa, more a general statement made that to stream directly from the internet, takes a little more speed and stability than seems generally available.

Be interested to know how Europa offers 'free TV' when IPTV usually requires a subscription payment, part of which goes to the licensing for the broadcasters.

Meaning it's either not free (wrapped up in the cost of the telephone package) or the streams are illegal feeds which should not be being rebroadcasted in the first place.

There are some serious changes afoot with the UK TV which could affect matters, especially if a satellite dish is used for original source (rebroadcasters also use dishes), so may be worth waiting a couple of weeks, by which time we should all know the outcome - this could affect both equipment required & channels on offer.

This message was last edited by televisiontechnology on 21/11/2012.

www.televisiontechnology.eu - Satellite TV, network telecomms, IPTV & community support.

Like 0      
21 Nov 2012 10:57 AM by EuropaNetwork Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

21 Nov 2012 11:04 AM by televisiontechnology Star rating in Costa Blanca South. 165 posts Send private message

Thanks for clarification. Looks like Spanish law is not the same as EU or UK law who both view this differently - however we are in Spain.

Like 0      
21 Nov 2012 11:22 AM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar

As I started this thread, I'd just like to update folks.  As I reported back in August, I signed up with Europa Network.  They organised the landline installation and it seemed to be very quick (faster than friends have reported who have organised it themselves).  Then the router arrived and I was online very straightforwardly.  I have nothing to do with the company but have recommended them on here a few times when appropriate - ie when people have a landline.

Taking earlier advice, I do feel that landline-based internet is always going to be faster and more reliable than satellite if one has the option, and certainly I've had no problems at all.

I rarely use the TV through the computer as I have both English and Spanish TV in the house.  However I did read the legal bit and was happy with it, and have watched telly through it once to check it works, so that  I know that friends coming to stay next month can watch via their laptop.

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
05 Mar 2013 12:08 PM by rentals-costablanca Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

If you cancel their service, make sure you cancel the direct debit at the same time. They continue to charge you even when your service has cancelled. I made a huge mistake and they have billed and taken a full months money from bank acccount.

Telefonica works out much cheaper for phone and internet and you get a faster (10mb) and better service.

Like 0      
11 Mar 2013 5:03 PM by televisiontechnology Star rating in Costa Blanca South. 165 posts Send private message

Below - Torresat / Ole (same) also known to pull this stunt. If you do not cancel account direct debit authorisation - BEFORE telling them you wish to cancel service, there is a more than reasonable chance a €65 will be deducted from your account in form of an admin bil. Heard complaints of this a few times.

Like 0      
23 Jul 2013 3:20 PM by Travlur Star rating in Galicia Spain / Vale.... 34 posts Send private message

Travlur´s avatar

Just had Movistar phone and Broadband installed in Ponteareas Galicia through Europa Network, and they have been outstanding. Was put off by other negative comments elsewhere on forums but am very glad I went ahead through them; the prices were better than going direct through Movistar, I got outstanding support, and more for my money. Just wanted to set the record straight for other people considering Europa Network; they have been exceptional.

Like 0      
23 Jul 2013 4:06 PM by televisiontechnology Star rating in Costa Blanca South. 165 posts Send private message

First post and a single glowing recommendation for Europa? mmmmm

I don't have any issues with Europa, just a little suspicious in nature when people spring up out of nowhere on their first post recommending companies.

Generally recommendations from forum members who have made a few posts over a period of time, tend to flag up as more believable

My apologies if the above is incorrect, I can't help being a little sceptical..

I should also be pointed out that when dealing telecommunications - that TV & phone should not always be offered together as not always do the two systems work that well together.  For example TV down the internet (taking legalities to one side, which is an ongoing issue) does not have the same quality as an HD satellite system. It is however a good option if a dish is not available to you. So potentially it is sometimes best to discuss TV & phone as separate issues.  Europa may be good with internet, but in summary there may be better options with the TV. Will vary depending on peoples individual location in Spain.

This message was last edited by televisiontechnology on 23/07/2013.

This message was last edited by televisiontechnology on 23/07/2013.

Like 0      
03 Aug 2013 6:49 PM by Grannygolfer Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Well, it;s been intetresting reading the positive and negative comments about Europa with the negative far outweighing the positive.. I've been with them for nearly 2 years and am pulling my hair out. Originally signed up for 3mb download speed and phone line. They gave me a new phone number as I didn't want to port my old Telitec no over. My bills continue to have the old number on them and people receiving my calls can't understand why the 0044 prefix is coming up (Telitec gave us an 0845 no). That's just a annoyance that Europa do not seem to be able to fix. Even worse, following a burglary in my house during the night in which my mobile phone was taken amongst many other things I was unable to access the 112 number on the house phone resulting in me having to wake a neighbour at 7am to call the Guardia. 'That shouldn't have happened' Europa stated - well it did.

My main bugbear is with the internet speed. I had major problems last year when I was barely getting 1mb download speed. I was constantly having to re-boot the wireless router, as per their instructions, and eventually after a few months they agreed to supply up to 6mb for the 3mb cost. Joke. I was rarely getting 3mb but at least we could watch our TV as some channels are reliant on the internet connection. Things settled down for a while but now the problems have arisen again. Internet speed is down to 1mb or lower again and my hubby's going bananas because the Test Match keeps going on and off!! Phoned them yesterday, they phoned back at 5.45pm but we just missed the call. Phoned them back to be told the tech people are speaking to another customer and they won't be able to phone you as they finish at 6pm - they'll have to deal with it tomorrow. They've not been in touch today.

They make mistakes on their bills - my last one shows calls to Poland and Romania. When I looked closer it was because a digit had been missed off or added and they were actually UK calls.

I'm looking around for an alternative internet supplier, a bit limited as we have no landline so would be greatful for any recommendations in Costa Blanca North area - Gata/Pedreguer.

Like 0      
03 Aug 2013 7:33 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

I am sending you a private mesage

Like 0      
03 Aug 2013 7:56 PM by rentals-costablanca Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

When you cancel make sure you cancel the direct debit with your bank or you won't get the refund due. I'm still waiting since February.

Like 0      
04 Aug 2013 11:34 AM by Travlur Star rating in Galicia Spain / Vale.... 34 posts Send private message

Travlur´s avatar

Hello doubters

I would say hmmmmm to you back, as I suspect you have your own agendas. I am just a person, totally unconnected with Europa. My business is in Spain (search for "antique swords eu" and you will find my site, I am not allowed to post links here apparently), which I operate there for many reasons (my other residences being in Portugal and the UK). You are welcome to contact me and I will confirm these are my posts, that I have no axe to grind (unlike you it seems) and that I definately do not work for any telcoms company, let alone Europa.

I do not use my phone and / or internet much in Spain, but I am so far very glad I booked with Europa. They called me when DHL were giving some BS about not being able to find my address (to deliver the router) and then called DHL back, and lo and behold DHL suddenly found my address. I am impressed with the 0843 number. And I am impressed with the TV service they provide (I only use it in background on my PC, not on the TV).

The broadband is not that fast but that is not Europa's fault as the netowrk provider (Movistar) controls that I presume. It is fast enough; not brillaint, but OK, and not of Europa's doing.

Europa have been outstanding in their customer service and I would recommend them to anyone, as I hereby do.

Here's the cruncher. I agree with Aussies, that Poms are whingers and whiners and I suspect that is probably the driving factor behind negative outweighing positive, vis-a-vis only bad news on TV, that is, the British only like to talk about bad things. I also admit that Aussies whinge and whine to!

Have a nice day.

Mark

This message was last edited by Travlur on 04/08/2013.

Like 0      
19 Aug 2013 11:03 AM by cuius Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Up until last week I would have been in with the "positives" regarding Europa - I've been using them for the past 2+ years without problem. Given I'm in an area (Galicia) where satellite dishes are inpracticable, the "free" tv service was useful. However suddenly last week, without warning, the 40 or so TV/radio channels were drastically reduced to 5 plus some obscure worthless channels - no radio. Also the channels were unwatchable due to buffering every minute or so. 

Presumably they'll soon be advertising their "improved" service - be warned

Like 0      
19 Aug 2013 11:51 AM by Travlur Star rating in Galicia Spain / Vale.... 34 posts Send private message

Travlur´s avatar

Yup, for what it is worth, I am not happy with the situation either. I do not use the apartment / TV service much, but it came in handy. They took it off without warning, then introduced some phoney improved service which does not work. I have / had the same buffering problem. They say they have fixed that but I have not been to the apartment since to check. But it is horrible now the limited channel choice. As they took it off without notice, I am not going to invest in a set top box, as who knows if they do the same to that. I am in Galicia too.

This message was last edited by Travlur on 19/08/2013.

Like 0      
19 Aug 2013 4:16 PM by I_Love_javea Star rating in Gibraltar / Morocco .... 125 posts Send private message

Simples, there shite! Lie about speed, sell tv package then just change / cut the channels available (use excuse that this is free (you ae only paying for the phone or internet not the tv so why are you complaining). TV is unwatchable on large tv screen, no HD, the list goes on. Treat you as morons and say everything is ok at there end must be your end. Just look at all the complaints on the really great busy forums available for expats.

Shiny happy people - where?

Like 0      
12 Sep 2013 11:18 AM by televisiontechnology Star rating in Costa Blanca South. 165 posts Send private message

With IPTV, there are a lot of exaggerated claims being made in terms of performance. An example of this is companies claiming you can receive HD from a 2 meg download speed, which is simply not true. Boxes supplied and current compression techniques h.264 simply to not allow this (h.265 due for the next gen boxes) may well do, but for now many companies are simply making claims which are not possible.

The reason why Europa state the TV is free, which technically it's not as part of a bundled package to entice you - they do this for legal reasons, as profiting from retransmitting streams without license is a pretty grey area at the moment (not that anyone seems to be facing prosecution over this) - so covering their back. The Spanish law & the EU law regaring this, do not seem to concurr.

We have been testing a number of these type of systems since the beginning of the year - to determine the real performance facts, as well as the best type of equipment to use & recommend.

Everything you need to know about IPTV

http://tvtech.sharepoint.com/Pages/IPTVCostaBlancaUKTelevision.aspx

Like 1      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Persiana Repairs - 4 posts
Hello from Spain - 5 posts
Problems with living in Spain - 21 posts
Reporting Crimes (telephone service) - 0 posts
Shere Punjab (Delhi Chownk) Pueblo Principe - 0 posts
Living Hell in Paradise - 13 posts
quadbike mechanic - 0 posts
Tower Fan for sale - 0 posts
Pool Usage and President Powers - 12 posts
Renting a sub-standard property - How do we stand? - 13 posts
insurance - 1 posts
Friends needed - 1 posts
Capital Gains Tax - 0 posts
Water boletin change of name - 1 posts
insurance - 4 posts
downloading kindle books onto computer - 5 posts
Credit card PINs - 0 posts
Dickmanns car hire Murcia - 19 posts
Residencia or NOT - 4 posts
Hello Everyone - 0 posts
Buying a camper van; Spain v UK? - 7 posts
moving to ciudad quesada - 3 posts
Buy a new car in Spain [NOT SECONDHAND] - 0 posts
Clubs to join in the Manilva district. - 2 posts
BE HONEST...Would you stay in Spain if it wasn't for the weather? - 244 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 93

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x