BE HONEST...Would you stay in Spain if it wasn't for the weather?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Aug 2012 12:37 AM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

A couple we know have a camper van, they use it when they visit UK (including taking their pets), for holidays and even when just visiting friends overnight, but they do actually own it!

This message was last edited by Poppyseed on 14/08/2012.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
14 Aug 2012 12:53 AM by DonLochnagar Star rating in Mazarron. 161 posts Send private message

I think despite all the other advantages mentioned we are or are going to be in Spain, primarily for the weather.  I have been back in Scotland, organising my move out since the end of May and I can quite literally count on the fingers of one hand the days where it has not rained at some point or the wind would have cut you in two.  The weather in February in Murcia is better than Scotland in the summer and the fact that you can't organise any outdoor event after 50+ years has become tiresome.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2012 12:53 AM by kernaghan Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

Well actually we would love to live in Spain however only allowed to stay 90 days within 180days so that means we have the expense of returning home twice a year.

We nearly purchased a property last year however due to the difficulty just obtaining an NIE made us change our mind and now we rent in different locations along the Costas.

We love going in the off season as find the weather far too hot in the Summer months, leave Australia in 4 weeks be interesting to see if the cost of living has increased though we were there in May and didnt notice much difference from October 2011, one difference is our dollar is 12.5% better off.

This message was last edited by kernaghan on 14/08/2012.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2012 1:02 AM by DonLochnagar Star rating in Mazarron. 161 posts Send private message

Kernaghan, there is little or no problem getting an NIE if you use a gestor, that's their job.  You should have the best of both worlds.  I always say that if I won or made enough money, I would never see another winter anywhere!

Like 0      
14 Aug 2012 1:40 AM by kernaghan Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

DonLochnagar, yes we had a gestor a paid translator and solicitor only to be told by the National Police Station administrator in Torre del Mar that we were unable to obtain an NIE unless we had a contract for a property, they were unaware of this so left the gestor with power of attorney to obtain for us once the contract was made available hence the change of mind to rent.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2012 8:20 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Kernaghan

I do not understand what happened with your application for an NIE.  I am sure  there was some misunderstanding

There is no requirement to own or rent and in fact, one cannot do either of these, nor open a bank account, enter into any financial agreements, sign up to utilities etc,  without an NIE.  

I can only guess, but maybe your gestor said you needed Residencia (if you are non European) or you wanted to register on the EU Citizen’s Register, or they said you were intending  to spend more than 3 months, permanently, in Spain.  For that there are more requirements

Like 0      
14 Aug 2012 8:45 AM by kernaghan Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

johnzx, yes it was all to do with us being Australians however spent heaps of money then after waiting while the public servants took there breakfast together whilst we all waited to be told cant do it just gave us a bad feeling about having to deal with the whole debacle.

Love Spain and have introduced other friends who now spend their holidays there than going to Bali.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2012 9:31 AM by prospain Star rating in Spain & Hong Kong. 38 posts Send private message

prospain´s avatar

Not sure how this topic got onto NIE numbers. But in Spain you need to be patient. It’s not all kangaroos and fosters like back home. There’s no need to rush things here, because if you do it today, what are you going to do tomorrow?

HEAD SPANISH TAX COLLECTOR

Like 0      
14 Aug 2012 10:37 AM by doedoe Star rating in Berkshire. 59 posts Send private message

You need to purchase property through an agent, employ a GOOD lawyer/solicitor & between them they will organise for you to collect your NIE with the correct paperwork.  I recoment you check every stage with the Lawyer to make sure the property you are purchasing has a Habitation Certificate, get the solicitor to put this in writing. Don't get fooled into paying a Builder Cash for the installatiion of Utility Meters and get a receipt to prove you have paid the Builder for this service.

All individual owners on our complex had different lawyers & agents yet they all failed to obtain the Habitation Certificates for the homes we purchesed 5 years ago. The Builder is letting the unsold units to non nationals who fail to pay the community fees and steal the utility power by breaking into the meter cupboards. The builder owes 150k + in community fees & the electricity bill when he was Building the complex, and we doubt that he will ever pay.  Our beautiful complex is suffering because the local council refuse to provide the habitation certificate. 5 years we still have no personal meters, the road is not built as well as many other problems the builder has not completed.

I advise you to check all these areas before you sign a contract. Read all the paperwork you sign, don't trust any of these professionals unless they put the information in writing and sign. Don't pay until you get these gaurantees.

I love Spain and still want to live there some time soon.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2012 11:41 AM by prospain Star rating in Spain & Hong Kong. 38 posts Send private message

prospain´s avatar

doedoe

‘’I love Spain and still want to live there some time soon.’’

After what you have described what happened to you, I doubt you are fit to advise anyone, did you escape from  Rampton?

This message was last edited by prospain on 14/08/2012.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2012 11:56 AM by mikelesch Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Spain is a beautiful country, with (mostly) super people, despite the best efforts of numerous environmental vandals (i.e. greedy builders, corrupt municipal authorities) to destroy vistas, to kill trees, to pollute and soil anything and everything not within the fence surrounding properties and urbanisations, and to fill the country with forests of display boards and flag poles that are left to rot for years. In other words, the individuals are often lovable, but when these individuals form official groupings, with tasks, deliverables etc, trouble starts.

Anyone who contemplates moving to Spain - as opposed to just spending a few weeks on holiday there, like myself, divorced from reality and reasonably wealthy - must take careful note of one cardinal fact:  Spain was ruled by the Saracens, for hundreds of years, and while all this goes back to the 17th century,  there is an indelible image of this era imprinted on many aspects of life in today’s Spain. Above all, the legal system is absurd and close to dysfunctional. From the perspective of Western Europe, many of the processes we take for granted in countries such as Switzerland, Germany, Scandinavia and the UK do not apply to Spain. It is still something of a Wild West territory. Even the short-holidaying owner of an apartment on a fair-sized urbanisation, with a president and administrator, knows the many frustrations that come with non-paying rogue owners, endless disputes about gardens, lawyers, pools and renovation, water, electricity, and expenses.

Living in Spain successfully (or not), boils down to your ability (or lack of it) to squeeze the positives out of the situation and displace the negatives. This is partly a state of mind – and we are all very different in this respect – but also a lot about money. If you have money to insulate yourself from the frustrations that come with owning and running a household in Spain, then Spain is great (provided you are also able ignore the environmental vandalism I started with). If you face financial pressures, I can see that Spain can be very challenging – even the climate (cooling and heating costs a lot). Speaking Spanish is a very important plus.

There is really no silver bullet for anyone who has grown so frustrated that he or she finds life in Spain a bind. Going back to the UK is one option, but again only with money. The other option is to immerse oneself more vigorously in the community, including the Spanish community and culture (in their language, of course), enjoy nature (at near-zero cost), travel in the country to explore its glorious history and stop making comparisons which focus on the good in the UK and the bad in Spain.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2012 12:05 PM by kernaghan Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

prospain, love the photo, this is how we found civil servants, we eat kangaroo, great steaks, Fosters is the bottom selling beer in   Australia, thats why it was shipped to the UK.

doedoe, thanks for letting me know the problems with real estate in Spain, we were looking at a cottage not in a complex however will not invest any money there now, we will still holiday and then return to our wonderful country with no chance of being ripped off.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2012 12:35 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear All,

one point that has been raised is the health issues, especially arthiritis.

it has been said before, that this can disappear in certain areas of Spain, even for those with long term problems.

it has even been said of one woman with dual homes - invalid in uk - athelete in Spain (Benidorm).

Bobaol says he is seeing the benefit in his area.

I would expect that this and the weather generally is paramount but Rioja at Lidl (Spain) prices is indeed a temptation.

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
14 Aug 2012 2:16 PM by prospain Star rating in Spain & Hong Kong. 38 posts Send private message

prospain´s avatar

Good post mikelesch

Yes basically a corrupt lazy country living in the dark ages. More interested in going back to bed in the afternoon after morning coffee than doing a day’s work. More interested in destroying their own environment than sorting out the countries debt. Sometimes I think it is a nation that is oblivious to the outside world.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2012 4:10 PM by sutton47 Star rating in mojacar. 3 posts Send private message

Surely the way of life in Spain is a direct result of the weather.If one had lousy weather then Spain would be like Belgium or Northern France.Time spent with tappas on the terrace , hours of dolce far niente on the beach or by the pool are all a direct result of a super climate. Nowhere in Europe is perfect, believe me, but if you gotta have some problems or upsets better they happen in the sunshine than in the p.....g rain !

Like 0      
14 Aug 2012 4:24 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

Am I the only one bored above my eyebrows with this post ?

EOS  Please, please close the thread.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2012 5:07 PM by I_Love_Javea Star rating in Gibraltar / Morocco .... 125 posts Send private message

Elaine, no-one is forcing you. Get a life!

Shiny happy people - where?

Like 0      
14 Aug 2012 5:26 PM by mikelesch Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

To Sutton47:  well, it is clearly tempting to relate, simplistically, weather to life style and national characteristics.  But, pray, Sutten47, can you explain to me any parallels to Silicon Valley in California?

Like 0      
14 Aug 2012 6:03 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

greatstart-what on earth do you mean-levels of abortion and euthanasia going through the roof in UK?!

crazymo-full marks to you for maintaining a home in UK and Spain, soley on a UK state pension-how on earth do you do it? Does it mean you rely on savings; some out here can't maintain 1 home on a state pension. What's the secret?

Like 0      
14 Aug 2012 7:41 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Yes the weather does play a part in us going to Spain like to go February to May then  September to November.  But love going to our apartment as I have said many times on the forum. Feel more relaxed and love the sun and everyone is so friendly. Find food cheaper especially veg. Much cheaper to eat out than the UK well at least where we live.

I run the two places on our pensions so perhaps we are the lucky ones. I do get a bit depressed when we come back to UK but snap out of it after I have seen the grandchildren and rest of family and look forward to going back again.

Patricia

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Very Proud - 22 posts
Endesa - Are they overcharging everyone in Spain? - 19 posts
Prescription charges reclaim - 9 posts
New arrival in Gibraltar - 4 posts
inviting a non-European to Spain - 25 posts
AENA backs down and considers removing air bridges - 0 posts
Telephone and Internet installation - 6 posts
Trees/bushes - 2 posts
Single Bespoke Pine Bed for Sale - 0 posts
Airport Run to Calpe - 2 posts
Just moved to Los Boliches - 0 posts
Electricity costs. - 6 posts
So there is a non driver and 4 young kids....what do we do? - 2 posts
NuevaGalicia Bank in Tenerife - 0 posts
Does "rent a car la zenia" still exist? - 2 posts
Electrical Meters, Electrical Meter Boxes and Endesa. - 31 posts
Permanent residency - 4 posts
Money in Bank - 11 posts
Crime Victims Online Crime Reporting Service - 0 posts
Online Crime Reporting Service - 0 posts
Javea Long Term Let Required - 2 posts
Caravans parked in community car park - 9 posts
itv - 5 posts
Spanish Lawyers - 3 posts
Spelcheker - 18 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 239

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x