Electricity costs.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Aug 2012 8:44 PM by willow Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

My community is shortly coming off the developers metered electricity & on to individual owners meters.

The developer has put in a three phase supply. I am led to believe that this is excessive as a higher fuse rating is needed which makes the monthly standing charge higher than is neccessary.

However we have the option of having our individual supply changed to single phase which may result in a lower rated fuse & thus lower monthly standing charges. 

Has anyone any experience of this? It seems that the options are either a10.38 amp fuse running three phase or a 7.7 amp fuse running on single phase.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2012 10:53 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

I think you may be getting a trifle confused here over terminology...

Contracts with suppliers are based on consumption measured in Kilowat t / Hours not in terms of current expressed in Amps...

A 7 amp fused supply wont even be eough to boil a kettle let alone provide hot water  or run a washing machine. For tthat matter neither would a 10Amp fused supply!

A 7 KW/hr supply would be just about adequate especially if you use the aprtment during the winter.

10 KW/hr is a bit overkill.

In any event the savings to be made via standing charges are minimal when compared to the high cost of the electricity itself which is now rather more than the UK.

You may well run into additional costs if you elect to switch from 3phase to single phase...

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
02 Aug 2012 10:54 AM by mariposa07 Star rating. 82 posts Send private message

Hi there,

our urbanization went through a similar process in 2008.  However, 3 phase electricity is normally used for commercial properties, or very large properties, are you saying that this is what has been recommended for your private property?

A standard house without pool normally has sufficient with 5.75kw and the standing charges are cheaper than the next one up which is just under 10kw.

However, if you go to Iberdrola.es you will find all the relevant prices there, you may also be interested in opting for Tarifa Nocturna, if you live here, it's similar to Economy 7 back in UK, except that it runs for 14hrs a day at a cheaper rate (currently less than half price).

If in doubt why not call Iberdrola and ask them to clarify for you, they are normally very helpful.

Good luck.

Margo

Like 0      
02 Aug 2012 4:45 PM by willow Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, the developer did install three phase & the development is only apartments!

So what do you guys recommend for my three bed, three bath apartment with air con/heating, underfloor heating in bathrooms & just normal cooking & dishwasher & washing machine facilities?

Do I pay the approx. 200 euro cost to change to single phase or stick with the three phase & have a higher fuse rating?

My wife & I live here permanantly.

Like 0      
02 Aug 2012 7:20 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

My response would be a 9.2 KWH single phase supply...

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
03 Aug 2012 7:40 AM by El alamillo Star rating in Nottingham & El Alam.... 221 posts Send private message

I run my 3 bedroom house on 5.75kw. Never had a problem in 10 years.

I have a pool as well. Iberdrola fitted a duel metre to give me off peak power 11pm to 11am.

Like 0      
03 Aug 2012 9:22 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

We have lived permanently for 10 years in my apartment.  We have A/C, with a heat pump,  all electric cooking and water heating (on the occasions the solar system is down i.e. no sun).  We have had an ICP rated 20v,  for 9 years and  never had a cut out.  We are on 4.4 kW

From a bill:- 

FACTURACION DE LA POTENCIA

4,4 KW x 28 DIAS x 0,059817

EUR/KW Y DIA                                  7,37

This message was last edited by johnzx on 03/08/2012.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

So there is a non driver and 4 young kids....what do we do? - 2 posts
NuevaGalicia Bank in Tenerife - 0 posts
Does "rent a car la zenia" still exist? - 2 posts
Electrical Meters, Electrical Meter Boxes and Endesa. - 31 posts
Permanent residency - 4 posts
Money in Bank - 11 posts
Crime Victims Online Crime Reporting Service - 0 posts
Online Crime Reporting Service - 0 posts
Javea Long Term Let Required - 2 posts
Caravans parked in community car park - 9 posts
itv - 5 posts
Spanish Lawyers - 3 posts
Spelcheker - 18 posts
Furniture Co - 3 posts
which place to spend winter - 20 posts
MasterCard or Visa - 2 posts
Golf buggy - 1 posts
British TV channels Phase 1 - 1 posts
My son has a contract phone - 9 posts
Where can I buy a car - 5 posts
Bar Viceversa in Estepona port - 0 posts
Gerry Marsden - 0 posts
Car sales or swap... - 0 posts
contract cancellation - 1 posts
Moving to Manilva Area - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x