BE HONEST...Would you stay in Spain if it wasn't for the weather?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Aug 2012 5:22 PM by haydngj Star rating in ALGORFA. 403 posts Send private message

haydngj´s avatar

sorry folk wrong place to be going off on one  sorry again

Like 0      
11 Aug 2012 6:51 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

sorry or not - you are absolutely right - but unfortunately two wrongs don't help!!!!

as for Spain free heat for life plus free electricity as well, if you buy a couple of panels

the winter fuel allowance is a silly joke, don't you think?

Norman

Like 0      
11 Aug 2012 7:30 PM by ohnoes Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

haydngj, agree completely. The amount lost through dodgy benefit claims is pee in the ocean compared to tax evasion. Whilst two wrongs don't make a right, harassing, demonising and persecuting the poor on the off chance that a handful may be making dudgy claims (many of which are due to DWP errors - paticularly tax credit) whilst actively fending off any attempts at regulating tax evasion and blatent corruption at the top speaks not of genuine concern for fradulent use of tax revenue, but of victiminisation and criminalisation of the poor.

maddiemack I do know as individuals, many people do try and help their family. Indeed, my in-laws (of the baby boomer generation) do a lot for me and my partner. However, collectively, it is the same demographic that first tore up the post-war consensus and fervently pushed Thatcherism and the destruction of British infrastructure and industry, whilst bemoaning the subsequent state of destruction that those policies left behind, and also tend to form the largest group amongst those who demand that we be "tough" on "scroungers", yet must be "realistic" about tax evasion by the uber-rich.

Wether or not it is herd mentality or just a lack of joined-up and critical thinking (too much Daily Mail?) I'm not sure, but there is a complete mental disconnect by many between their political policies toward social problems and their horror at the effect of those same attitudes on their own children and grandchildren when those same policies are put into practice.

Like 0      
11 Aug 2012 7:45 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Yes, tax avoidance rather than evasion is a problem but the post war generation you are talking about also encouraged the cradle to grave welfare state which needs to be dismantled and rebuilt to suit a modern age.  I am young, with a degree, and I have been in retail running my own business for 3 years, and I can tell you that the number of state dependant families is very worrying and more damaging to society than tax avoiders.  And the cry of 'I have paid into the system' turns into the cry of 'my father paid into the system' and then 'my grandparents paid into the system' so I am entitled.  Entitled my ass.  In the UK there is work, and it is sad that SOME people would rather live off the state and let the jobs go to the eastern Europeans.   ohnoes - sanctimonious or what?  Are you DB whatever in disguise?  

Like 0      
11 Aug 2012 9:54 PM by campoman Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

one wonders what job exactly ohnoes does, if any ? he has been lucky enough to do some traveling round the word from his comments on life in Dubi etc, wish us lucky "had it on a plate" baby boomes had had such opertunities,!!!! lucky if we got a week in Margate  ( nothing wrong with Margate  by the way ) not all of us baby boomers came from middle class families and went to uni, I just went straight to work@ 15  in a factory ,and my husband worked in the print , on crap wages for 3yrs while  doing his apprentice, ( and there will be  no Maxwell pension to look forward to !!)but we did manage to buy  our own home by  SAVEING  UP , and going withoutno big fancy wedding or honeymoon, ,having seconhand furniture, prams ,etc and   one old banger.always breaking down!  (and we had  to find  the 10 % deposit required to buy  it ,and then pay the 12% interest rates on the mortgage !!! we were only allowed to borrow twice the mans wages back then  are you really trying to say your student loan/debt  will be as big as our mortgage was !!!, twice your wages, 50k pluss student debt ??????????

I know of plenty of "students " who are only @ uni for the large loan / hand out , they have no intension of getting a job and paying it pack ,most of these will fail the exams  anyway as dont care and  dont bother to study ,  some are single mums who would loose all their  benifits and be worse off  if they did get a job!  so they will never pay back anything

there is work available , but the  jobs i had are only taken by Eastern Europeans now , but we "had it on a plate we did "

but hey ho must get back to work , earn some money pay some more  tax ,and read  me Daily Mail .............................

Like 0      
11 Aug 2012 10:03 PM by I_Love_Javea Star rating in Gibraltar / Morocco .... 125 posts Send private message

Yes, I love it here for many reasons.

Have been here for 26 years and brought my family up here.

The only thing I find disconcerting, is the propensity for many Brits to bemoan their situation.

Spain has been good to me and my family, I have travelled the world and Icould live anywhere I choose.

I choose Spain

Shiny happy people - where?

Like 0      
11 Aug 2012 10:15 PM by TamaraEssex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

TamaraEssex´s avatar

Well said I Love Javea, especially for dragging this thread back to the original question!  Yes, I too love it for much more than the weather.

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
12 Aug 2012 12:04 AM by Daniels Star rating in Waterlooville & Pent.... 220 posts Send private message

Yes if I could I would live in Spain, but must work to pay mortgage.

Having just read this thread I am suprise and some of the comments made about the baby boomers. I am one and also one of seven children, parents worked hard (no sick pay or holiday pay then - no work no money) to move from council home. Had normal schooling, college. Worked since 12 years old, paper round, helped on milk round, stacked shelves, worked on building site - onwards and upwards, never been unemployed in 37 yrs. I do what I have to do and go where I have to go to earn a living. Nobody has given me anything, whatever I have I have earned. It seems today work comes second, now everyone what's a degree....... most leaving school when I left never went to university as it had to be paid for, normally by the parents. We got jobs and worked our way up.

My father gave me peice of advice......... work hard, harder and longer than the person working alongside you. First you will get noticed and secondly if things get bad you won't be the first to go.

Get rid of the handouts, something for nothing. If finacial help is needed and the social helps out... then contibute by working for the money..... nothing for nothing. The Eastern Europeans seem find work in the UK, why can't the British.

it's a tough life - get on with it. Love Spain by the way!!

Like 0      
12 Aug 2012 12:24 AM by markbentley Star rating in Halifax, West Yorksh.... 329 posts Send private message

Good post Daniels couldn't agree more

Like 0      
12 Aug 2012 7:55 AM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

Hi georgia

you forgot London!

Be careful of the worm that turned. Libya. Egypt, now Syria etc.

Yes correct, but we are getting there!!!

Union Organizes Store Raids in Spain

By ILAN BRAT

A small Spanish union orchestrated raids on two supermarkets in one of the poorest parts of the country earlier this week, in an attempt to draw attention to the problems faced by the unemployed.

On Tuesday, hundreds of members affiliated with the Andalusian Union of Workers, which represents mainly rural laborers in southern Spain, forcibly carted off a dozen shopping carts full of milk, pasta, beans and other food from one supermarket, and pressed a second to donate a similar amount of food the next day. Most was distributed to local food banks.

Spanish police arrested two participants in the raids on suspicion of theft; they were released Thursday, and likely will be called to testify in court.

This is really going to perk up the tourist industry and property prices!!!

This message was last edited by potblack on 12/08/2012.

Like 0      
12 Aug 2012 3:05 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear All,

the BBC is doing a program on 2 covering the plight of the young in finding work in the EU under current conditions.

what is a food bank?

nevertheless if we simplified our laws we could release an army of unnecessary lawyers into the market place

if we simplified our tax we could close a whole tax avoidance industry and ditto

if we simplified our benefit system we could release most of the workers and ditto

if we made marriage a financial benefit again we could reduce the single parent households and save millions

if we...........

there is a lot that needs doing

but for the moment I would welcome 300+ days of sunshine with its free heat and electricity, though they tell me that if I have 12 panels @£16,000 I would be able to get some free electric even here.

Regards

Norman

This message was last edited by normansands on 12/08/2012.

Like 0      
12 Aug 2012 4:10 PM by ohnoes Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Yes if I could I would live in Spain, but must work to pay mortgage.

Having just read this thread I am suprise and some of the comments made about the baby boomers. I am one and also one of seven children, parents worked hard (no sick pay or holiday pay then - no work no money) to move from council home.

If you look at my original post, I said specifically that it is the war generation who worked to rebuild the UK, and also them who instituted the welfare system that you dislike so much. They built that system because it was realised that people did not have live on the streets, starve and die of treatable illness whilst others did not. It was realised that Britain had abundant natural and man-made resources that could end this problem. Upon realising this, action was taken.

Excusus: Know what you mean about the mortgage, but don't let it stop you. I brought a flat down south before moving up here, I just rented it out and rent here, with a fully managed rental agent. You could do the same easily enough in Spain, and you can get some rock bottom rents in Spain right now. The rent from my tenant pays the mortgage and leaves enough over to keep aside for any repairs, and insurance premiums etc., and I just pay the rent on my place here as if it were mortgage. 

Had normal schooling, college. Worked since 12 years old, paper round, helped on milk round, stacked shelves, worked on building site - onwards and upwards, never been unemployed in 37 yrs.

Well I'm happy for you, and you are very lucky to have grown up and live through an era when work was widely available (my mother told me similar stories from when she was growing up - got bored with her job, left it one day and got another one the next). But the current generations don't have that luxury, and there is no reason to persecute and dehumanise them for being born in the wrong era - hemmed in by de-industrialisation policies dreamed up by a previous generation.

Look at Liverpool, Newcastle, Glasgow, the Welsh Valleys, East London. Millions of good jobs in industry were destroyed long before me, let alone the current school-leavers, even got our NI cards. I was 5 years old when Thatcher and the NUM faced off, but even then it was clear what was going on. I don't blame individuals (except those directly responsible), but I will say that it was your generation who voted for these policies and allowed the destruction to continue, and who now blame the victims of the economic fallout for being "lazy" when they cannot find work in an industrial desert. 

What about the youth of Greece and Spain?  Is laziness really increasingly rapidly like some kind of epidemic, as unemployment has soared since 2008? Or is the problem perhaps not with the unemployed themselves, but with the self-righteous bastions of morality (the PP and PSOE) that sit in mansions and demand we throw ourselves under the bus for the sake of their sacred bottom line?

I do what I have to do and go where I have to go to earn a living. Nobody has given me anything, whatever I have I have earned. It seems today work comes second, now everyone what's a degree....... most leaving school when I left never went to university as it had to be paid for, normally by the parents. We got jobs and worked our way up.

Oh not the "I am an island of rugged individualism" argument. That goes back to the Depression era, when Hoover opposed FDR instituting the New Deal, believing that some mystical "Spirit of Rugged Individualism" would save the day. It was fiction then and it is now. No one in an industrialised first-world society can possibly *not* take something from anyone. You use electricity, use tap water, walk on a pavement, make use of road vehicles, take the train, went to state school, state college, visit a GP, and have probably taken prescription medicines and been in a government hospital, may well have an NHS dentist, probably (hopefully) don't carry a gun at all times, don't test your food before you eat it. Perhaps had extended sick leave from work, or paternity leave.

Is *any* of the above true? then you are scrounging off the government, my friend. All of the above involves state-subsidy, or was originally built, upgraded or made possible by state funding. But you pay taxes, right? Well, so do I - so how do I know that my sacred tax dollars aren't subsidising your lifestyle choices, and vice versa? Do you count exactly how much tax you pay on absolutely all your activities, and then calculate exactly how much tax revenue has been expended on the portion of services you use, including such direct and easy to calculate costs as the security accorded to you by intelligence agencies as you go about day to day business? No? Then how do you know for sure you aren't sponging off my tax dollars? Or that I'm not sponging off yours? 

We don't, and quite frankly, it doesn't bother me if you are, and perhaps you should worry less about the reverse. Just like the other great apes, we are not solitary. We live in a *society* which by definition means collective effort, collaboration and co-operation. To make this far more efficient, to make it less inconsistent and random, and to allow us to get on with our own lives without having to constantly command, submit-to, beg, ingratiate or bestow favour on a multitude of others, we delegate the vast majority of this collaborative work to the indirect democracy of government. Humans have done this for thousands of years with great success.

My father gave me peice of advice......... work hard, harder and longer than the person working alongside you. First you will get noticed and secondly if things get bad you won't be the first to go.

I see no problem with this. If one has a job and wants to keep it, then it's good advice. Having a decent union is best. My grandfather always told me to always do your best to get in a place with a good union, otherwise you'll be "Used-up, then tossed out with the rubbish. You need a good union"

Get rid of the handouts, something for nothing. If finacial help is needed and the social helps out... then contibute by working for the money..... nothing for nothing. The Eastern Europeans seem find work in the UK, why can't the British.

No one gets anything for nothing from the state, unless you never purchase any goods whatsoever that incur VAT, duties or tariffs.

it's a tough life - get on with it. Love Spain by the way!!

I see what you did there, well done! 

Like 0      
12 Aug 2012 4:15 PM by ohnoes Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

but for the moment I would welcome 300+ days of sunshine with its free heat and electricity, though they tell me that if I have 12 panels @£16,000 I would be able to get some free electric even here.

Actually - I'm going back a few years now, though - I was always suprised that household solar in Spain wasn't more common on houses. With apartments it's not really viable (too smaller a roof area for panels relative to the energy consumption of the building), but on the urbanisations I would have imagined people would jump at it. 

Like 0      
12 Aug 2012 5:46 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

First, I don't know how you have to time or inclination to reply in such detail to every little thing.  I was not even born when Maggie confronted the miners and I don't think I could think more differently than you do ohnoes. (I am sorry, I can hardly use that name without laughing - intentional?    What a load of twaddle about no body taking anything off the state unless you never pay VAT.  The problem is that the people who do get benefits pay lots of VAT on big screen televisions etc etc - and any amount of VAT is not going to cover them for a month of benefits.   Get real.

Like 0      
12 Aug 2012 6:43 PM by ohnoes Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

What a load of twaddle about no body taking anything off the state unless you never pay VAT.  The problem is that the people who do get benefits pay lots of VAT on big screen televisions etc etc - and any amount of VAT is not going to cover them for a month of benefits.   Get real.

You misquote me. I said no one takes anything for free from the state - *everyone* takes something, and everyone old enough to spend money in a shop contributes something. Either your math or your logic is faulty, my friend. As far as VAT is concerned, the global trend in taxation since the 1970s in all major economies has been from progressive taxation on income to regressive taxation on consumption, a shift driven in large part precisely because it is hard to avoid, whilst also falling disproportionately on the lowest income group, with a negligible impact at the top. 

As I also explained, the idea of tax paid covering your share of services recieved is fallacious at best. It is impossible to calculate the value of services one consumes as an individual, because most are a common good. Furthermore, the British social security system has never functioned on an individual account model, so the assumption that is does shows a frightening lack of awarness of how the system works. If you believe it should, then good luck with transforming society into an anarcho-capitalist model, because that is the only concievable way where you can be even remotely confident that no one is getting stuff for "free" (actually, there are exceptions even in this scenario vis a vis positive externalties, as well as forementioned common goods). 

Like 0      
12 Aug 2012 8:19 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

In spite of the fact that I beieve you to be a WUM I will reply this final time.

Please don't patronise me MY FRIEND with your radio 2 DJ speak.  I understand at least as well as you do how the UK system works, and the fact that those on benefit (i.e. those families which live entirely on benefit) use some of the free money to buy things and so unwittingly pay something back via less obvious taxes does not mean they are contributing to the state in any meaningful way.  

The fact that people do not understand that they do not have an individual resource, and that they are paying taxes and national insurance to support the state now leads them to cry 'I have paid into the system so.....................'.     Don't tell me how it works - explain it to them.

Like 0      
12 Aug 2012 9:52 PM by ohnoes Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

I don't listen to radio, so I have no idea how they speak on it, but whatever. As for WUM, I'm not the one saying we should dehumanise certain segments of the population we don't like. If people are branded as WUMs for actually speaking out against that... then, well whatever, call me what you like, I still cannot condone such actions. Anyway, to the point:

I understand at least as well as you do how the UK system works,

Then why the complaint about people getting stuff for "free" when both you and I know that isn't possible? Free =/= subsidy. 

and the fact that those on benefit (i.e. those families which live entirely on benefit) use some of the free money to buy things and so unwittingly pay something back via less obvious taxes does not mean they are contributing to the state in any meaningful way.  

1) It's not free. It is more commonly a subsidy, see above. 2) It is conditional. Indeed, the few benefits that aren't conditional (or not as strictly conditional) are those the right are most keen on defending (i.e. children benfit, winter fuel allowance, state pensions and supplements). The right have also strongly opposed making blanket trasnfer payments such as child benefits more conditional through means-testing,  a proposal I strongly supported.

The fact that people do not understand that they do not have an individual resource, and that they are paying taxes and national insurance to support the state now leads them to cry 'I have paid into the system so.....................'.     Don't tell me how it works - explain it to them.

Since you express the same sentiment yourself, I don't think it is always down to ignorance of the system, rather an ideological opposition to it (though I don't double some people genuinely believe it is an individual account system). However you don't present a credible alternative to it that is ideologically or logically consistant. Are you adovcating individual account, or absolute benefit-contribution ties? If so, explain how you envisage such a system working, and how you reconcile the inconsistancies and compromises of such a system in terms of your expressed view (as far as I understand it, correct me if I'm wrong) that no-one should recieve in state services anything beyond the amount they contribute. 

The point is that these sorts of things have been tried in the past and fail. They just don't end well, which is why most countries have moved away from them. Even Singapore - that bastion of neo-mercantile thought - is gradually shifting away from it.

Like 0      
13 Aug 2012 1:30 AM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

So - to repeat what we started with - yes, I would stay in Spain if it wasn't for the weather, but I might spend more time elsewhere.

Nice and short and to the point.   

Like 0      
13 Aug 2012 4:55 AM by roscomonstreet Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

I only stay in Spain for the weather.still feel homesick after many years. ** EDITED - Advertising **

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 13/08/2012.

Like 0      
13 Aug 2012 9:12 AM by rumpuss Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

There are many things I love about living in Spain apart from the weather - I love the family values, the respect given to older people, to see big family gatherings at places like Lake Iznajar and the beaches - the non commercialism for instance the shops not havng Christmas things from October and Easter eggs from January, a small gift being really appreciated - my lovely Spanish neighbours.My only downsides  are that I  dread the thought of dealing with anything official or medical but I didn't like that in the U.K either. I do feel guilty at leaving my family although they love their holidays here and our visits to the U.K.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Very Proud - 22 posts
Endesa - Are they overcharging everyone in Spain? - 19 posts
Prescription charges reclaim - 9 posts
New arrival in Gibraltar - 4 posts
inviting a non-European to Spain - 25 posts
AENA backs down and considers removing air bridges - 0 posts
Telephone and Internet installation - 6 posts
Trees/bushes - 2 posts
Single Bespoke Pine Bed for Sale - 0 posts
Airport Run to Calpe - 2 posts
Just moved to Los Boliches - 0 posts
Electricity costs. - 6 posts
So there is a non driver and 4 young kids....what do we do? - 2 posts
NuevaGalicia Bank in Tenerife - 0 posts
Does "rent a car la zenia" still exist? - 2 posts
Electrical Meters, Electrical Meter Boxes and Endesa. - 31 posts
Permanent residency - 4 posts
Money in Bank - 11 posts
Crime Victims Online Crime Reporting Service - 0 posts
Online Crime Reporting Service - 0 posts
Javea Long Term Let Required - 2 posts
Caravans parked in community car park - 9 posts
itv - 5 posts
Spanish Lawyers - 3 posts
Spelcheker - 18 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 239

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x