Driving back to calais

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Jul 2012 10:45 PM by goodwin Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

I am driving back to Calais in August and would like to know the quickest route back.
As I will be traveling with a pet I would like to stay one night in Spain and one night in France possible on a vineyard or similar.
Any suggestions

Gooders

Like 0      
22 Jul 2012 11:08 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

where are you driving from?

I suggest you look at google maps & ask for directions giving the necessary instructions. It is brilliant I use it all the time.

Like 0      
22 Jul 2012 11:14 PM by goodwin Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

Hi Gerry

I'm driving from almoradi, thanks I will look on google maps
Gooders

Like 0      
22 Jul 2012 11:25 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

Hi Gooders,

Google says up through Barcelona, so I suggest you put in Almoradi to Perpignon (as that spelt right?) then add vineyards. It will tell you vineyards in Spain.

Then Perpignon to Calais again adding vineyards. You will then get all the vineyards in France, just select the ones on your route.

It's a long way, wish it were me I love driving, especially as you have "company".

Like 0      
23 Jul 2012 9:11 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

Hi

I use Michelin maps (on line) to plot my route as they have many options as to which type of driving you like. They also quote the price of the tolls which is  useful information. I will be going up the west side of France via Valencia, Zaragoza, Bordeaux etc. Friends who bought their dog with them always use this route.

When I go in August my 1st night is going to be just over the border in France about 1 to 1.5 hours south of Bordeaux and then second night around Le Mans area. Hopefully reaching Calais in the afternoon of day 3. The journey will take about 20 hours driving whichever way you go but the route I use has much lower tolls

Good luck

Like 0      
23 Jul 2012 10:10 AM by Fighter2 Star rating. 237 posts Send private message

To confirm the advice of Steone..I have also done this trip many times and the west side of France is nicer, easier and cheaper.

No tolls in Spain unless you decide otherwise and cheaper tolls in France,the journey is much easier and stress free with a Sat Nav and they are now really inexpensive at below €110.

It's a great way to get to the uk as is the Santander Ferry to Portsmouth or Plymouth.

Barry

Like 0      
23 Jul 2012 10:31 AM by maddiemack Star rating in Grantham, Lincolnshi.... 194 posts Send private message

Careful if you're using your satnav driving through France...along with the new laws stating you must carry a couple of breathalisers with you, you can't have a satnav in the car if it picks up speed cameras.  Another money-making scheme! The link below gives you all the advice you need...

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/europe/france1

Like 0      
23 Jul 2012 10:44 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

Maddiemack

You are right about sat navs with static speed cameras on them. However I understand that tomtom have got round this by listing 'danger spots' such as steep inclines etc and speed cameras.  They dont tell you exactly what the danger is but it is easy to tell. Well done tomtom. With regard to the breathalisers although you must have 2 in your car of which 1 must be unused!!!, foreign plated cars will not be fined until November but 'locals' will be fined straight away. I think the fine is €10 to €15 so its no major deal.

Barry I aggree that Bilbao/Santander is a much easier drive from the Costas the price they are charging is astronomic. In August they wanted over £1100 for a return ferry whereas going accoss to Dover was under £100. You pays your money and take your choice

Safe driving

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

EU Citizen (UK) & none EU Citizen wife (Thai) coming permanently to Spain. - 10 posts
Sonora ELE Language Awareness: a new way lo learn Spanish online - 0 posts
poodles - 3 posts
Refridgerated vans - 3 posts
Using a UK Registered van for business in Spain - 15 posts
Healthcare Reform for ex pats - 10 posts
England to Spain with 3 cats and a dog - 0 posts
overun with ants - 14 posts
Purchasing adjacent property to extend house in Almeria area - 1 posts
furniture for sale in Murcia - 10 posts
My Technomate 5402HD satellite receiver needs repaired - 0 posts
ROCKETING STERLING. - 7 posts
A win for people power - 0 posts
Changing Name on NIE Number paper and Spanish Driving Licence - 1 posts
WORDS FROM THE NEW GOVERNOR OF THE BANK OF SPAIN... - 2 posts
ITV & Tyres - 14 posts
embargo on my account - 2 posts
Golf Coach on board - 0 posts
The law regarding kids in front seats... - 6 posts
Reforms to health care for EU expats - - 3 posts
New join - 1 posts
COSTAS PROPERTY SHARKS ON THE PROWL - 11 posts
Graphic/Web Designer looking for room in/near villamartin *PLEASE READ* - 0 posts
A little light relief - 0 posts
New freephone number for Endesa - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x