Healthcare Reform for ex pats

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Jul 2012 11:09 AM by Stevie423 Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Can anyone confirm the below information concerning healthcare for ALL legal residents of Spain as of 1st September........I am one of those fortunate enough to have been able to retire early. I have suffered with a heart problem for several years. The possibility of acquiring private health care has been a nightmare and out of our reach financially. This may be the answer and if so its about time as I believe all those within the European Union should have access to free healthcare especialy when one has contributed financially for the required period....

"The Spanish Health Minister, Ana Mató, recently announced that all legal residents of Spain whose income from all sources is less than €100,000 a year will be eligible for free medical care from September 1 2012.

This free healthcare will include foreigners from the EU or elsewhere, whether or not they contribute to the Social Security system or are in work, who will be able to apply for a SIP card allowing them to register with a doctor and to be treated for all infirmities, even pre-existing conditions, by the State. EU citizens and other nationals from countries which have reciprocal agreements with Spain will be treated in accordance with the conditions of the treaties.

All spouses or partners of those who qualify for free medical services and who are registered on the padrón will also be entitled to State healthcare as will registered children or siblings under 26 years old.

Those who retire early and are not yet claiming a State pension will be entitled to free medical care only if they earn less than €100,000 per annum before tax."

The source is 'overseasguidesnews'

This message was last edited by Stevie423 on 21/07/2012.

Like 0      
21 Jul 2012 12:45 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Stevie,

Could you please give a web site address as I cannot locate anything about this at  "overseasguidesnews"

Like 0      
21 Jul 2012 1:59 PM by Stevie423 Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi John

The website is The Overseas Guides Company. The article was posted on a circular sent regularly by email to a relative in England. I've looked on their website but cannot see any information that might allude to the article.

Regards

Like 0      
21 Jul 2012 2:12 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Stevie,  I cannot believe the info can be correct ,  as written at least.

The  new changes for prescription items having just been introduced too

Like 0      
21 Jul 2012 2:14 PM by Stevie423 Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

John, my thoughts exactly...I'll do some more digging...Thanks

Like 0      
21 Jul 2012 2:27 PM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Hi Stevie423

Please see the article in the Link Below. This confirms what you were told.

www.costacalidachronicle.com/spanish.../1532-spanish-news-july-20...

Regards

Nigel

Like 0      
21 Jul 2012 2:30 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Nigel, all I found at that reference was the same info  which we have discussed at length in the forum regarding the payments which now must be made for items on prescriptions,

Like 0      
21 Jul 2012 2:39 PM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Nigel

Like 0      
21 Jul 2012 2:44 PM by Stevie423 Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

John, I think this may be where the article came from and it may have been misinterpreted but its not very clear.....

16th June - the article says:

Business News
Mato defines healthcare in Spain

Published: June 16, 2012 at 1:54 PM 

Spain's Health Minister Ana Mato said the cut off point in income for free medical care in the country would be $126,000.

Starting Sept. 1, Mato said, the state will provide free medical care even for foreigners who register for a SIP card. Foreigners can qualify for the cards whether they come from the European Union or not, thinkSpain reported.

Citizens of other European Union states will be granted medical care based on specific international treaties that include their home country.

State pensioners, workers, including the self-employed, and those receiving political assistance – including those whose political assistance has run out – qualify for the state's healthcare program automatically, Mato said.

Those who do not qualify automatically, but would otherwise fall between the cracks, are eligible if their earnings are under $126,000 per year, thinkSpain reported.

In addition, registered partners of those who qualify and children under the age of 26 still living at home qualify, as do illegal immigrants from outside the European Union, so long as they pay into their country's social security system or the equivalent of that.

Also, non-legal immigrants under 18 or pregnant will qualify, thinkSpain reported.

Mato defined the rules while Spain stands on the brink of an international bailout that could come with demands for spending cuts.

The international community recently granted Spain a $125 billion loan to bailout its troubled banking sector

Regards

Like 0      
21 Jul 2012 2:49 PM by Stevie423 Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Thanks Nigel

That seems to be it

Regards

Like 0      
21 Jul 2012 3:45 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

It is correct . Any already registered permanent foreign resident has to be treated exactly as a spanish national & all will be entitled.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

England to Spain with 3 cats and a dog - 0 posts
overun with ants - 14 posts
Purchasing adjacent property to extend house in Almeria area - 1 posts
furniture for sale in Murcia - 10 posts
My Technomate 5402HD satellite receiver needs repaired - 0 posts
ROCKETING STERLING. - 7 posts
A win for people power - 0 posts
Changing Name on NIE Number paper and Spanish Driving Licence - 1 posts
WORDS FROM THE NEW GOVERNOR OF THE BANK OF SPAIN... - 2 posts
ITV & Tyres - 14 posts
embargo on my account - 2 posts
Golf Coach on board - 0 posts
The law regarding kids in front seats... - 6 posts
Reforms to health care for EU expats - - 3 posts
New join - 1 posts
COSTAS PROPERTY SHARKS ON THE PROWL - 11 posts
Graphic/Web Designer looking for room in/near villamartin *PLEASE READ* - 0 posts
A little light relief - 0 posts
New freephone number for Endesa - 5 posts
New satellite channel receivable UK TV Costa Blanca - 4seven - 0 posts
Recommended Structural Surveyor near Estepona/ Marbella/ Gibraltar - 11 posts
How should I play this? - 3 posts
Agricultural Water - 3 posts
Spain needs reform NOW - 93 posts
Latest info re EU Citizen Registration (formerly Residencia) - 17 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x