Do you need to be resident to work in spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Jan 2012 12:00 AM by mega Star rating. 73 posts Send private message

my daughter is in spain and has been offered a job here on the costos,she has been also told she has to be resident to get a social secrurity number,dose anyone out there have the anwser.

Thank you  Mega

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 3:34 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

You do not need to be a resident but you MUST have an NIE number which is a tax number.

Thi is applied for at the police station and costs around €10,00

You can get the forms online https://developers.facebook.com/apps

The payment forms you will have to go to the Police station and there you can also make the appointment to hand in all of the paperwork

Joan

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 3:47 PM by mega Star rating. 73 posts Send private message

Hi Joan, Thanks for prompt reply,now i am very confused as i have just got a reply from my solisitor eventually and he says the opposite ie you do need residency to get a social secrurity number,the plot thickens.

Regards Mega

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 3:56 PM by mega Star rating. 73 posts Send private message

Joan,

MYy daughter already has an nie number

Mega

PS  check out return of deosits aifos 2003 on thread named bank guarantees

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 4:28 PM by lostagain Star rating. 57 posts Send private message

residency no longer exists. it was replaced by nie take this to the local social security office with copies of passport and proof of address and done in 5 mins

This message was last edited by lostagain on 25/01/2012.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 4:42 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

Residency has not been replaced by an NIE number but by a Residency Certificate, see this link for the most recent changes to this

http://www.simplynetworking.es/news-10279-31-changes_to_residency_certificates.html

To do most things now you need this paperwork, to by a car, contract phone and register for employment yoi need this paperwork which you get form the Town Hall and our one typically requires passport, NIE and registration on the Padron, proof of a permanent address, before giving this document

If you are going self employed then it is your responsibility to register with the social and then you will get the necessary paperwork and pay the monthly self employment fee plus complete quarterly returns for tax and IVA

If you are getting a contract then it is normal for the employer to get all of the paperwork processed, to obtain the social security numbers

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 4:51 PM by lostagain Star rating. 57 posts Send private message

ok but the nie number is on the residency certificate but it is the nie number that everyone asks for if you fill out a form it asks for nie number never the residency number. in fact i did a tramite thes morning and was asked for my "nie certificate" not residency certificate

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 4:56 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

The problem is that your NIE does not prove your address so on things like employment, tax, car buying etc they tend to be more stringent, recently I could not get a contractt telephone without this document

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 5:02 PM by lostagain Star rating. 57 posts Send private message

OF CORSE IT PROVES NOTHING REALLY 

BUT THAT WAS NOT THE QUESTION IT WAS ABOUT GETTING A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER AND WITHOUT THE INFAMOUS NUMBER YOU WONT GET IT

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 6:48 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

If a compnay are going to offer contract employment it really isn's a problem as they will normally sort this out for you

If self employed again the person that you pay to register you will sort this out, use the experts

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 7:05 PM by lostagain Star rating. 57 posts Send private message

HARDLEY NEEDS AN EXPERT IS EASIER THAN BUYING A BURGER IN MACDONALDS

AND AT LEAST THEY HAVE SEATS WHILST YOU WAAIT FOR YOUR NUMBER TO BE CALLED

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 7:29 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

LOSTAGAIN you seem to be getting cross and missing the very simple point and believe it or not what is required can vary by area and how the offical feels at any point in time

Oriihuela for example want a Residents Certificate, according to my company accountant

You will potentially need some help to submit the returns if you are self employed so they can help

For every full time contract for the people that I have worked for in Spain, and where I have employed people, the employer has done the work, including getting the Social Security number

All I am trying to do is save people time because often it isn't so easy In Spain and as tehe first post explains you need to be a resident therefore have a residents certificate, therefore be on the Padron

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 7:40 PM by lostagain Star rating. 57 posts Send private message

NOT CROSS JUST CANT SEE THE PROBLEM SO WILL LEAVE IT TO YOUR EXPERT SELF AQU VOIR

Like 0      
26 Jan 2012 7:57 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Here you just need passport & padron. 10 mins & walk out with soc. sec number.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
26 Jan 2012 9:38 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

There seems to be some confusion. 

The NIE (Numero de Identificación de Extranjero) is your unique identification number as a non Spanish citizen.

It is the same number on the NIE cert, and when we had the Residencia Card, the same, now the EC citizen's Registration Cert, the same,  your Driving Licence too. The same number and it never changes. Even if you give it up, say on deciding to leave Spain, if you return you will get the same number again.

With that number the authorities, (tax office etc. ) can trace all your financial dealings where the number has been, using including all bank accounts.

In  fact its ‘big brother.’ Keeping very effective tabs on you.

Being on the PADRON means you have declared that you are living at the address shown on it.  Some town halls are quite happy to view the 'living at' rather loosly,  as they get a subsidy from Regional Gov for each person registered.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 26/01/2012.

Like 0      
26 Jan 2012 2:34 PM by mega Star rating. 73 posts Send private message

Hi ervyone,

A lot of people on thjs thread are saying that residency no longer exists,when it comes to inheritance tax it is cheaper than if you are not resident so dose the new nie certificate cover this?

Regards Mega

Like 0      
26 Jan 2012 2:43 PM by lostagain Star rating. 57 posts Send private message

THIS SEEMS TO CONFUSE MOST PEOPLE

IF YOU LOOK AT THE PIC OF THE CERTIFICATE BELOW YOU CAN MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND AS I READ IT THEY ARE BASICALLY ONE AND THE SAME THING

Like 0      
26 Jan 2012 2:48 PM by mega Star rating. 73 posts Send private message

HI,Lostagain

Thank you

Like 0      
26 Jan 2012 3:14 PM by lostagain Star rating. 57 posts Send private message

your welcome i know it is confusing but no one asks for your residence but the nie number on it

you  need it for work and to register with the ayuntamiento and just about anything else

Like 0      
27 Jan 2012 3:14 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

The residencia as such no longer exists for citizens of the EU (it still does for non EU citizens)

Now we have, as the copy shows, the Certificate that we (EU citizens ) have registered.

Once one has registered they are tax resident and must make tax returns in Spain on their worldwide assets.   There are a couple of exception including, government employee pensions and rental income in say UK, but practically all other income is taxable in Spain, including private pensions, bank investments etc.

If a person does not register then after they been in Spain for a total of 183 days in any year they are tax resident. As too if their main home is here, centre of activities etc.

MEGA
Residencia, being resident, i.e. that one lives in Spain,  of course exists, it is the Residencia Card which does not exist.

However, I understand that to be sure to benefit as being a resident, in say the case od inheritance being exempt from capital gains tax in certain circumstance,  one should have made tax returns to the Hacienda. 

Even if ones income is below that which would mean paying tax, an unemployed resident should make an annual tax return. The rules for employed persons are different as the employer makes tax returns.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Nearest hospital please??? - 2 posts
yahoo mail problems - 3 posts
Some People - 1 posts
PLEASE HELP, WHAT FORM DO I NEED? - 2 posts
Transport to UK From Spain and Back from UK to Spain and Man with van - 1 posts
permission to move!! - 2 posts
Return of deposits from Aifos in 2003 - 33 posts
Car Rental Malaga Airport, Hire Full of Fuel, Return Full - 0 posts
where to hire cots and stair gate - 3 posts
unlimited wireless broadband - 18 posts
How To Save Money Traveling In Europe - 1 posts
Missing Person...My Husband. - 15 posts
RHD UK plates Ford Transit LWB - 0 posts
Statutes not registered.......... - 7 posts
A Long Let - 3 posts
Decisions, dicisions? - 3 posts
advice on rental contracts and use of avals - 0 posts
Looking for work in spain this summer - 5 posts
Mojon Hills, what's the forum view, good, great place to invest? - 7 posts
Hello - 2 posts
has anyone purchased at Lomas, Vera Playa, 2 bed 1 bath from €59k - 18 posts
removal of name on deeds on jointly owned house - 8 posts
10 Litre Double Electric Fryer For Sale 200Euros - 0 posts
8 pot Bain Marie and Meat carvery Unit for sale 850Euros - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 30

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x