Kindle in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Dec 2011 11:52 PM by brownhog Star rating. 25 posts Send private message

Thanks Miketait1 it will suffice until I can purchase a dongle next year which will do me for a month at a time instead of paying every month on a contract when not in Spain.

Enjoy the weather if in Spain - snow lying and freezing tonight in Glasgow!

Like 0      
10 Dec 2011 1:34 PM by Victoria Twead Star rating in Andalucia. 89 posts Send private message

Victoria Twead´s avatar

I think Amazon is taking over the world... I also had an email from them this week telling me my books are available now from Amazon Spain, Italy, Canada, China, France, Germany, Japan and of course, the USA.

I download books from USA usually, and it's always immediate, no problems, even though my internet connection isn't brilliant. I use the same account name and password as my Amazon UK account. 

Victoria   :)

PS My books are cheaper to download from my website, exactly the same illustrated colour edition as the one on Amazon. (£1.79)

PPS I absolutely love my ipad as it does so much (apart from being an ereader) but the downside is that I can't read it in bright sunlight.

PPS Does anyone have the new colour Kindle Fire? I'm told that Amazon are selling it at cost price because they believe it will pay for itself because of the increase in ebook sales. It seems like a good bargain to me, cheaper than an ipad but it does emails and lots of other stuff, too.

Victoria  :) 

Chicken wrangler and NYT bestselling author of 'Chickens, Mules & Two Old Fools' and the Old Fools series. 

Like 0      
28 Nov 2012 10:28 AM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar

My Kindle was bought in the USA but registered in Spain. Amazon .co.uk refuse to allow me to download books as I do not have a uk billing address.I own a property in the UK and have a UK bank account butmy Bank recognises my Spanish address. Amazon UK told me to go to Amazon.USA but they want a US billing address. After 2 hours of phone calls and live chat I failed to get any satisfaction, they just did not want to know. They said the rules had been changed recently.

I find this disgraceful service from Amazon as my Kindle is now useless.

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
28 Nov 2012 11:39 AM by brownhog Star rating. 25 posts Send private message

Does anyone have the Kindle Fire. I've got the keypad Kindle, and thought the Fire would be perfect for accessing the internet and emailing when in Spain. I believe you can also Skype....what's the connection like on 3G?

Is it worth spending the extra £30 for the HD Model?

Like 0      
28 Nov 2012 12:40 PM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

We too had the UK - Europe Amazon exclusion problem it seems that Amazon have some kind of licensing agreements in place with other countries. I decided that it was too much aggro dealing with Amazon and much too expensive so I downloaded a programme  called Calibre. Its a freee E-book download manager and buy  my books off Ebay.

Just download the books off a disk and Caliber will sort them out and you choose what to transfer to your Kindle.

I recently bought a 3 CD pack of the ****** for Dummies actually 960 books on different subjects for 7.99 plus a fiver postage - thats a couple of pence per book. Mrs. Woodbug bought 3,500 novels on a disc for 7.00 inc postage from UK and there are many well known authors and newish books on the list.

So, if Amazon don't want to supply me, thats fine I actually  save a fortune by not dealing with them.

Woodbug.

Like 0      
28 Nov 2012 1:43 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar

I will be looking at that Woodbug but in the meantime I have had a nice surprise. Yesterday when I went onto Amazon.es I could only find a few books in English but an earlier poster said there were lots so I tried again, probably worded my request slightly differently, and found loads.Buying is incredibly easy and I the book I wanted was cheaper han on.co.uk.

Thanks for the help guys.

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
28 Nov 2012 2:26 PM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

Well Acapulco, perhaps someone at Amazon has read this thread on EOS and realized that they had better put a few books on for us Brits to read, who obviously have nothing better to do but lounge around in the sun all day reading e-books.

I really resent the modern ways of business where they expect you to buy a product and then don't supply a service or back-up. I'm afraid the words: service, customer care, and value have been consigned to the bin. There seems to be such a take it or leave it attitude today - perhaps its the internet that is responsible.

As far as I am concerned Amazon can keep their expensive books there are millions avilable elsewhere - free as well! Just google free ebooks and if you have Caliber installed you can download anything. There are many older interesting books from the  Guttenberg Project on this link: http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/  and before one of our guardian members gets on their moral high-horse they are all free and legal. OK some may not be to some readers taste, but just skip the ones you dont like and download the ones that interest you.

My next investment will be an Android pad that will do more than the Kindle Fire will and is around 90 quid less. Amazon have got it all wrong.

Woodbug

Like 0      
28 Nov 2012 3:18 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Kindle does what Kindle does.  It's great for reading books, cheap or free, especially in the sunlight which other tablets don't do.  Basic Kindle is now €79 and the Kindle Fire is €159 (£69 and £129 from the UK site).  Simply changing the country in your Amazon account gives you full access to the UK books and prices.  Can't fault them.  I use an android tablet as well (slightly more than the 90 quid less that Woodbug mentions, in fact almost double the cost of the Kindle Fire and that was on special offer) and is good but I can't read it properly outdoors.  I don't know about buying one in the States but I seem to recall that, when the Kindle Fire came out, they were advising people not to buy one for use in Europe as they might not work.  That seems a bit silly but ISTR it was all to do with copyrights on books and music etc, bit like the Zone 1 and Zone 2 on DVDs. The same with the 3G system which is in use in Europe but is not compatible in all USA areas.  

Like 0      
28 Nov 2012 3:31 PM by lindaw164 Star rating in Glasgow and Jardins .... 253 posts Send private message

lindaw164´s avatar

When I took my kindle to spain recently I downloaded a newspaper but I used amazon.co.uk without any problem.   I would be surprised if you could download many books in Englosh on the spanish amazon.

Linda

Like 0      
28 Nov 2012 3:38 PM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

Bobaol: You are quite correct,  the difference between a kindle at 160 quid and an Android at 59.99 is 100.00  not 90.00 as I first indicated. I am most grateful to you for bringing this to our attention.

Woodbug.

Like 0      
28 Nov 2012 3:57 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Basic Kindle only £59 till midnight tonight from Tesco Direct see here using code TDX-WRKT

Like 0      
28 Nov 2012 4:03 PM by brownhog Star rating. 25 posts Send private message

Can you tell me bobaol, if the Android would connect with the dongle I have in Spain which I used to use with my computer when there. I'm thinking this would be a better alternative than another Kindle. Would I be able to transfer the books on my Kindle to this Android.

Thanks

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

import your own climate... - 1 posts
The Rental Scammers are Back Beware - 2 posts
Travel agent's licence IC - 0 posts
Using ducted aircon to heat the house - 16 posts
MARIANO RAJOY - PROPOSALS FOR CHANGE - 7 posts
TARIFA - 0 posts
GRAZALEMA - 0 posts
Who wants to come here? - 4 posts
Electric and Water contacts in old name - 13 posts
Handsome Bailey - 1 posts
Plant a tree this Saturday at The People’s Forest in Marbella - 0 posts
portillo kiosk in san pedro - 0 posts
advice needed - 5 posts
Late payment of IBI - 9 posts
Looking for work - 3 posts
Help with Tax/Vat - 2 posts
Van going to England - 0 posts
Curry night with accommodation. - 1 posts
What is legal regarding UK cars and businesses - 2 posts
What is legal regarding UK cars - 2 posts
Hours Per Day?? - 1 posts
Help Needed - 8 posts
Spain is culture - 0 posts
No trial - 0 posts
MODBALL RALLY EUROPE 2012: LONDON-PARIS-ST TROPEZ-VALENCIA-BARCELONA-EIVISSA! - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 52

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x