Kindle in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Dec 2011 2:33 PM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar

Amazon appear  to have sorted out their problems with the publishers and Kindle is now available in Spain for 99€ from amazon.es It is also possible to download English books and pay in euros (whilst it is still a valid currency!!!!)

Like 0      
02 Dec 2011 3:06 PM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

thanks for that, yes by the time i buy one i will probably be paying in pesetas ha ha

Like 0      
02 Dec 2011 3:25 PM by manilvajl Star rating in Manilva as much as p.... 426 posts Send private message

My wife's Kindle is registered at our UK address as are our UK Credit Cards.

She downloads books in Spain as and when she needs them,and has download them on a Nile Cruise in Egypt last year and is always billed in UK pounds. The billing price comes up before you commit your purchase.

A friend who lives in Spain was being billed in dollars at first but now  uses a UK friends address for billing and uses a UK credit card. You need to deregister from Amazon.com to Amazon.co.uk.

Jeff

Like 0      
02 Dec 2011 9:15 PM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

thank you for that

Like 0      
03 Dec 2011 12:11 PM by miketait1 Star rating. 36 posts Send private message

We use our kindles all the time and with no problems at all( Registered to a U.K address and credit card. The kindle has one major advantage over the iPad--- you can read it in bright sunlight!!

Like 0      
03 Dec 2011 3:47 PM by beastess Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

I have a Kindle bought from US with a UK credit card registered to a Spanish address. i never pay for books as I always download free ones from sites such as gutenberg.org. The Spanish Amazon site has now started up. Cheaper to buy a Kindle from therte if you live in Spain. Or maybe best to wait till the colour one is available here.

Like 0      
03 Dec 2011 4:33 PM by brownhog Star rating. 25 posts Send private message

I have a Kindle and haven't had any problems downloading books when in Spain. The charge is taken off my British debit card.

I have wireless and 3G which I got in order to access my email and surf the web. Unfortunately Spain isn't on the 3G network so have to connect to someones wireless network. I understand it works on 3G in lots of other countries. Bit annoying!

Reccommended that it's switched off when going through security, and not left on the screensaver.

Like 0      
03 Dec 2011 5:45 PM by miketait1 Star rating. 36 posts Send private message

I wonder where brownhog is in Spain? We are on the Costa Del Sol and download on the 3G /GPRS system all the time.

Like 0      
03 Dec 2011 6:29 PM by brownhog Star rating. 25 posts Send private message

I'm 40 minutes south of Alicante. Because Spain is not listed as one of the countries on the network according to the kindle info on the internet, I have perhaps been misled. I will certainly give it another try when over in a week or so.

Do you have to go to Wikipedia first and then link to an external site? Read this in the Telegraph.

Thanks for that.

Like 0      
03 Dec 2011 10:39 PM by jean28 Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

I am also interested in buying an e-reader, a Kindle in particular because of the good reviews.  The only thing that is putting me off is that I read that you can only download from Amazon yet Beastess you say you can get books from another source, can you or anyone else confirm that.  If I can then I am sold!

Like 0      
04 Dec 2011 1:08 AM by sneilk Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

I have a kindle and have been using it for over a year here in Valencia with no problems at all.  I am from the US and bought the kindle there.  I download books regularly and my copy of the New York Times and the International Herald Tribune arrive on my kindle every morning.  Since I bought the kindle I have saved a huge amount of money in shipping charges for print books and as well as the expensive books I used to buy at FNAC.  Amazon has a great service and most of its stock is available on Kindle.  Kindle books are usually much less expensive that print versions.  Its fantastic to spend time browsing the amazon site for books, chose one and its on your kindle in less than five minutes after purchase.  I couldn't recommend this highly enough.  Its changed my life.  I have over 48 books on my kindle and I carry it around in my bag so when I need to wait somewhere, I never lose time or get bored.  I will get the new Kindle Fire on my next trip back to the US, just because it iwll allow me to ready my favorite magazines in full color.. Its a wonderful device.. I also have an ipad but for reading, I really prefer the Kindle.  HOpe that helps..

Like 0      
04 Dec 2011 11:17 AM by miketait1 Star rating. 36 posts Send private message

Hi brownhog
No, don't need to use Wikipedia or any other interface. I just choose and download. In fact we pay 8.99 a month for The Daily Mail and it downloads automatically every morning and has done so in Cadiz, Gibraltar, Cordoba, Seville etc. Etc.
Someone has led you up the garden path I'm afraid.
I haven't checked recently but I am pretty sure the Kindle coverage map included most of Europe.
Happy kindling!

Like 0      
04 Dec 2011 11:23 AM by miketait1 Star rating. 36 posts Send private message

Hi again brown hog,

Just checked the KIndle coverage map and the WHOLE of Spain is covered by either 3G or GPRS/ edge.

Problem solved

Like 0      
04 Dec 2011 8:25 PM by brownhog Star rating. 25 posts Send private message

I have no problem downloading books in Spain. What I am more interested in is using it for email and browsing the web.

According to the info I have, there is no 3G fee for roaming, but in many countries you are only permitted to visit the Amazon store using the 3G connection. Perhaps Spain? I have tried using the trick of going to the Wikipedia page and typing in a subject with links to an external site. When that site has opened you can type in the address of where you want to visit. Haven't managed this, and concur that it's not a possiblility in Spain. (All this info from Rick Maybury - Daily Telegraph).

Would love to hear if anyone manages it in Spain as cancelled the contract for dongle for computer.

Good luck trying this!

Like 0      
04 Dec 2011 10:06 PM by miketait1 Star rating. 36 posts Send private message

Hi again,

The e- mail and web browser in Kindle is claaified as " experimental" and is very basic. Nevertheless it does work in Spain but in common with the rest of the world it can' t replace a broadband or dongle connection as it is VERY basic although you can check and send e-mail.

Like 0      
06 Dec 2011 12:23 PM by Peter Harding Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

I bought a Kindle about a year ago and got fed up with paying each time for the downloads from Amazon.

On a trip to the USA I managed to buy a DVD with the New York Times 2011 Ebooks.

It has over 1,500 books on it .Yes 1,500 books ! ! They are all best sellers.

The disc only cost me $10 and now I have really good reading matter to last me years.

All you do is download the disc to your computer then connect your ereader to your PC.

Then just transfer over what books you want to read.

Also there is free ereader Library software that you can download that you put all of your books in.It creates lists of  authors and genre etc. It even allows you switch formats so that you can download to any type of ereader.Not just kindle with their MOBI format.

If anyone wants to know the software just contact me and I will send you the link.

Its a much better way of buying reading matter.

Like 0      
06 Dec 2011 1:02 PM by sneilk Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi Peter;

Are you talking about Amazon US or Amazon UK?

As far as I know, I've never been charged for downloading anything with their "whispernet" service.  I live in a solar house in the country with a "non-traditional" internet connection and it works just great with Amazon.  If I can get downloads here, anyone can, i think..

I'm only charged for the actual material I bought and the download is automatic and free.   Everyday, I automatically receive my copy of the International Herald Tribune as the previous edition is automatically archieved.  I get billed monthly but only for the subscription.

if you are charged for each download, what fees do you pay?  Just curious.

Your idea sounds great but what if you want books that are more specialized or are not bestsellers, or magazines or newspapers, for example?  The real advantage to kindle is that you can lots of different kinds of content and not only books..

Like 0      
06 Dec 2011 1:12 PM by Peter Harding Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Sorry it was for the purchase of their books. It was through Amazon US as I spend a lot of time there.

Kindles are good but I think that the Nook is a much better reader and I hope to invest in one soon.

Nook works on EPUB format and the software I mentioned will convert all the Kindle books into that format free.

Like 0      
06 Dec 2011 2:07 PM by sneilk Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

I don't know anything about the nook, but I did price them all and found the kindle the least expensive of the lot.  For those of us who are not as tech savy as others, the kindle is remarkably easy to use... it was price and its user friendlyness that won me over easily.   My 80 year old mom has one and uses it easily and often.  She adjusted the font to 20 or something and can read it even if she can't find her glasses.. I think they have one now for 79 US dollars which puts it under 50 euros... not bad..They also offer many many good books for free or under 2. USD... so, if budget is an issue, I think Kindle is a pretty good deal especially for the low tech crowd..

Like 0      
07 Dec 2011 1:12 PM by timgfisher Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I have two ebooks published by Amazon, which are available from Amazondotcom or Amazondotcodotuk.  I have received an email from Amazon this week to say that the books are now available on Amazondotes and Amazondotit, so this is quite a recent change.

My books are humorous novels and can be checked out at my author's website. My writing name is Barnaby Wilde (Google for the website address, the hyphen in the middle is important, otherwise you'll end up at a motorcycle dealership).  You can download a free preview sample of either book in any ebook format (Kindle, ipad, Mac, PC etc) and if you like what you see buy the books from the site of your choice.

I have arranged for a discount coupon exclusive to readers of Eye on Spain if you buy the books via the Smashwords website, which will give you a 25% discount and bring the price down to only $1.49 for each book.  (Sorry about the $ designation, but it's an American site. $1.49 is just 95p or 1.11euro at today's rate. Links to Smashwords via Barnaby Wilde website above).  The coupon code for the first book 'I Keep Thinking It's Tuesday' is CV57X and the coupon code for the second book 'A Question of Alignment' is BE32L.  The codes are valid from now until Xmas. You can buy or view the books via the Kindle store, but the coupon codes will only work via the Smashwords store.

Just to put my two pennorth into the discussion.  I love my Kindle and it's great for reading in bright sunlight when sometimes I can't read the screen on my netbook at all.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

import your own climate... - 1 posts
The Rental Scammers are Back Beware - 2 posts
Travel agent's licence IC - 0 posts
Using ducted aircon to heat the house - 16 posts
MARIANO RAJOY - PROPOSALS FOR CHANGE - 7 posts
TARIFA - 0 posts
GRAZALEMA - 0 posts
Who wants to come here? - 4 posts
Electric and Water contacts in old name - 13 posts
Handsome Bailey - 1 posts
Plant a tree this Saturday at The People’s Forest in Marbella - 0 posts
portillo kiosk in san pedro - 0 posts
advice needed - 5 posts
Late payment of IBI - 9 posts
Looking for work - 3 posts
Help with Tax/Vat - 2 posts
Van going to England - 0 posts
Curry night with accommodation. - 1 posts
What is legal regarding UK cars and businesses - 2 posts
What is legal regarding UK cars - 2 posts
Hours Per Day?? - 1 posts
Help Needed - 8 posts
Spain is culture - 0 posts
No trial - 0 posts
MODBALL RALLY EUROPE 2012: LONDON-PARIS-ST TROPEZ-VALENCIA-BARCELONA-EIVISSA! - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 52

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x