advice needed

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Nov 2011 00:00 by tee5 Star rating. 67 posts Send private message

we are in the process of buying an apartment in condado de alahama and are wondering if we should bring our car over or sell it here and buy another over their. we will be using the car for about 8 weeks a yr and their is 6 of us so hire prices are quite high do we need to reregister the car or can we drive it back home and tax and mot it in the uk. any help advice or info is greatly appreciated.

Like 0      
24 Nov 2011 15:41 by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5247 posts Send private message


I would suggest buying a car here.   
It’s a lot easier than importing and driving back and forth is much more expensive and inconvenient than flying. 
You will also have a car which 'blends in' unlike a UK registered one which will stand out and may attract the attention of vandals and the police.

Like 0      
24 Nov 2011 16:47 by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

I think it kind of depends if you have a good little runner and no great use for it in the UK and would not get much for it if you sold it

and then your budget to buy if you do sell in UK

and loading it up with "stuff" and driving over could be a good idea

it's not feasible going back to UK for MOT and too risky these days to keep it on UK plates (how times have changed!)

Putting it on Spanish plates will cost you approx Eur500 on a DIY basis

Downside is there is no great resale market here for RHD cars

Sometimes you see people on here looking for a swap?


Like 0      
24 Nov 2011 18:03 by tee5 Star rating. 67 posts Send private message



it is a landrover discovery that we have had since new and so we know the history of it we are reluctant to sell as it isnt worth much because of its age but we have looked after it and it has many good years ahead of it (fingers crossed) our plan is to load it with goods from here that are more expensive to buy over their do you know what the itv and rd tax would cost on a 2.5 diesel


Like 0      
24 Nov 2011 18:12 by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

In that case bring it with you and put it on Spanish plates.

I think the normal ITV is about EUR60 and the tax about EUR150 but the first ITV is about EUR120

Remind me to give you a DIY re-registration guide. Don't use the cowboys and just do it yourself.


Like 0      
24 Nov 2011 23:03 by tee5 Star rating. 67 posts Send private message

the diy guide would be great and any recomendations as to ins brokers to use out their

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Late payment of IBI - 9 posts
Looking for work - 3 posts
Help with Tax/Vat - 2 posts
Van going to England - 0 posts
Curry night with accommodation. - 1 posts
What is legal regarding UK cars and businesses - 2 posts
What is legal regarding UK cars - 2 posts
Hours Per Day?? - 1 posts
Help Needed - 8 posts
Spain is culture - 0 posts
No trial - 0 posts
Here We Go! Another Spanish Bank falls Victim to the Property Crash - 0 posts
not too cold, not too hot... any advice - 63 posts
Used car dealers - 1 posts - 0 posts
Washing machine repair - 2 posts
The elections - 7 posts
rates/community charges but no licence - 3 posts
Reliable, active estate Agent in the Alhaurin de la Torre area - 0 posts
VW Transporter Van For Sale in Los ALCAZAARES (murcia) ENGLISH PLATED - 0 posts
What's the matter with Spain? - 5 posts
Driving a Spanish car in UK? - 2 posts
end of season on costa blanca - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x