The cheapest funeral plan going!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Jan 2019 11:02 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

I don't know how much a small funeral costs in Spain...hear in the UK it costs around £3,000 for a basic one ...so let's say it costs approximately €3,500 in Spain...how many years would you need to pay in to the scheme (scam) before you accumulated enough funds for a basic burial ...at the minummi amount you could pay in. bearing in mind that you have got to pay administration running cost of such a scheme ...I wouldn't mind betting that you would have to pay in around €6,000 or so to get €3,500 out.

Like 0      
14 Jan 2019 1:10 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Quite amazing how anyone falls for these scams. I suppose no one will admit to being a mug. In fact many defend them not having a clue how much they have paid for what and actually believe their money is safe in some Mickey Mouse made up Trust. These schemes (scams) should be banned and made illegal.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4673286/Funeral-plans-latest-mis-selling-report-says.html

http://funeraldirector.org.uk/exposed-the-shocking-truth-that-funeral-plans-are-a-scam/

This message was last edited by Kavanagh on 14/01/2019.

Like 0      
14 Jan 2019 7:56 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

"Scam" is the word.  A few months ago I was at a shopping precinct of one of the largest UK urbanisations in Spain and I was approached by a women who wanted to sell me a funeral plan.  It was a short conversation. 

I reckon nobody in their right mind buys anything from anyone from a cold call off the street, but sure enough I went past her again in my travels and she had her claws into a couple.  No doubt during the day she was going to sign up some naïve folk to make her day worthwhile.  Well for her, no-one else.

In the UK I've seen TV adverts in the afternoons for Funeral Plans and whilst you know they are rotten deals I've no doubt they are better than these in Spain.  For a start they will be heavily regulated by the FCA with "cooling off" periods etc.  In Spain they don't seem to know what consumer protection legislation means.

Like 0      
15 Jan 2019 8:45 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I have an arrangement with a local funeral directors.    If when I die they are contacted they know I want a basic cremation funeral.  The agreed price is currently a bit under 3,000€.    My family will pay that from money in a bank account which my son and wife have access to

i know that one plan, which uses the funeral director I have my arrangement with,  charge over 5,000 €.    Thus they would make 2,000€ for just calling the funeral directors and telling them to go ahead and of course they have ones money may be for years, with all the risks of going broke, running off with your money , etc.

Like 0      
15 Jan 2019 8:55 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

According to http://funeraldirector.org.uk/exposed-the-shocking-truth-that-funeral-plans-are-a-scam/ in the UK

‘’The funeral plans industry is totally unregulated – that means there is no government body overseeing it to make sure it’s fair, there is no-one at all looking out for you – there is NOTHING AT ALL TO PROTECT YOU OR YOUR MONEY.

Anyone – any crook or unscrupulous company could set up offering funeral plans that aren’t worth the paper they’re written on – and nobody can do A THING about it!

This could make the PPI (Payment Protection Insurance) Scandal look like a picnic’’.

Is that true? I don’t know; let someone from the industry tell us different. The public have a right to know, be it UK or Spain.

This message was last edited by Kavanagh on 15/01/2019.

Like 1      
15 Jan 2019 10:04 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Costs rise, almost monthly so it seems, not only for funerals but for every day items I cannot fathom out how any funeral plan can agree any price when a person can take a plan out say at 50 / 60 years old and die at about 90 years old, no business in the world could work, or last, running on terms like this, it's still a business that has to make profit to survive, when the end comes it might be no surprise that the actual base costs would have tripled, or more, then the small print would come into play,  the world and its wife digest the small print don't they?  Honestly can anyone see them paying out? 

Just another well thought out con like most things are when it comes to parting with hard earned cash.

Like 0      
15 Jan 2019 11:10 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

You are absolutely correct baz. The whole scam seems a ‘’ponzi’’ scheme. Some customers in the early days will get a part paid funeral. But when the scammers have milked the market for the maximum money they will be off, never to be seen again. However until that day arrives they have done nothing illegal.

These plans are being sold as a good deal and some sort of money saving scheme. Clearly they are not, but the usual greedy gold diggers are up for it thinking they are getting something for nothing, and nothing is what they are likely to get. Not surprisingly the greedy gold diggers boast to anyone who will listen how smart they are, just as they have in the past. When it all goes wrong its everyone’s fault but theirs.

Whilst ever you have greedy gold diggers wanting something for nothing you will have scammers.

Like 1      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Bank Charges - 8 posts
Spain's Stolen Babies - BBC 2 tonight at 9pm - 8 posts
Hola Expats - 0 posts
Looking for long term rental in Los Alcazares-Campoamor area(or anywhere near the sea) - 3 posts
DVD recorder not compatible with Sky box - 5 posts
yoigo pay as you go? - 2 posts
Any info on the new Seville southern ring road? - 0 posts
One Month On! - 17 posts
LEGAL HELP Does this sound right to you? - 16 posts
Transfer of ownership from moral owner to legal owner when consent is not given - 7 posts
Removals - 0 posts
Costs for extending mortgage by 10 years - 8 posts
travel links to Denia - 0 posts
Is there a minimum age to leave children alone? - 5 posts
Resident or Non-Resident, confusion - 36 posts
LHD LANDROVER FREELANDER 2003 - 4 posts
Selling apartment and garage separately - 1 posts
Web-Based Start-Up Business - 6 posts
ANYONE INTERESTED IN A HOUSE-SWAP HOLIDAY? - 2 posts
Renewing Driving Licence. before it expires - 6 posts
building within a boundary - 5 posts
Dogs on Beaches? - 10 posts
Will there be compensation for BB users from Spannish Network suppiers - 9 posts
Need the help of you lovely people - 8 posts
NON RESIDENT PROPERTY OWNERS SPANISH TAX - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 27

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x