Short Term Residency in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Sep 2011 12:00 AM by JeffH Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi,

My wife and myself have been planning to move to Spain for a few years now, and are almost ready. However due to the current  economic situation and also other problems we hear of we have decided to rent for 12 months first. Could any one tell us what legal requirements there are which may need to be carried out for us to become temporary residents?

Thanks,

JeffH

Like 0      
06 Sep 2011 3:18 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Jeff.

(This related to EU citizens)

Temporary resident's status does not exist.

If you are physically present in Spain for a period of three months, you must register on the Registry of EU citizens. This is done at the National Police Documentation office for the area where you are living. Current cost 10.20 euros. (The mechanics of the process may vary a little from place to place so when you have decided where you will live ask again for 'local advice').

You will also need to register on the 'padron' at the town hall where you are living.  This is usually a requirment in any case when you register as above.

When you are living here it will be time to look at how you pay your taxes etc.

Like 0      
06 Sep 2011 3:32 PM by JeffH Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Thanks for that. I take it that the physical presence is for 3 months or more i.e. the 12 we intend to rent for. We are looking forward to the move.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Like 0      
06 Sep 2011 3:45 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Incidentally.

If you are living in Spain for 183 days in 12 months then you become tax resident and liable to pay tax on your worldwide assets. 

There are certain provisions under the double taxation agreements.  Example, a government employee pension (say military or police) is taxed at source and thus ignored in Spain.  Income for property rental is also taxable in UK but most other income is taxable here.

But again, you will to check out your situation when you are here.

If you are not working and paying into the Social Services here, you will also need medical insurance  as the Euro Health Card is only good for visitors.

And, once to are 'resident' you are not allowed to drive a foreign registered vehicle, although your UK D/L is still OK.

Like 0      
06 Sep 2011 5:03 PM by JeffH Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Thanks John, I did not think it would be easy. We are retired and therefore will be living on a pension as opposed to wages and there will be no rental properties. I guess as you say, I will have to have advice from the appropriate people when we get there.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Like 0      
06 Sep 2011 5:30 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Hi Jeff.

I think it is an E121 which you need. 

You should get all the health info here:_    

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/movingabroad/Pages/Livingabroad.aspx

I can recommend here.  Claer blue sky, 28C now at 5.15 pm and I cannot remember the last time it rained.

I came here 23 years ago  intending to spend 6 months a year here and then 6 months in UK.  After the first six I returned to UK for 6 months there.  About 3 weeks later I was back in Spain !!!!!!   having given up the idea of staying in UK ever.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 06/09/2011.

Like 0      
06 Sep 2011 6:33 PM by JeffH Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Thanks John,

I hope that we find it as good and stay as long. It`s a tonic to hear you say that after all the horror stories we get back here. It sems the media dwell on too many tales of woe and not enough on those who do stay and enjoy.

Agfain Thanks,

Jeff

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Self employed tax - 3 posts
Tax in Spain - 11 posts
Lawyers for Conveyancing - Different types? - 11 posts
Lawyers - different types - 0 posts
Satellite tv, white card, loss of channels Andalucia - 8 posts
Looking for 2B Apt Marbella San Pedro area, to move around 16/09/11 - 0 posts
conversacion español-ingles en Skype - 0 posts
Non-Resident Income Tax - A Guide - 20 posts
BBC iplayer - 28 posts
transport for a ski walker from Cheltenham to Alicante ? - 0 posts
Is this about right - 9 posts
wi fi in hotels and airports - 5 posts
UK or Spanish Driving Licence - 11 posts
Any advice on the Nerja/Almunecar area - 10 posts
obtaining a spanish driving licence - 18 posts
Childrens' Car Seats - 1 posts
Is there an answer - 1 posts
Betamax Video Recorder - 0 posts
Good News —Titleist 712 Series Irons - 0 posts
Help - 1 posts
spanish lessons - 22 posts
TV....... - 11 posts
Polymorphic light eruption - 0 posts
Furniture Pack for sale - 0 posts
P J's rent a car Alicante - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x