Gardening

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 May 2007 12:00 AM by fraggle Star rating in Catral / Leeds. 4 posts Send private message

We are moving to Spain and have a large plot of land surrounded by a drainage ditch.  the ditch is full of bamboo like weeds (dont know what they are called) and the garden has "super weeds" growing throu the pebbles.  does anyone know what is the best chemical to use to remove them??

Also bug termination!!  Is it worth spraying for mossies and whats best to use?

Is there anything available for them pesky catapillers??

Any help and guidance much appreicated  

This message was last edited by fraggle on 5/22/2007.

Like 0      
23 May 2007 7:08 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

I can't help with all your questions i'm afraid.

The bamboo type stuff is Arundo Donax which we buy here in England for our gardens but is naturalised in Spain and spreads like wildfire. I have seen it burnt out in many places but it still comes back.  If you do use a weedkiller, it will probably work better if you bruise the foliage first so that the toxins can get through.

We have some in our irrigation ditch too. We will have the same problem when we move over later this year.

Let us know how you get on.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
23 May 2007 9:23 AM by Fruit Star rating in Costa Calidia - Murc.... 74 posts Send private message

Fruit´s avatar

Hi Fraggle...fellow Yorkshire person. We used to live just outside Leeds a few moons ago.

Anyway..to your problems regarding the weeds you can get weed killer from the garden centres and hardware shops that work well we have found, don't know much about the bamboo stuff though but I see that someone has answered that problem for you.

Re the catapillars, there have been articels in the free papers about a type that can be quiet harmfull I belive they make their cacoons on pine trees, you have to be carefull as the hairs from the catapillar can cause problems with breathing. I have read that if you have a white hairy nest in a pine tree you have to spray it with hairspray, carefully put a plastic bag arround it then cut off the branch and burn it. I think that's the gist of it but hopefully someone will add to this. Perhaps if you have neigbours it might be an idea to ask them, as usually they are not isolated cases... just be careful.

Anyway, good luck with the move and hope you enjoy Spain.

Regards.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spanish will - 16 posts
New Channel - 3 posts
Anyone moving to Lebrrija? - 27 posts
Veronica - 7 posts
Kids discos san pedro/estepona - 0 posts
Taxation on two properties - 5 posts
Liverpool Athens 2007 - 12 posts
Inner Life in Spain - 0 posts
Election time - 36 posts
Completing on new property when developer has gone bankrupt - 2 posts
hello fron anneF - 6 posts
Airport transfers - 5 posts
Ray and Sue - 2 posts
Air Conditioning - 3 posts
I want to rent out my new apartment in Oropresa marina dor - 8 posts
Remember Living in Spain TV has Launched today - 31 posts
Long Term Rental Available On The Las Ramblas Golf Course In Lux 3 Bed/2 Bath - 0 posts
If You Are Looking For A Bargain Then Look No Further! - 0 posts
sky digital tv - 3 posts
Hello everyone - 11 posts
Slightly Inland CB Chitty Chat - 23 posts
hi - 2 posts
Im new and I apologise - 7 posts
Hi again - 7 posts
Residencial or Turistico????????? - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x