Petrol Prices!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Mar 2011 12:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Are you modifying your driving habits in response to the hike in petrol / diesel prices? I used to drive somewhere as thoughtlessly as I might take a stroll; the cost wasn't a factor that swayed me. Using the car every day was pretty routine I suppose. Now I think twice before I drive anywhere. If I do, I wonder what else I might do to avoid a separate journey.

I recall the slogan from an earlier crisis: 'Be thrifty at 50'. As a consequence my fuel bill is a lot lower than it was when petrol was far cheaper. I recently read that traffic volume was down by 20 percent, and that was before the present spike. It must affect the overall economy: I don't do as many days out as I used to, preferring to stay local.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 11:31 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I had my car serviced recently as I realised I hadn't done it for 3 years. Total mileage since the last one? 1,500 kms. Even without fuel bills, that's a pretty expensive hunk of metal sitting down there in the garage, what with tax and insurance. Still, I sleep well at night knowing my carbon footprint is the size of a  mouse's  

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
10 Mar 2011 9:58 AM by TP1 Star rating in Milton Keynes and Ca.... 161 posts Send private message

Must be a pretty big mouse

Like 0      
10 Mar 2011 2:20 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Yeah, that's some mouse!  Must be a Torremolinos thing.

My car used to live on a diet of 98 octane petrol but these days 95 is much more expensive than 98 used to be so now it's on a diet of 95.

I've lost a couple of horsepower as a result which is killing me

But yes Mike, I have taken the foot off of the accelerator a little as a result of fuel prices.   €1.34 for 95 where we are.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
10 Mar 2011 3:38 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Yes!

With my 4.0 litre Jeep Wrangler I must admit the current price hikes are very 'ouch' in nature!

Having said that it's still cheaper to run than my BMW 2.5 litre Auto was, because just like Justin's Coche, it had a strict diet of 98 ron.

Oh well! You know what this means... more 'shopping runs' to Gib (there is now a huge grin on Mrs Technoapes face!) and fill up there.

Which makes me think that the border with Gib is going to get even more busier than it is now!

But it is still so much fun to drive around in my Jeep (not to mention she turns heads).... and even with doom and gloom over further petrol price hikes....

You still need some fun in life!

So.... Ya boo sucks to you the fatman and the oil cartels.... I'm keeping me gas guzzling, grizzly bear of a motor!

P.S. What are you feeding your mice in Torremolinos?

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 10/03/2011.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
10 Mar 2011 4:31 PM by crostrad Star rating. 92 posts Send private message

I find that lately I've taken to saving up all my little local runs and doing them all on one day if possible. We just got back in u.k after a few days in Valencia and found that the village garage had stuck another 1.5p per litre on the petrol price

Truck needed filling up for a trip yesterday-- so I thought  "S*d the expense --let's see what it takes. I stood with tears streaming down my face as the  pump rang up £96.00 and I thought of the 60% of that money going to the tax man.

I don't begrudge the oil companies making a bob or two--at least they put some work in to earn it

Like 0      
10 Mar 2011 5:37 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Maybe the mouse metaphor wasn't apt, seems to have caused some confusion. I was just trying to think of something small and unobtrusive that doesn't contribute much to the (alleged) greenhouse gasses (allegedly) causing global warming. I honestly think my so-called carbon footprint must be miniscule. I hardly use the car at alI, almost never use the a/c or heating, always re-use any (increasingly rare) plastic bags - I even gave up farting to do my bit for the polar bears.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Free Seminar on Health, Work & Pensions for Expats by the British Consulate Malaga - 0 posts
vista hermosa - 0 posts
The Weather! Has the Cat got your Tongues? - 12 posts
Property Rentals: I have a Cunning Plan - 5 posts
Baltic States: Flights - 8 posts
Teleast Digital - 12 posts
Moving to Spain with canaries - 2 posts
Not all Doom and Gloom - 6 posts
Food Poisoning - 12 posts
fiat brava for sale - 4 posts
Pancake day! - 4 posts
How to become non-resident in Spain - 3 posts
Wanted Urgent! Mijas Costa - Costa del Sol (beds, oven, washing machine.... etc) - 0 posts
Beware dealing with Lawyer who has Power of Attorney - 0 posts
Cement for sale €1.50 per bag - 1 posts
Model aircraft clubs - 12 posts
Breaking down in Spain - 5 posts
Using A Trailer in Spain - 4 posts
soccerschool Camposol area - 0 posts
Indian Restaurant - 0 posts
Spanish Immersion Language Schools. - 2 posts
RUN YOUR OWN ICE CREAM BUSINESS reduced for quick sale - 0 posts
Resident in Spain? Check your Spanish bank account status! - 3 posts
Driving to murcia - 4 posts
Grupo Aleo - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x