Not all Doom and Gloom

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Mar 2011 12:00 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Despite many posts which seem to have taken over this site, it appears it is not all doom and gloom.  References to the Daily Mail, Watchdog (and other) stories regarding horror stories in Spain (and which seem to be given page after page of coverage), a very small paragraph in today's Telegraph says  that the majority of expats do, actually, "live the dream" and find happiness when moving abroad.  Mind you, blink or turn the page quickly and you would probably miss it.  

Britons who move abroad in search of a dream life really do find what they are looking for, according to a new study.  Although they miss anything from friends to fish and chips, it is more than made up by the new life they find in countries such as France, Spain and Australia.  France and Spain were rated as the best countries followed by the US.

So, it's official, then.  Enjoy your walk along the prom or the beach, enjoy your stop in the cafe for a coffee and brandy on the way back.  Enjoy that chat with the neighbours when you're sitting out in your garden and have no fears that you are a bit "unusual" by enjoying your new lifestyle.  It seems you are in the majority, after all.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 1:08 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

To quote the one and only, legendary Meatloaf

"You took the words right out of my mouth" - Must have been when Mrs Technoape was kissing me! lol

Agreed!

There is much doom and gloom around, however we'd rather face it hear in Andalucia!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 1:16 PM by PeterInSpain Star rating in Marbella, Spain. 39 posts Send private message

Wahey some sunshine on a rainy day

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 1:18 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

I couldn't think of any better place to retire than Spain (well, maybe Portugal!!).

I don't think there's too many people of working age "living the dream" in Spain though at the moment though.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 2:05 PM by PeterInSpain Star rating in Marbella, Spain. 39 posts Send private message

Its hard graft but some of us are! Wish they had had computers when I was at school though, if I had ever learned to type I would be much more efficient!

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 10:38 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

I don't know anyone who is or would voluntarily return to the UK. Those who do are those forced to do so by circumstance. They are totally dependent upon the second lowest pension is Europe or they have not yet retired. I know one lady - and she was being serious, who said that if circumstances made returning to Britain unavoidable she would consider taking her her own life so she could die where she has never been happier. I have no desire to move on but if Spain, for any reason, wasn't an option then it would be Argentina or Chile, maybe Turkey but never the UK.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
10 Mar 2011 12:57 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Just to give another perspective, one of my close friends (she is French) is devastated to leave the UK (her hubby has been relocated back to France).. She has been living here for the past five years and has absolutely loved her time here. She's probably visited more places in the UK than many Brits to be honest and during her lifetime has also travelled and lived in several places in the world. Her observations to us at her recent farewell leaving function were that she has found the UK to be a beautiful place to live, with a wide variety of landscape and interests. She found the local people (Northerners) incredibly friendly and welcoming, she loves the local countryside and her walking pursuits with us all. She has taken advantage and integrated into many local activities and organsations not to mention educational pursuits, gardening clubs, historical societies, charitable exploits, etc. So I just wonder if her conclusions stem from a different outlook. An outlook acquired from an opportunity to take advantage of what is on offer in the UK. To look at our culture and people with optimism and an open mind, and to make comparisons from her own wide experience of different peoples and countries. Her conclusion was that she felt priviliedged to have shared time with us all (many of our friends come from a wide variety of social backgrounds, so it's by no means just the privilidged few) and she is leaving with fond memories of a beautiful country with much to offer. Not my words, but hers.......

She is very philosophical and we often talked of the economic downturn, the sad demise of discipline in schools and its impact on the youth, the presures on the  health service, the drug culture etc, oh all manner of negative realities, but in the realm of things she still felt that we were lucky to live here by comparison to elsewhere.

So yes its not all doom and gloom on each side of the channel.

Each to their own.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Food Poisoning - 12 posts
fiat brava for sale - 4 posts
Pancake day! - 4 posts
How to become non-resident in Spain - 3 posts
Wanted Urgent! Mijas Costa - Costa del Sol (beds, oven, washing machine.... etc) - 0 posts
Beware dealing with Lawyer who has Power of Attorney - 0 posts
Cement for sale €1.50 per bag - 1 posts
Model aircraft clubs - 12 posts
Breaking down in Spain - 5 posts
Using A Trailer in Spain - 4 posts
soccerschool Camposol area - 0 posts
Indian Restaurant - 0 posts
Spanish Immersion Language Schools. - 2 posts
RUN YOUR OWN ICE CREAM BUSINESS reduced for quick sale - 0 posts
Resident in Spain? Check your Spanish bank account status! - 3 posts
Driving to murcia - 4 posts
Grupo Aleo - 0 posts
EVERYTHING MUST GO...LEAVING IN 2 WEEKS - 9 posts
A few tricks that real estate agents use - 23 posts
English speaking Vet in Madrid? - 1 posts
Get your telescopes out in Spain... 2011 EY11 - 8 posts
Markets and Money - 1 posts
Route 66 Benimar - 3 posts
South or North? - 8 posts
What's happened to Darren James? - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x