Breaking down in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Mar 2011 12:00 AM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Hi,

A couple of my friends broke down in their hire car on the motorway this morning, and phoned me in a panic, to try and get hold of hire car company. The clutch had gone, and they were stranded for an hour at the side of the road before the hire car company could get to them. No problem with that, but my friend´s wife said 6 police (Guardia Civil and National) cars drove past without stopping to help or offer assistance. A pretty poor show!

What are the rules or laws regarding this in Spain? Surely police should stop if someone breaks down on the  motorway??

Amatista

Like 0      
08 Mar 2011 2:52 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Did your friends deploy any warning triangles?

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
08 Mar 2011 3:32 PM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

I don´t know

Like 0      
08 Mar 2011 3:34 PM by johnp-o-neill Star rating. 24 posts Send private message

Hi Amatista

We broke down on a Motorway in Spain on a bend, the clutch had burned out and we we're an Hour and a half from home. We phoned the Emergency Numbers that we we're given and they never heard of us. After about Fifteen Minnutes I got the car going again and left the car in the same gear all the way home. The next Day I gave out stink to them and they gave us a replacement car which was a heap of dirt but was the only car left that they could give us. After our Holiday when we got home we noticed a few week's later that they actually charged us for the clutch on the car which was  around €340. It is now with the Consumers Rights and I am still waiting for an outcome a Year later. Just to let you know that things can get a lot worst.

Regards

John

Like 0      
08 Mar 2011 3:41 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

If you break down or have an accident on the road in Spain, then you must deploy two warning triangles to inform traffic that there is a possible obstruction ahead.

Also, any occupant stepping out of the vehicle must be wearing a high visibility yellow jacket.

Hire car firms are notorious for not supplying the triangles and High-Vis yellow jackets. You need two triangles and enough jackets to cover all the passengers in the hire vehicle.

If your friends hadn't deployed the warning triangles, and were just sat in the car waiting for the hire car company to turn up, then the Guardia Civil and Local Police probably won't stop as they haven't seen any warning triangles to signify that the car has either broken down or been involved in an accident.

Having said that. if they hadn't deployed the warning triangles and the Local Police or Guardia Civil had stopped, they could have been fined on the spot!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
08 Mar 2011 3:49 PM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Thanks for that Techno Ape. Yes, I know about warning triangles and flurorescent jackets, but I just wondered what the law was regarding police driving past broken down vehicles on the motorway. Perhaps the Guardia thought they were having a picnic beside the A7?

John, that sounds like a nightmare. Funnily enough, my friend´s clutch burnt out too, so I hope he doesn´t get charged for it. I will tell him later to make sure!! Consumer rights?? In Spain? Or did you use a UK firm for car hire? Anyway, good luck with that, and thanks again.

Amatista

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Using A Trailer in Spain - 4 posts
soccerschool Camposol area - 0 posts
Indian Restaurant - 0 posts
Spanish Immersion Language Schools. - 2 posts
RUN YOUR OWN ICE CREAM BUSINESS reduced for quick sale - 0 posts
Resident in Spain? Check your Spanish bank account status! - 3 posts
Driving to murcia - 4 posts
Grupo Aleo - 0 posts
EVERYTHING MUST GO...LEAVING IN 2 WEEKS - 9 posts
A few tricks that real estate agents use - 23 posts
English speaking Vet in Madrid? - 1 posts
Get your telescopes out in Spain... 2011 EY11 - 8 posts
Markets and Money - 1 posts
Route 66 Benimar - 3 posts
South or North? - 8 posts
What's happened to Darren James? - 2 posts
Easter Flights Possible Disruption's - 42 posts
Alex - 0 posts
Deposits and bust buiders...!!! - 3 posts
property available near murcia region, costa calida - 0 posts
NIE/non-resident certificate - 18 posts
900 euro speeding fine - 39 posts
Disposing of Fridge / Freezer - 5 posts
Motoring in Euroland - 6 posts
Los Alcazares Restaurants - 11 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x