Resident in Spain? Check your Spanish bank account status!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Mar 2011 12:00 AM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Recently I received a letter from my bank, BBVA, saying that the Ministry of the Interior had informed them that I was now resident in Spain.  As they had no papers to prove that I was non-resident, they would be blocking my bank account, so I wouldn't be able to make deposits or withdrawals from my account.

As soon as I received the letter, I rushed down to my bank (it was 1pm on a Friday), withdrew 500€ - just in case! - and waited in the queue to speak to an advisor.  My main concern was that my private pension was due to be paid in during the following week, plus two direct debits were due to be paid, as the letter seemed to suggest that I would need to open a new account, which I assumed would have a different account number.

Apparently when the account was open, because they had used my passport as ID, it was opened as a non-resident´s account.   Anyway, the advisor took copies of my residencia certificate plus the padrón certificate, entered details on his PC, got me to sign a couple of pages that he printed off, and told me it was now sorted.  Luckily I have the same bank number and all he has done is change the status of my account to resident.  It looked too easy, however since then my pension has gone in and payments have been made so hopefully it is sorted.  I am also hoping that this means the charges will be less!

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
07 Mar 2011 1:55 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

We had the same a couple of years ago, although we never received a letter from anyone telling us about the change.  The first we knew of it was when payments were rejected and deposits no longer possible.

It took us a bit longer to sort than yours but it is a pain in the backside when it happens.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
07 Mar 2011 5:40 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

I think the important thing for everybody to know is that if you didn't have your residencia certificate or card when opening your account, it is advisable to double check with your bank that your account is one for residents rather than non-residents.  It won't take you long to confirm it, which is better than having a lot of hassle at a later date!

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 11:11 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

I had a non-resident account with my bank. I was in the Torrevieja branch when the eagle-eyed clerk saw my residencia certificate. Tch Tch. I was out of order. That was a no-no; a non-resident's account when I was a resident. He sorted it out there and then. It was painless - apart from the €25 annual charge because basically I was opening a new account.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Driving to murcia - 4 posts
Grupo Aleo - 0 posts
EVERYTHING MUST GO...LEAVING IN 2 WEEKS - 9 posts
A few tricks that real estate agents use - 23 posts
English speaking Vet in Madrid? - 1 posts
Get your telescopes out in Spain... 2011 EY11 - 8 posts
Markets and Money - 1 posts
Route 66 Benimar - 3 posts
South or North? - 8 posts
What's happened to Darren James? - 2 posts
Easter Flights Possible Disruption's - 42 posts
Alex - 0 posts
Deposits and bust buiders...!!! - 3 posts
property available near murcia region, costa calida - 0 posts
NIE/non-resident certificate - 18 posts
900 euro speeding fine - 39 posts
Disposing of Fridge / Freezer - 5 posts
Motoring in Euroland - 6 posts
Los Alcazares Restaurants - 11 posts
Household bills on Long term let's? - 4 posts
Solmar Car Hire - 5 posts
Losing land to pay for urban infra-structure - mortgage??? - 10 posts
Dunnings from Oregon, USA - 1 posts
Sanilles Thermal Spa Invesatment CAUTION - 1 posts
Fire work`s in Spain ,Amazing - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x