Food Poisoning

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Mar 2011 12:00 AM by annmaria Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

We had lunch in a restaurant in Alicante on Sunday which was a seafood pasta, clams, prawns etc. My husband became very sick with food poisoning. We telephoned the restaurant and they simply said what do you want us to do about it. Is there a formal way of complaining. As would not wish this on anyone else...

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 11:55 AM by misterk Star rating in Madrid. 5 posts Send private message

My wife and daughter both often get mild food poisoning from almost any restaurant in Spain. I suspect the levels of hygiene are not the best, I'm afraid.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 12:28 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

I think you are eating in the wrong places.

I have never had any problems and I mostly eat in Spanish rather than English places. I also tend to eat in the cheaper type establishments. Most are family owned and managed and always have the same staff.

On the coast the seafood is always very fresh.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 12:32 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

In Spain there is a consumers organisation called OMIC, which stands for Oficina Municipal de Informacion al Consumidor (Municipal Office of Consumer Information) and they are in all large towns and cities. 

This should be your first port of call, as they will be able to advise you of your rights in such circumstances, and be able to help you put in a formal complaint.

If you suspect food poising, then call a Doctor before you call the restaurant or the OMIC, as the Doctor will be able to give you a letter stating that food poising is either suspect or confirmed.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 12:40 PM by Toddie Star rating in Nr Elche Alicante Hu.... 107 posts Send private message

I agree with Faro, I have lived in Spain for numerous years and frequently eat cheap menu del dia in Spanish restuarants, I have not come across anyone that has suffered from food poisoning !  Are you sure that you are not just a little bit sensitive to sea food, I cannot eat any form of shell fish, it causes violent pains and upset stomach and even the odd bit of cod and chips here and in the UK can cause a bit of a runny tummy so to speak ! 

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 12:42 PM by misterk Star rating in Madrid. 5 posts Send private message

... I should try remember that ... have lived in Madrid for almost a year and had food poisoning 5 times :-) the last time I had it must be 1996 ...  Spanish food IS great (and the only place that beats it by a hair is Japan), but I have personally noticed that only about 1/3rd of people wash their hands after going to the bathroom, so hygiene isn't as much a priority as, say Scandinavia (or Japan).

This message was last edited by misterk on 09/03/2011.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 12:51 PM by Toddie Star rating in Nr Elche Alicante Hu.... 107 posts Send private message

So your bouts of food poisoning are they after eating al types of food, or could it be related to sea food ?

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 12:51 PM by Toddie Star rating in Nr Elche Alicante Hu.... 107 posts Send private message

So your bouts of food poisoning are they after eating all  types of food, or could it be related to sea food ?

This message was last edited by Toddie on 09/03/2011.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 12:57 PM by misterk Star rating in Madrid. 5 posts Send private message

Sorry not the original poster, we don't eat ANY seafood (Madrid is probably not as good for that :-), but yes whole family have an odd sensitivity to food in Spain since we are "multi national" and lived in 5 countries, travelled extensively etc.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 1:12 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

I remember many years ago my wife getting food poisoning in New York after eating tuna salad or something similar. We were young, and it would have been a cheap bite. She reported it to a friendly but cynical "Colombo-lookalike" public health inspector. "Jeez, lady, whaddaya expect, eating seafood in cheap dives? it's just askin' for trouble".

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 1:18 PM by misterk Star rating in Madrid. 5 posts Send private message

Trust me, it takes a lot to get me "going" ... can handle a Brick Lane Phaal, Finnish horsemeat salami or Durban street corner bunny chow, no problem.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 1:27 PM by Toddie Star rating in Nr Elche Alicante Hu.... 107 posts Send private message

That's a bit of an unfortunate situation you and your family have misterk, but if it happens almost everytime you eat out it sounds more likely that your family are sensitive to something rather than getting food poisoning. Maybe have a test, it could be something simple like a dressing, fresh mayo and certain oils can act like a laxitive.  If not come and live on the coast it seems as if the food is better here than Madrid !

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 1:35 PM by misterk Star rating in Madrid. 5 posts Send private message

I used to live in Barcelona (Sitges), but the water was terrible (it sounds like I complain a lot, but I do like Spain actually :-).

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

fiat brava for sale - 4 posts
Pancake day! - 4 posts
How to become non-resident in Spain - 3 posts
Wanted Urgent! Mijas Costa - Costa del Sol (beds, oven, washing machine.... etc) - 0 posts
Beware dealing with Lawyer who has Power of Attorney - 0 posts
Cement for sale €1.50 per bag - 1 posts
Model aircraft clubs - 12 posts
Breaking down in Spain - 5 posts
Using A Trailer in Spain - 4 posts
soccerschool Camposol area - 0 posts
Indian Restaurant - 0 posts
Spanish Immersion Language Schools. - 2 posts
RUN YOUR OWN ICE CREAM BUSINESS reduced for quick sale - 0 posts
Resident in Spain? Check your Spanish bank account status! - 3 posts
Driving to murcia - 4 posts
Grupo Aleo - 0 posts
EVERYTHING MUST GO...LEAVING IN 2 WEEKS - 9 posts
A few tricks that real estate agents use - 23 posts
English speaking Vet in Madrid? - 1 posts
Get your telescopes out in Spain... 2011 EY11 - 8 posts
Markets and Money - 1 posts
Route 66 Benimar - 3 posts
South or North? - 8 posts
What's happened to Darren James? - 2 posts
Easter Flights Possible Disruption's - 42 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x