We are moving to Hondon mid next year

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Sep 2010 12:00 AM by Karin&Martin Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hello everyone,

We are a Dutch couple (I am 44, my husband is 51 and our daughter nearly 8) and have just bought a lovely property in Hondon de los Frailes. In may 2011 we will move to Hondon permanently. We are very excited about it!

We would love to get in contact with other foreigners who live in the area to exchange information, receive usefull tips and last but certainly not least start making new friends!
I am a writer as well as an organiser of creative artclasses. My husband is very good with the Internet and creates websites.

Hope to get lots of reactions to ge to know our future "neighbours" as well as tips about the schools in Hondon.

Kind regards, Karin

Like 0      
18 Sep 2010 4:39 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Hi Karin and welcome to Eye on Spain

I don't know the Hondon area myself but if you need any advice on schools and education in Spain for your 8 year old you might want to check out our new Schools and Education in Spain ebook.

Best of luck with your move next year.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
18 Sep 2010 5:32 PM by Karin&Martin Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Thanks Justin!

Like 0      
18 Sep 2010 5:36 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Hi Karin & Martin

John and I live in Jumilla, which isn't too far from where you will be living.  I've just checked the map and actually you are probably a lot closer to places like Pinoso and Fortuna than Jumilla.  We have an English book swap on the first Tuesday of the month, so if you come along to that you will get to know other people living in the area.  We know a couple who live near Pinoso and also a lady who lives in Fortuna. 

You will need to talk to people who actually know about schools in that area, as the children in Alicante are taught in Valenciano as well as Castellano.  As your English is so good, I guess that your daughter will also speak English. 

Anyway, hope that somebody can specifically tell you about schools near where you will be living.

Kind regards.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
18 Sep 2010 5:55 PM by Karin&Martin Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the message. I love books, so I will definitely visit the book swap. Of course that is once we actually moved to Hondon de los Frailes. What a nice way to meet other people.
I'm glad that you think my English is good/sufficient, but unfortunately my daughter doesn't speak English. In Holland they only start to teach English as a second language when the children are around 11. For now I just hope she will learn Spanish soon. We all follow a Spanish course and have been told that young kids pick up the language a lot easier than the older folks (:

Hope to meet you in person next year. Bye, Karin

Like 0      
21 Sep 2010 9:27 AM by Zoso Star rating in Hondon. 15 posts Send private message

Zoso´s avatar

You'll love Frailes ! There are many many Dutch and Brits with children and I hear teh school there is good. the local council embrace the foreigners and promote a lot of cross-culture events and fiestas. Frailes is a quiet village as you probably know, especially mid-week, but has a lot to offer the peaceful life style. You may need to shop in nearby villages / towns but Frailes has it's fair share of shops, bars and restaurants for a small village. Albatera over mountains is the nearest town for bigger shops / supermarkets and Elche or Crevillents the nearest cities. But exploring the region is a must and all part of the excitement. There are many Dutch on the nearby Urb. Montanosa - which has a Dutch run restaurant. My biggest advice is ALWAYS shop around for services and high-value products as prices vary a lot and some people over-charging... try to get neighbours and friends to recommend a service they trust.

All in all Frailes and nearby Hondon de las Nieves are friendly places to live... it's better if you speak some Spanish - you may find that there are free lessons nearby. Good Luck !

Like 0      
21 Sep 2010 10:04 AM by Karin&Martin Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi Zoso,

Thanks for your message. I also visited your website and just absorbed all the information it contains. Great job! Well, mayby see you around next year?

Regards, Karin

Like 0      
01 Dec 2010 9:06 PM by sanoliver Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Hi  Karin  and  Martin.

Hondon  de  los  Frailes  is  a  wonderful  place  and  I  believe  you  will  be  made  very  welcome  by  all  the  different  nationalities  especially  the  Spanish.

I  do  not  live  there  permantly  but  have  a  holiday  apartment  which  I  purchased  in  2006.

There  is  suffice  in  the  village  to  ensure  you  do  not  starve  or  go  thirsty  but  like  everyone  there  are  certain  items  you  must  go  further  afield  to  purchase. 

I  am  informed  that  the  international  school  has  an  excellent  reputation

Restaraunts  and  the  bars  offer  quality  food  and  a  convivial  atmosphere  for  both  parents  and  children.

The  village  is  in  the  process  of  having  a  Theatre  and  Library  built  adjacent  to the  Town  Hall.

Recently  a  Frozen  Food  shop  was  opened  which  seems  to  be  well  patronised.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Any Suggestion or Help on How to Deal with This Lawyer - 11 posts
Jokes - 27 posts
DoYouSpain appear to price match! - 6 posts
swimming pool fences in winter - 9 posts
Skype phone - 2 posts
Fuengirola - Feenix Furniture and Imperial Furniture - 3 posts
Decode -alicante car hire - 4 posts
Costs and charges for selling property? - 25 posts
Paramount in Murcia- any opinions? - 10 posts
English teacher for 6 & 8 year old - 0 posts
Very dissapointed in Marks and Spencers..... - 2 posts
SHADE SAIL FOR SALE! - 0 posts
best place to find expats - 13 posts
Market at the racecourse - 0 posts
Studio apartment - Calahonda - how much?? - 3 posts
WANT TO MOVE TO SPAIN BUT ON MEDICATION FOR RA - ON CLINICAL TRIAL - 7 posts
What do we really think about Spanish estate agents? - 19 posts
Car wanted - 3 posts
No ADSL cable - what option for internet connection? - 18 posts
Please, be on the look out for this man......... - 7 posts
CAN'T LOG IN ON OTHER COMPUTER - 23 posts
Wording English Classes Ad, What Charge ? - 2 posts
Best Spanish Bank for UK residents - 36 posts
Certificate of Habitation - 14 posts
Endessa-ICP Issues - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x