Okay, so what's the best way to ask for Beer???

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Feb 2010 12:00 AM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 300 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

We've all been there, making the size with our hands and asking for "Big Beer & Little Beer" but what is the correct, best and more Spanish way of asking?

"dos cervezas por favor, uno grande y uno pequeño

or

más grande de cerveza y una cerveza pequeña por favor

or

un litro y medio de cerveza, por favor

or

???

Kel

Like 0      
09 Feb 2010 9:13 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Una caña = a small beer (around 200ml)

Un tubo = a beer served in a straight glass (250ml - 330ml)

Una pinta or una jarra = a pint

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
09 Feb 2010 9:20 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 300 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Thanks Sanchez1, I did not realise that una pinta is a pint!, so would the correct phrase for a large beer and a small beer (pint and half) be:

Una Pinta y una cana por favor

Sorry don't know how to get the thing above the n.

Kel

Like 0      
09 Feb 2010 9:27 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

You're probably better off using "jarra" instead of "pinta".  So it would be:

"Una jarra y una caña"

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
09 Feb 2010 9:54 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 300 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Thanks Sanchez1

Kel

Like 0      
09 Feb 2010 10:48 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi Sanchez

I thought 'cana' was like a bottle beer and cerveza was the pump beer? whats the difference please.

s

Like 0      
10 Feb 2010 12:06 AM by auntielinda Star rating in San Miguel de Salina.... 646 posts Send private message

Tis th'other way around  cana is house beer and cerveza is bottled as in  "una cana y una cerveza sin alcoho" however as sin alcolhol is becoming more common in some bars it is on tap so you could ask for "una cana sin alcohol y una cerveza"

Great Auntie Linda

Like 0      
10 Feb 2010 12:25 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

My understanding is that "una caña" is a small beer (really small in my world!!), as Sanchez1 says about 200ml and, as auntielinda says, usually on draft (as a bottle probably wouldn't come that small!!).

Whenever we have ordered beer, we have always asked for "cerveza" and it has always been draft, unless we have specifically asked for a bottled beer.

Like 0      
10 Feb 2010 1:06 AM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 300 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

auntielinda - cerveza sin alcohol??? following the logic of petrol and sin plomo does sin alcohol mean beer without alcohol??

a strange request indeed in these parts of South Yorkshire, not even the ladies would think of asking for a half of lager without any alcoholic content, or am i missing something in the intepretation?

Kel

Like 0      
10 Feb 2010 1:23 AM by philevans Star rating in Axminster Devon & Sa.... 187 posts Send private message

philevans´s avatar

Just tried to find the siesta show No 58 -How to order a beer, but seems to have gone. It was very amusing.

I always ask for a tubo

What you see is what you get 

Like 0      
10 Feb 2010 9:05 AM by Spondonites Star rating in England, UK & Almeri.... 62 posts Send private message

Do you pronounce jarra as in English with a J or an H as in "harra" ?

Like 0      
10 Feb 2010 9:16 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I think you need to watch this video.  It explains it all (with a bit of slurring).

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
10 Feb 2010 9:38 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Round here 'una jarra' will get you exactly that ,a jug of beer. ( pronounced harra )

Una caña, or una fresca, = draft beer

Una cerveza = a bottle

Una cerveza grande = Large draft beer.

I was quite surprised how much cerveza sin alcohol ( pronounced alcool ) is drunk here. The only one you used to see was Bucklers, both draft & bottles , although one or to other manufacturers , like san miguel have them out now.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
10 Feb 2010 11:27 AM by TP1 Star rating in Milton Keynes and Ca.... 161 posts Send private message

Justin,

Loved the video

Like 0      
10 Feb 2010 1:03 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

I once ordered a jarra in Manilva pueblo.  The barman looked at me a bit funny and asked me if I was sure.  He then handed over a 2 litre plastic jug full of beer!

Pitby, you can actually get 200ml bottles of beer - "botellin" in Spanish.

Like 0      
10 Feb 2010 6:12 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"Sorry don't know how to get the thing above the n." Try Alt+0241. And for the best pronunciation of jarra, try hoiking up some phlegm! Salud!!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
10 Feb 2010 6:39 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi Roberto

The thing above the 'n' is called a 'tilde' I think, dont know how to get it on a English key board, I guess on a spanish key board it would be on the n key.

Me and the other half just ask for 'Dos cerveza pequenas por favor', always seems to be understood.

Like 0      
10 Feb 2010 6:57 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I was answering an earlier comment. It's a separate key on the Spanish keyboard, but on any other keyboard, use Alt+0241

Just for the record, I usually ask for a Mahou, just in case they bring me Cruzcampo, which makes me feel like puking. And in the local dialect in Benalmádena, I believe the correct pronunciation is "two pintsa lager guv".

Mark Twain

Like 0      
10 Feb 2010 7:06 PM by Max Kite Star rating in Castilléjar, Granada. 308 posts Send private message

Max Kite´s avatar

OK - the tilde above the "n" as in ñ is on the Spanish keyboard next to the JKLkeys.  I think a UK keyboard has a tilde somewhere, which you should be able to get with an Alt key???

Anyway...MUCH more importantly....

Un quinto...................bottle of beer 200ml

Un cuarto (rare)........bottle of beer 250ml

Un tercio....................bottle of beer 330ml

Caña..........................wine glass of draught beer approx 200ml

Tubo...........................tube of draught 330ml approx. (they don't seem to understand this in Murcia)

Tanque pequeño....glass tankard of approx 500ml

Pinta..........................blank looks from bar staff except on coast.

Tanque.....................Anything from glass tankard of 500ml to 1 litre.

If you go to Granada or Jaen provinces, you will get a FREE tapa as well, and they are very good!  If you are hungry, order cañas and you will have eaten well after 4 or 5 glasses.  Each tapa is different, and may include prawns, magra, lomo etc. etc.  These are given without asking.

Like 0      
10 Feb 2010 7:53 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

OK, for the last time: Alt+0241!!!!!!

Never ever heard quinto, cuarto, tercio etc., nor for that matter tanque, but every region has it's own peculiarities. Try ordering a nube (weak milky coffee) in a cafe outside of Andalucia, for example. When in Granada, try the local Alhambra, which also beats the cr*p out of the local dirty dishwater in Malaga (Cruzcrappo), and yes, the free tapas is a nice traditional touch still observed, but Max, you must have a small appetite! There are still a few places around here doing it, one very popular one in La Carihuela called Tio something or other (although they serve dirty dishwater with it).

This message was last edited by Roberto on 10/02/2010.

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Ryanair's latest cost cutting?? - 6 posts
Granting of Habertation Certificate - 4 posts
Malaga Airport (AGP) T3 Official Opening - 4 posts
proposed roue railway San Pedro to Estepona - 0 posts
work - 0 posts
Aluminium Box Trailer with secure lid for sale - 1 posts
Credit/Debit Card Scam - 1 posts
INFORMATION NEEDED FOR NIE - 20 posts
Autumn Bookings P&O Ferries Portsmouth/Bilbao Cancelled - 1 posts
Fiscal Fees????? - 4 posts
Delete an inactive blog - 2 posts
Armchair required - 0 posts
Being a Teacher (Piano) ? - 2 posts
Flight Delays - 2 posts
Driving an open-topped car with a baby.... - 3 posts
snowboarding - 1 posts
best tapas on costa del sol - 17 posts
Paying money into Spanish Bank Account - 50 posts
Cheapest way to play golf in The Costa del sol - 0 posts
Piano Teaching in Spain - 0 posts
WALK FROM mOUNTAIN pARK - 1 posts
Wow it is quiet!! - 12 posts
Hi All - moving to Alicante or Malaga areas - 5 posts
Speed cameras on Spanish roads - 12 posts
Understanding spanish bank statement - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 47

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x