BEWARE OF GOLDCAR

Spain Airport Car Hire
Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Nov 2009 5:18 PM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

We have used carjet for years with no probs... If I were you I'd call Carjet with your concerns. They can change your hire company to another company if you want them to. They are quite helpful..

Like 0      
06 Nov 2009 6:13 PM by sadlerfin Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

I just mailed carjet and they changed my rental company.

Power of the net.

Derek

Like 0      
06 Nov 2009 6:14 PM by stonephil Star rating in Stone Staffordshire .... 399 posts Send private message

stonephil´s avatar

Harthillfoxes,

Following a House of Lords ruling you are protected when using a UK credit card any where in the world, just as you are in the UK.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/news/press/2007/149-07

The credit card company are jointly and severally liable and so your next port of call is to inform the credit card company of this.

If you PM me your email address I have the necessary form to complete.

Upon receipt your credit card company should ringfence the disputed amount so that you are not charged any further interest and should then take up the dispute with Goldcar. Your contract is with your credit card company as well as Goldcar.

I had a similar problem with a furniture supplier in Spain and was given a complete refund by my card company. Total amount was €6500.

So it does work be persistent..

Once you have your money back I suggest you immediately cancel your card and get a new one.

Phil

Like 0      
07 Nov 2009 5:37 PM by merrylegs Star rating in Switzerland. 50 posts Send private message

merrylegs´s avatar

Look up www.telegraph.co.uk/travelviews page T21 of today's DT concerning a letter entitled "Driven to despair over hire car claim" concerning CarJet and Goldcar.

Like 0      
07 Nov 2009 5:37 PM by merrylegs Star rating in Switzerland. 50 posts Send private message

merrylegs´s avatar

Look up www.telegraph.co.uk/travelviews page T21 of today's DT concerning a letter entitled "Driven to despair over hire car claim" concerning CarJet and Goldcar.

This message was last edited by merrylegs on 07/11/2009.

Like 0      
08 Nov 2009 3:19 PM by tech Star rating in Maidstone/Turre when.... 83 posts Send private message

Hi Merrylegs

thanks for pointing out the article in the Telegraph. I looked it up and it is disturbing what these car hire companies will try and get away with. I have a car booked through Carjet in two weeks time (using Goldcar). I have told Carjet of the comments made on this site and they have said for a little extra I could tranfer to Solmar. Not sure if that would be any better. If I could find secure and cheap long term parking at or near to Almeria airport I would buy a car and leave it there to save all the hassle.

Regards Tech.

Like 0      
08 Nov 2009 4:10 PM by ajw Star rating in Aberdeen. 1088 posts Send private message

ajw´s avatar

I was supposed to be with Goldcar last month but when I arrived (booked through Do You Spain - with whom I have previously had no problems - normally get put onto Auriga Crown and this was the first time I had been allocated Goldcar), and Goldcar demanded another 60 euros for fully comp - which is meant to be included in the Do You Spain deal.  I argued but they simply shrugged it off and I eventually went over to the Solmar desk and the girl was lovely.  The car was good and they brought it right to the front door of the airport for me.

'Heslop' who posts on this forum leaves his car at the airport and I think he is happy with the service from the airport car storage/parking deal he gets so it probably is worth looking into.

Arlene

www.alhamagolfapartment.co.uk

Like 0      
08 Nov 2009 7:06 PM by 66d35 Star rating. 243 posts Send private message

I'd also like to say that I have had multiple rentals from SOLMAR at both Almeria and Alicante and found them very reliable and helpful. No problems at all. My one experience with GOLDCAR was my last. Enough said.

Worth noting that under the new payment regulations from 1 November it is much easier to get a total refund if things go wrong - not just the 'disputed amount.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/savings-and-banking/article.html?in_article_id=490048&in_page_id=7

I can see this being very useful when dealing with certain car hire firms.

Andy

This message was last edited by 66d35 on 08/11/2009.

Like 0      
10 Nov 2009 11:39 AM by Jet48 Star rating in Estepona / Great Yar.... 106 posts Send private message

Jet48´s avatar

The stories of 3 1/2 hour waiting and substandard vehicles just fills us with confidence, we are booked with Goldcar tommorrow. The main problem in making bookings through trawler type agents is that you dont know who you are with untill the final confirmation comes through. This in alot of cases  is after you've paid deposits or indeed the full amount, which makes cancellation awkward and sometimes fees can be involved. In the case of this trip we have already cancelled two other bookings as the hire companies were off airport and shuttle buses were involved. We have used Goldcar several times before and really have never had any  problems, however this will be the first time this year, so we look forward to it with trepidation.The whole thing of hiring cars now seems to be a lottery as to how you get charged and what vehicles you get, we've had good experiences and some bad ones.We have had bad service,  waiting for two hours in queues, refused vehicles because there filthy or mechanically not sound, the only way to stop this is by avoiding using these companies, if enough people do it the message will get through.

So will we get the popemobile tommorrow, who knows, watch this space.

Like 0      
10 Nov 2009 12:09 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

So will we get the popemobile tommorrow, who knows, watch this space.

Last seen driving around the Benidorm area last Friday at 9pm on ITV  

Mark

This message was last edited by Marksfish on 10/11/2009.

Like 0      
10 Nov 2009 4:45 PM by ajw Star rating in Aberdeen. 1088 posts Send private message

ajw´s avatar

Hi JET42  - I received an email yesterday from my complaint to Goldcar about my booking via Do You Spain and they are still saying that if you book through DYS it is 3rd party only.  Completely contrary to what DYS are still telling me!!!????  Not sure if you did book through Do You Spain but please watch out as I'm sure you most certainly don't want to be motoring around on 3rd party only during your stay.  The bandits will ask for approx 60 euros to 'upgrade' to fully comp.

www.alhamagolfapartment.co.uk

Like 0      
10 Nov 2009 7:10 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi even if you do not use dys you are asked for 60euros to be fully covered on the car hire irene

Like 0      
10 Nov 2009 7:49 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Sometimes it's the agent who provides the fully comp insurance not the car hire company but no idea if this is the case with DYS.

Regards, Poppyseed

Poppyseed

Like 0      
10 Nov 2009 9:49 PM by Jet48 Star rating in Estepona / Great Yar.... 106 posts Send private message

Jet48´s avatar

AJW  Re; The bandits will ask for approx 60 euros to 'upgrade' to fully comp.

We have booked through Bravo Car Hire on their rental voucher it states the following:-

OPTIONAL EXTRA INSURANCE: CDW without excess is included in the price. However, wheels/tyres, windows, undercarriage, clutch, keys etc. are not covered. Goldcar offer 2 optional extra insurance products: 1) Wheels/tyres and windows cover (3 euros/day, min. 20 euros, max. 36 euros (60 euros if 28 days or longer)) 2) Relax cover (wheels/tyres, windows, undercarriage, clutch, keys) 5 euros/day, min. 30 euros, max. 60 euros (90 euros if 28 days or longer)).

We carry our own insurance to cover excess, a relatively cheap policy less than £40 a year, so we wont be paying any extras for insurance. However even with this we are normally asked to pay 300 euros deposit against any claims which is refunded at the end of the hire. The downside of this is you often suffer loses due to exchange rates and service charges if you use a UK credit card.

Like 0      
11 Nov 2009 5:07 PM by cycocity Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

There is such a shortage of cars held by the smaller "local" car hire companies this year and many have not bought any new vehicles.  This is resulting in poor quality cars being hired out.  I think that there is little to choose cost wise between the locals and the multinationals like Avis, Hertz etc especially if booked through trawler sites like Easycar and Holiday Autos.

Added advantage of using a multinational, the security deposit is BLOCKED on your card, not debited so there are no problems with exchange rates etc as there is no refund because there was no actual charge.  Only problem is that this reduces available credit on the card for up to 7 days after the return of the car.

Like 0      
11 Nov 2009 7:27 PM by duggy Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Have used Goldcar at San Javier airport through Carjet on four occassions. Have always had new or nearly new vehicle and no problems. That however was last year so maybe things have changed since then.

Like 0      
13 Dec 2009 2:54 PM by tech Star rating in Maidstone/Turre when.... 83 posts Send private message

Hi all,

thought I'd just update this thread on Goldcar. I returned from Spain 2 weeks ago and the car hire company was Goldcar through Carjet. When I went to their desk there was only 1 person in front of me and I presume that was because there was no other flights into Almeria airport, and I was quick off the mark, because I only had hand luggage. It didn't take long for a longish queue to form behind me with weiry travellers waiting to pick up their cars. The car I was allocated was a C3 and I was charged 56 euros for diesel. (How can you get 56 euros worh of diesel into a C3?) there was another 14 euros because it was diesel and another 45 euros for their 'relax insurance top up'. A total of 115 euros, nearly as much as I paid for the weeks hire of the car!

Anyway, I'm flying out again next week and although I normaly use Carjet I've saved £92 by using Do You Spain and their hire company is Auriga Crown. I presume that all hire companies will charge about the same for fuel and insurance but I just hope the saving I have made offsets these charges.

Best wishes.

Tech

Like 0      
13 Dec 2009 7:29 PM by nicolaraho Star rating in Surrey and Mar Menor.... 90 posts Send private message

I  am also going through Do you Spain for my car hire in Feb 2010, athough Hertz hve worked out much cheaper for me in the summer 2010. I think you just have to crunch your dates and see what deals are to be had. Always watch the  excess as this can bump up the cost.

Like 0      
14 Dec 2009 10:14 AM by TP1 Star rating in Milton Keynes and Ca.... 161 posts Send private message

An update from me too!

My last three visits (all for a couple of days) have now cost me £100 in fuel despite returning the car full (thus there should be no fuel charge).  I am still persuing this case as is auto-europe who i arranged the car hire through.   Goldcar have refunded some of the excess fuel charges but a derisory amount to be honest.  And yes, as per other people i have been ripped off and have paid virtually double for the car hire that i first agreed to.  But i am still fighting!

The last visit i booked again with auto-europe, but this time phoned (instead of internet booking) and said i did not want Goldcar.  They said no problem and i got 'Record'.    Well fantastic! ... just like i am sure Goldcar were before.  Lovely car, no fuel charge just return it full.  I did so and no problem whatsoever .  I was very pleased to see Goldcar queue empty .... maybe people and hire car agents are voting with their feet.  I do hope so.

Goldcar ... bah Humbug ... more like GoldDiggers.

Like 0      
14 Dec 2009 1:37 PM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

Our last car hire at the end of November was with Econorent from Murcia. Lovely car no problems, no queue everything went really well. Much better than Goldcar where we were ripped off snd slthough I did in the end get some money back it was nowhere near enough. 

We got out again on January 1. However, Econorent's prices have gone up a lot. We are using a broker, okcar.co.uk who have put us with Auriga crown. Incredible price! Much cheaper than anything else we have found. Have already booked for February and March with them. Yes, we have used them before and were more than happy! Kevin

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

La Tasa Anual Equivalente TAE? - 8 posts
where to buy safety/stairs gates for kids - 2 posts
Google Toolbar Translator - 2 posts
Key holding and cleaning on an ''as and when required'' basis ? - 2 posts
A few items needed! - 0 posts
Old Fool - 51 posts
Guardia Civil - 7 posts
EHIC - Changes to Procedures - 0 posts
fed up with spanish bank - 6 posts
Sotogrande Support Group for Depression/Anxiety - 0 posts
Can we afford to live in Spain - 9 posts
Moped ITV - 1 posts
Instant Access International Spanish office - closed down Feb 2009 - 1 posts
Finally found a copy of the highway code and set out below a rough translation: - 4 posts
Bank holiday - 2 posts
Driving to Gibraltar - 12 posts
Fiscal Residence - 4 posts
Sunbeds - 2 posts
breakdown recovery - 0 posts
Has the Spanish Property Market reached its bottom? - 11 posts
Guests left stranded at Almeria airport!! - 4 posts
Interesting article re the property market - 1 posts
La Yenka - 0 posts
Selling In Spain - Agents or not? - 5 posts
No Claims Certificate? - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 106

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x