Selling In Spain - Agents or not?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Aug 2009 12:00 AM by eggbilly Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hello all.

I've had an apartment in San Pedro Del Pinatar since 2006 which my wife and I originally bought off-plan. We get such little use from it that we decided to try and sell it.

The estate agents in the region all seem to have disappeared, though there are one or two "web based" operations that offer to put up a sign in addition to listing the property on their web sites.

At the moment, I am trying to do it all myself, with some help from a local translator who's letting me put her phone number on the "se vende" board, so that I can take enquiries from Spanish people as well as English.

I realise that it's not a great time to be selling and have adjusted my price accordingly, but wonder if this is enough.

Should I be with an agent? Are there any good ones around San Pedro Del Pinatar?

Naturally, I've listed it on eyeonspain, but I don't think that many Brits are buying in Spain at present.

What would you do?

Like 0      
30 Aug 2009 11:53 AM by Zoso Star rating in Hondon. 15 posts Send private message

Zoso´s avatar

Hi, Yep it is poor time to sell so I reckon that a DIY selling job with a board up is going to be a hit and miss - i.e. is someone passes. Surely you need to spread the word far and wide so an agent and web based marketing is essential I would have thought. So don't  just concentrate locally - there's a whole world to tell !!!

Like 0      
30 Aug 2009 12:01 PM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

Hi Eggbilly, I can only comment as a buyer. We bought a property at the tail end of 2008. I did all the research and made a short list on the net. Made arrangements before I went to see properties with the agents. Within 3 days of arriving we had narrowed it down to one. Made a very low offer. However, the agent was fairly sure it would be accepted. By day 6 we had an accepted offer, got the NIE numbers with the solicitor arranging everything and the deposit paid by day 10. We wanted a 6 week completion period which we managed to agree with the vendor and our solicitor dealt with everything. We did not go to Spain to complete. 

I cannot believe without the help of an agent that we would have bought. We certainly would never have done it in that time frame. We wanted various jobs done and again the agent was able to point us in the direction of a builder. We tried ourselves to find one and they were either unable to do the job or were so expensive it was untrue. The agents builder has now done the work and made a stunning job for the amount we paid! Whenever we had second thoughts or doubts we had someone to talk to who would either answer our concerns or direct us on how to find out. We now have a stunning villa at a very attractive price. I doubt without the agents help we would have got this far. From a buyers point of view the agent has not cost us a penny. Guess what, we have told lots of our friends about the incredible service we've had. Trick is to find a good agent! 

Like 0      
31 Aug 2009 4:26 PM by eggbilly Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thanks for the comments!

I am advertising the property on it's own web site and on here. It was the advertising that caused me to register :)

That said, I do think I probably need to go through an established local agency. The problem is, they've all gone now I think.

If anyone knows of one local to San Pedro Del Pinatar / Lo Pagan, please let me know.

Like 0      
01 Sep 2009 9:35 AM by bakeja Star rating in Manilva. 49 posts Send private message

There must be Spanish agents still around?  Maybe aiming at a sale to Spanish market would be worth considering as they do seem to be looking at the right price.  You could put it on some free Spanish websites.

Advoco Law & Accountancy

Latest article: Guide to Spain's Autonomo System

Like 0      
01 Sep 2009 9:44 AM by eggbilly Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

I agree. One of the reasons I have asked a Spanish speaking person to take calls on my behalf is that when I first placed it for sale, one of the neighbours offered to show people around.

The problem was that he wouldn't show Spanish people and they are the only ones buying at the moment.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

No Claims Certificate? - 3 posts
Yucca Plants trimming tips needed. - 2 posts
rental property - 0 posts
Ikea Expedit bookcase for sale - 0 posts
Mother, Baby and Toddler Show - 0 posts
Jet2 online check in rip- off - 13 posts
Whats In Area of La Duquesa For Children - 2 posts
where to sell used furniture estepona? - 1 posts
HELP!! Can anyone help us find a supermarket open Saturdays until very late? - 6 posts
Spanish Property Supermarket - 26 posts
Tabernas Gabo de Gato in almeria - 2 posts
Doctor care - 0 posts
Does Solbank have a branch in London UK? - 2 posts
Jet2.com News - 3 posts
Cajamar bank - free banking - 0 posts
Hello all - 65 posts
newbie NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! - 4 posts
advice - 0 posts
Has anyone heard of the Complex Altos del Golf - 2 posts
Cheap home contents insurance - 0 posts
Endesa English Speaking Staff - 3 posts
Administrator Reports - 0 posts
I know why none of us are receving electric bills from Sevillana!!!!!!! - 1 posts
Has anyone got any ideas for fundraising? - 2 posts
If cannot pay Inheritance Tax? - 11 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x