Guardia Civil

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 Aug 2009 12:00 AM by PandJ Star rating. 40 posts Send private message

Dear All,

We have just returned from a break in Mojacar Costa Almeria and can witness first hand that there are loads of Guardia Civil Officers stopping cars for a number of reasons. These range from driving in flip flops to not having hi vis jackets and warning triangles in hire cars. Apparentally drivers are being fined on the spot. On the local Mojacar radio station Spectrum FM they reported that Garrucha (next town to Mojacar) was a training centre for the Guardia hence the concentration in the area. Also reported was a dramatic increase in breathalysing drivers especially the morning after.

Our hire car did not have any hi vis or warning triangle, does anyone have any info on whose responsibility this is to provide ?.

Like 0      
01 Sep 2009 12:05 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

quote...Our hire car did not have any hi vis or warning triangle, does anyone have any info on whose responsibility this is to provide ?.

Given that it is against the law to operate a vehicle without warning triangles and hi-viz vests, my interpretation would be that it is the hire company's responsibility, BUT it must be the hirer's responsibilty to ensure that these are actually present in the car at the time of acceptance...

Hi -viz vests can be bought at any Halfords for a couple of pounds and weigh next to nothing and take up very little room in baggage...best advice would be bring your own...one for each occupant.

BTW if you are stopped by the GCat the roadside for whatever reason and 'invited' to get out of the car, put the vest on before leaving the vehicle...

Over zealous GC have been known to impose a fine for not doing so...

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
01 Sep 2009 7:52 AM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

Hi PandJ,

With regard to hire comapnies supplying hi-vis jackets and triangles...they dont. You have to ask for them and pay a deposit (about €20). their argument is, that if you get stopped and fined they will pay the fine for you!!!! Yeah eventually no doubt!!

I have had this argument with most of the hire companies every time I hire a car I think they should already be in the car when you pick it up..

Like 0      
01 Sep 2009 8:35 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Of course, it is the Hire company who needs to provide the safety elements ( jackets, triangles...), ask for it and if not provided sign a claim sheet and got to a diffrent Rent-a-car

Come on... let´s be serious!

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
03 Sep 2009 4:40 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Most hire car companies don't provide safety vest, triangles etc.

I take my own vest with me in my hand luggage and have two warning triangles plus extra vests at the house.  I don't have the required spare bulbs as you never know what you're driving until you arrive at the airport.

I've found that Econorent give you one vest, triangles and bulbs.  But from previous threads some guardia officers will fine you if you don't have enough vests for all the seats in the car, regardless of how many people in the car at the time.

Like 0      
03 Sep 2009 5:21 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

A hire car is about as rare as an estate agent in Spain at the moment.!!!!!..........i have spoken to so many people that cannot get one or who have been let down after booking one prior.

Because of the current economic climate the Hire companies are not renewing their fleets.

I know one guy that owns a car saleroom  that has started hiring cars,he is the busiest he has been for years.

In my opinion if the car has not got vests in go to the market and get yourself one,like any law in Spain it is open to interpretation!!

The hire car company will never compensate and to argue with  Guardia Officer about where the fault lies is not really going to happen.........

Like 0      
05 Sep 2009 9:12 AM by Malvina Property Services Star rating. 53 posts Send private message

Malvina Property Services´s avatar

They all listened to the doom and gloom merchants (some of whom frequent these forums) who predicted a serious down turn in the numbers coming to Spain. Whilst they are down, here on the Costa del Sol it has been extremely busy, especially in August. Anyone who has been to Malaga Airport will question the downturn. I could have doubled our business if we had more properties available, but everywhere was full. I had to help out lots of clients who had booked flights but not hire cars, they had thought that as previously they could just turn up and get one. Hey Ho!

John

This message was last edited by Malvina Property Services on 05/09/2009.

Like 0      
05 Sep 2009 11:29 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

If this is not too obvious a question why aren't the authorities fining those car companies that don't follow their rules and regulations (extra source of income from the perpetrators, not the innocent clients!)? Why should a client have to pay for their own jackets, pay fines, whatever, when the rules stipulate otherwise? This is crazy!!

This message was last edited by ads on 05/09/2009.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

EHIC - Changes to Procedures - 0 posts
fed up with spanish bank - 6 posts
Sotogrande Support Group for Depression/Anxiety - 0 posts
Can we afford to live in Spain - 9 posts
Moped ITV - 1 posts
Instant Access International Spanish office - closed down Feb 2009 - 1 posts
Finally found a copy of the highway code and set out below a rough translation: - 4 posts
Bank holiday - 2 posts
Driving to Gibraltar - 12 posts
Fiscal Residence - 4 posts
Sunbeds - 2 posts
breakdown recovery - 0 posts
Has the Spanish Property Market reached its bottom? - 11 posts
Guests left stranded at Almeria airport!! - 4 posts
Interesting article re the property market - 1 posts
La Yenka - 0 posts
Selling In Spain - Agents or not? - 5 posts
No Claims Certificate? - 3 posts
Yucca Plants trimming tips needed. - 2 posts
rental property - 0 posts
Ikea Expedit bookcase for sale - 0 posts
Mother, Baby and Toddler Show - 0 posts
Jet2 online check in rip- off - 13 posts
Whats In Area of La Duquesa For Children - 2 posts
where to sell used furniture estepona? - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x