BEWARE OF GOLDCAR

Spain Airport Car Hire
Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Nov 2010 2:18 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

I always use Atesa and once when I wanted a car and they had not got any available for the days I wanted so when I complained they said don't worry they would get me a new car from Citroen which came with 15km on the clock. I returned it a couple of days later with 2,500km on the clock. I felt so bad I cleaned it before I took it back!

I have never had any problems with Atesa. Atesa is the leasing arm of citroen - highly recommended!

The problem with a lot of other car hire companies is they are tweaking their prices to apear no. 1 in the various internet portal sites and piling on the extras when you are standing in their office and have no choice. It's the same with cheap flights really?

The problem is the internet. People have no loyalty and buy on price alone. My advice is find a good company that treats you well and stick with them even if they are not always the cheapest. You get to know the staff and they get to know you and then they will look after you.

Below is another complaint about goldcar.

Like 0      
16 Dec 2010 11:52 PM by KevinW4 Star rating in London/Mojacar Playa. 25 posts Send private message

For my part, I don't think Goldcar are any worse (or better) than many of their competitiors. It's just difficult to find ONE Company that is reliable and treats you as a sensible person.

I booked over the internet and found Goldcar to be one of the cheapest, 47 euros for 9 day hire, nil excess etc from Almeria airport.

However, when collecting I was charged 81 euros for a full tank of diesel, in a Fiesta...

So, I did a lot of driving, trip to Murcia IKEA from Mojacar etc. On the way back, the full low light came on about 30km from Mojacar so I put 10 euros in only to see the fuel gauge register as one third full!!! So, at best a full tank would be less than 40 euros, so how on earth do they get away with charging double the cost at a petrol station (and no doubt they arrange a discount rate for their fuel!

I'd like to see a website where not only the basic rental price is shown, but the cost of fuel and "extras" such as additional drivers, child seats etc.

If you booked a Ryanair flight for pennies and then found you had to pay again on boarding for a seat, there would be an outcry, yet rip off fuel prices are just as outrageous.

Like 0      
17 Dec 2010 11:08 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Kevin

You may like to use this company who are fast getting themselves a wonderful reputation. Full/full fuel & a great personal service, mentioned a number of times on the forum.

http://alandaluscarhire.com/default.aspx

Like 0      
17 Dec 2010 7:43 PM by ajw Star rating in Aberdeen. 1088 posts Send private message

ajw´s avatar

I think that the best prices are generally found via Do You Spain.  I got my Easter 2011 hire for £6 per day which is great.  If they allocate you Goldcar (who tried to charge me an extra 60 euros for fully comp last year when it was supposed to be fully comp already) then you simply email DYS to say you don't want to use Goldcar and they will offer you another company.  I will NEVER use Goldcar again after that fiasco.  Arlene.

www.alhamagolfapartment.co.uk

Like 0      
17 Dec 2010 9:43 PM by Joe1949 Star rating in Manchester. 61 posts Send private message

Goldcar are not the problem -its the UK brokers who mis-sell the insurance on the web. I for one will never use Carspain.com or any broker linked to Cartrawler a Dublin based bunch of cowboys.. I just used Goldcar for a 2 week hire through Carspain & got  royally ripped off I then extended the hire at the airport myself when the Goldcar price and service was great and much more affordable.

Another thread covers the same issues. Take out excess insurance seperately..

This message was last edited by Joe1949 on 17/12/2010.

Like 0      
18 Dec 2010 11:18 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

As I said before find one good company and stick with them and they will look after you.

When I am doing business with anyone after a couple of deals I have a discussion and to the service standard I expect. But it's fair to say Spanish companies are more difficult to do deals with and that is tied into their history of Franco days and a very poor understanding of customer service just blank expressionless faces!

I negotiate on everything and always have but price is not everything and it's service that really counts so decide what really matters to you.

The internet in many ways is a double edge sword in that you can find "cheap" but not always servive/quality.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

La Tasa Anual Equivalente TAE? - 8 posts
where to buy safety/stairs gates for kids - 2 posts
Google Toolbar Translator - 2 posts
Key holding and cleaning on an ''as and when required'' basis ? - 2 posts
A few items needed! - 0 posts
Old Fool - 51 posts
Guardia Civil - 7 posts
EHIC - Changes to Procedures - 0 posts
fed up with spanish bank - 6 posts
Sotogrande Support Group for Depression/Anxiety - 0 posts
Can we afford to live in Spain - 9 posts
Moped ITV - 1 posts
Instant Access International Spanish office - closed down Feb 2009 - 1 posts
Finally found a copy of the highway code and set out below a rough translation: - 4 posts
Bank holiday - 2 posts
Driving to Gibraltar - 12 posts
Fiscal Residence - 4 posts
Sunbeds - 2 posts
breakdown recovery - 0 posts
Has the Spanish Property Market reached its bottom? - 11 posts
Guests left stranded at Almeria airport!! - 4 posts
Interesting article re the property market - 1 posts
La Yenka - 0 posts
Selling In Spain - Agents or not? - 5 posts
No Claims Certificate? - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 106

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x