Car hire under 21

Spain Airport Car Hire
Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Apr 2009 12:00 AM by dealse Star rating in Welwyn Hertfordshire.... 64 posts Send private message

dealse´s avatar

We will be staying at our apartment in Valle Del Este, just outside Mojacar in the summer. My 17 year old daughter is desperate to be able to drive. Does anyone know if its possible to hire a car for 2 weeks and allow my daughter who has under 12 months experience. She is a fantastic driver and trust her with my car everyday.

thanks

simon

Like 0      
27 Apr 2009 9:41 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Not possible.

Car hire firms have minimum age as 21 with some even 23  or 25 with minimum 12 months driving too.

Check them out. doyouspain for example says

'All drivers must produce a Full Driving Licence valid in the EU, held for a minimum of one year. The minimum age required is 21 years old. The upper age limit is 79 years.

Please note that where we use Atesa or Europcar Rent a Car as the supplier (e.g. Madrid, Barcelona and Bilbao) the minimum age is 23, holding the licence for a minimum of two years.'

This message was last edited by morerosado on 4/27/2009.

Like 0      
28 Apr 2009 10:51 AM by maylin Star rating in Andalucia and Hertfo.... 71 posts Send private message

Hello,

Morerosado is correct in as much as your daughter who is 17 will not be allowed to hire a car in Spain or indeed (I believe) drive there.

Unlike the UK, Spain, inline with many other European countries has an 18 year old limit for car drivers.

Seems a bit daft, I know, when kids as young as 12 belt around on mopeds with no licence etc.

I do, however, know that an 18 year old can hire a car. It is hard to find so so look around. I have done it in the past for my own son. It was however with me as another driver.

I believe Sixt is one company I dealt with and the one that advertises on this site.

However my dealings were a couple of years ago. Things do change and Morerosado may be completely correct.

Worth a 'google' though.

Good Luck.

Like 0      
28 Apr 2009 10:56 AM by dealse Star rating in Welwyn Hertfordshire.... 64 posts Send private message

dealse´s avatar

Thank you,

Very useful. We were thinking of driving from the UK so she can use the car but decided against that. I have asked a couple of people about the age of driving in spain and was told that if they have a full uk license and a car hire co rented the car ( at a price no doubt) then it would be ok.

I was hoping to find a local company( maybe family run) in Mojacar who understood that the parents would rent the car but occasional use ( to the beach etc) would be allowed for a 17 year old.

Thanks again to both for the reply.

Simon

Like 0      
28 Apr 2009 11:35 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Good morning Maylin & Simon

Sixt say in >>>> (click link)  Insurance and rental terms and conditions

Age Restrictions

In Spain, the following rules apply for the minimum age and possession of a driver's licence:
18 years/1 day for vehicles in groups MCMN, EBMR, ECMR, EDMR, CDMR, CLMR, CWMR, CVMR,
21 years/2 years for vehicles in groups IDMR, SDMR, SWMR, FDMR, FDAR, FWMR, FWAR, PDMR, PDAR, LDAR, IVMR, SVMR, FVMR, CTMR, ITMR,
25 years/3 years for vehicles in groups XDAR, PTMR, LTMR, XTAR, SSMR, XSAR, PFMR, XFAR.

And were you aware that Spanish DRINK/DRIVE LAWS say that for new drivers (i.e. one who passed the test within the last two years) the law is 0.01%, for everyone else you get an extra 0.04% making it a whopping 0.05% legal limit. The Spanish authorities are strict on that . TAKEN FROM HERE

This message was last edited by morerosado on 4/28/2009.

Like 0      
28 Apr 2009 12:04 PM by dealse Star rating in Welwyn Hertfordshire.... 64 posts Send private message

dealse´s avatar

Thank you Morerosado,

very useful, especially when it comes from someone holding a drink in their profile!

She is very good and does not drink at all, I also have a non drinking wife, so i make up for both of them.

Guess she will have to wait 1 more year.

Very useful site, i dint know that if caught in one country, it didnt count in another.... madness.

Thanks

Simon

Like 0      
28 Apr 2009 12:31 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Simon said 'Thank you Morerosado, very useful, especially when it comes from someone holding a drink in their profile!'

Difference is Simon, I don't drive ! I haven't a licence.

Like 0      
28 Apr 2009 12:40 PM by dealse Star rating in Welwyn Hertfordshire.... 64 posts Send private message

dealse´s avatar

From that, i assume you do enjoy some local libations...

Like 0      
28 Apr 2009 1:10 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Simon said   From that, i assume you do enjoy some local libations...

A libation (spondee in Greek) is a ritual pouring of a drink as an offering to a god apparently.  

Certainly I don't need to worry, Simon.

Like 0      
28 Apr 2009 3:59 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Just nipping out for a libation..............................................!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Buying a car in Spain - 7 posts
Toyota Yaris for Sale - 0 posts
Van or pick up with driver/labourer needed - 0 posts
Brilliant News folks - 2 posts
QUESTION FOR MARIA - 1 posts
Community Deeds - 5 posts
Happy story about agent and buying in Spain - 13 posts
Olvera, Cadiz information urgently required! - 7 posts
Anyone know a good place to buy a Beagle Pup - 7 posts
people carrier/mini bus required - 4 posts
certificate of non residence. - 13 posts
A week to go.....help with finding an Apartment - 3 posts
which car insurance post again - 16 posts
Hi again from Lisa at Spectrum FM - Still looking for people to interview. - 7 posts
mortgage let down - 8 posts
Bosque de las Lomas 2 ~ Orihuela - 14 posts
future owner - 16 posts
Jet 2 Flights 99p Leeds Bradford to Murcia - 2 posts
Long-term-parking in Alicante or ?? - 5 posts
FURNITURE SCAM - 0 posts
Electrical Tarrifs. - 0 posts
BMI flight cancellation. Looking for alternatives please. - 4 posts
I this how I do it? Does my post look good in this? - 4 posts
A BIG THANK YOU ! To Sharon Wyndham and Smiley. - 5 posts
Information on Financial advisors in Spain - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x