mortgage let down

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Apr 2009 12:00 AM by janeicely Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Wondered if anyone else has been in this situation?  Sure they have.

Almost due to complete on purchase of apartment in Mallorca.  For past year bank (Santander) assured me best way was to find property at good price with higher valuation to secure funds I needed.  In bank 2 weeks ago, and over phone call to Madrid again assured of 60% of valuation price.  Now, at last minute told only 60% of purchase price.  one 70,000. one 140,000 so big difference. Took the risk and as family connection, have already refurbed and paid out on apartment, so don't want to lose out on this but massive shortfall now.  Lots of websites still say put valuation price to lender to get maximum funds, but are banks not doing LTV anymore.  Is it just purchase.  Anyone got round this a different way?  Very frustrating, as income no problem to cover this mortgage (as bank agree).

Jane 

Like 0      
26 Apr 2009 10:08 AM by sharonw Star rating in Coin, Malaga. 281 posts Send private message

sharonw´s avatar

Hi Jane,

Very few lenders are now doing LTV, with most looking at the lower of valuation or purchase price.  There are still a couple of lenders offering against LTV and rate margins are from +1.4 - +2 over annual Euribor, depending on if you are looking for an Interest Only element.   Have you had a valuation done IRO €235k?   it is possible that an alternative lender may accept this, saving on further valuation fees!

If you prefer to stay with Santander is it an option for you fund the difference from the UK, e.g. against your property?

Regards

Sharon

sharon@tmasspain.com

www.themortgageservicegroup.com

Like 0      
07 May 2009 1:52 PM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

You should still be able to achieve upto 70% of lower of value or purchase price if this would help?

Nobody plans to fail, many fail to plan, sadly the result is the same.

Like 0      
14 May 2009 2:14 PM by Rose FP Star rating in Costa Almeria. 20 posts Send private message

Hi Jane.

Sorry I am coming in on this one relatively late!

There are lenders that are still comparatively aggressive in comparison to what you have been offered.

For example, one offers 60% LTV BUT no more than 90% of the Contract price (LTC).

Or another, 70% LTV with 80% LTC.

Mortgages based on valuation alone have gone by the by now!

Regards

Mark M

Like 0      
14 May 2009 4:31 PM by tonypullicino Star rating. 73 posts Send private message

Hi All

As we seem to have some level headed financial people connected to this thread , can somebody answer my question please.

Have just been offered a property in a apart-hotel complex, have the 30% Deposit of original valuation,  what is the Banks view on Mortgages for these properties?

Or will they only lend on Todays valuation

Can I still get interest only Mortgage in Spain?

Thanks Tony

Like 0      
14 May 2009 5:07 PM by sharonw Star rating in Coin, Malaga. 281 posts Send private message

sharonw´s avatar

Hi Tony,

Banks will lend on todays market trend if LTV, max 60% other than that you are looking at a max 70% of the lower contract purchase price / valuation.    Not sure what stage you are at but look out for the IVA at possibly 16% as apart-hotels can be deemed to be commercial.   Some banks will not entertain these properties, for the very same reason. 

Interest Only is available;   up to 5 years, depending on lender - for these property types.

Regards

Sharon

sharon@tmasspain.com

www.themortgageservicegroup.com

Like 0      
14 May 2009 5:39 PM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

Tony

location is also coming into play, as some lenders are not keen on certain areas this is due to their current mortgage book being potentially "overbalanced" re risk status of potential /possible defaulters.

Your choice of lenders is also limited thus allowing them to incorporate alrger costs etc

My main concerns with aparthotels which we have looked at both abroad and in the UK for investors / pension trustees are

a) what percentage of the hotel rooms has or is to be sold-as if it were say only 70% surely the hotel will want to rent out its 30% first and formost (so you need to see the rental contract prior to purchasing)

b) ongoing maintenance costs -as much like timeshare years ago the maintenace costs could exceed the rental yield.

good luck

Nobody plans to fail, many fail to plan, sadly the result is the same.

Like 0      
14 May 2009 5:58 PM by Rose FP Star rating in Costa Almeria. 20 posts Send private message

I would agree with Advisor on this one!

In this market of all markets, i) I would tend to steer clear of any property where I cannot control my own destiny (costs, ownership) and ii) arranging financing is going to be difficult, especially at the higher end of Loan To Value.

Like 0      
19 May 2009 2:01 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Ditto - significant risk element with Aparthotels - and generally lenders dont like them which should tell you a great deal

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Bosque de las Lomas 2 ~ Orihuela - 14 posts
future owner - 16 posts
Jet 2 Flights 99p Leeds Bradford to Murcia - 2 posts
Long-term-parking in Alicante or ?? - 5 posts
FURNITURE SCAM - 0 posts
Electrical Tarrifs. - 0 posts
BMI flight cancellation. Looking for alternatives please. - 4 posts
I this how I do it? Does my post look good in this? - 4 posts
A BIG THANK YOU ! To Sharon Wyndham and Smiley. - 5 posts
Information on Financial advisors in Spain - 1 posts
Driving updates and local Info - 1 posts
Free Information?? - 1 posts
Non Resident Tax Returns - 46 posts
A week in Almoradi - any must see's or do's in the surrounding area? - 6 posts
British women are the fattest in Europe - 4 posts
Cot Wanted - 0 posts
Have a look at this, just click on the airport & check flights, ingenious. - 0 posts
murica airport help please - 3 posts
Our AGM is June 1st: How do I go about 'suggesting' we have a new President ? - 8 posts
MUSTANG GT FOR SALE - 0 posts
Murcia Nightlife - 3 posts
Alcaucin - Illegal land development - 0 posts
What's for dinner tonight? - 3 posts
Free Beer - FREE car derived van (prefect runner) or it's being SCRAPPED :( - 2 posts
getting a Sky account via UK.......... - 20 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x