I'm frustrated by my inablity to learn Spanish

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Mar 2011 9:31 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

Is there any hope for the non-drinkers amongst us???

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
18 Mar 2011 3:43 PM by alant Star rating in Alto Guadiato, North.... 10 posts Send private message

Hi Costa Chris,
A little story.
On our last holiday in Spain before coming to live here we paled up with a couple from York and after the holiday we kept in touch. The reason we paled up was that Loll had sufficient Spanish to have a little conversation with driver of the transfer bus.
When we moved to the Almanzora valley in Almeria (we where if not the first to live in the area we where defiantly in the first five) They came to see us whilst on holiday in Benidorm. Of course we took them to the local bar (in 1992 a third of a litre bottle of Heninger cost 13 duros, 65 pesetas). When we arrive home I asked Loll what he thought of our typical Spanish local and did he understand the local Andalucians? To which he replied, ”not a word but I understood your Spanish because you speak it with a South Yorkshire accent”.

Like 0      
15 Oct 2013 5:39 AM by MichaelVisser Star rating in California. 9 posts Send private message

No need to panic. Fortunately there are many language learning software programs available that can really help you to get out of this trouble. And the best part is that you can do all these at your own home comfort.

Like 0      
15 Oct 2013 1:26 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

This is an old thread but still relevant.   I cannot emphasise enough how much more you get out of Spain if you speak Spanish.   I studied with the Open University (can study anywhere but now VERY expensive like all UK degree courses) and then Cervantes - which you can do on line.   Speaking personally - I had to have a course to follow.  Just left to myself, I would always just do the minimum so that is the advice I would give anyone.   Find a course, don't expect it to be easy (in spite of common assumptions you will not simply absorb the language by some sort of osmosis), and stick to it!!  It is a challenge in Andalucia, but your ear will tune in. 

Valdrá la pena.  

Like 0      
19 Dec 2013 8:32 AM by clari Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Against forum rules **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 12/20/2013 6:23:00 PM.

Like 0      
02 Oct 2014 11:33 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Just came across this, and thought it worth sharing: http://www.babbel.com/magazine/favorite-spanish-words?slc=engmag-a15-info-favoritespanishwords-ob

Just for fun!

This message was last edited by Roberto on 02/10/2014.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Jun 2015 8:54 PM by ChrisM4 Star rating in Berkshire. 33 posts Send private message

Team GB/Linguaphone: I agree.  I've used different tools, including the expensive Rosetta Stone, and find Linguaphone the best quality and most thorough - at a fraction of the price.

I also agree with other posts - be realistic/pragmatic, and be happy with communicating.  That alone is a huge step forward.

Many Brits I bump into here in England aren't speaking quality English...

There are plenty of free, online tools, including YouTube and others.  I find listening to Spanish news very useful from an immersion perspective.  I understand 10% of what's being said at this stage, but the tones and accent are invaluable.

Like 0      
01 Jul 2015 1:15 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar

I was going to suggest the Michel Thomas CDs and then saw that you have them!  I credit him with my ability to communicate before arriving here, and I credit about 3000 Spanish people who have helped me in large and small ways for reaching the level I have now (still trying to improve all the time though).  A good one-to-one intercambio partner is a joy, once found.  Try some intercambio groups, but the conversation is usually quite superficial so try and find someone there who you hit it off with, and fix one-to-one weekly meetings.  If it's of any interest, I finish most of my blog posts with a "language point" which may help!

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
04 Jul 2015 4:31 PM by ChrisM4 Star rating in Berkshire. 33 posts Send private message

Tamara's reply makes an extremely valuable point: that learning languages isn't facilitated by one method/tool.  It's a multi-faceted thing, which has the added benefit of keeping the process interesting and varied.  Don't lose the sense of fun - if it becomes a chore, it won't happen.

This message was last edited by ChrisM4 on 04/07/2015.

Like 0      
23 Jul 2015 10:15 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar

For the best value, I enrolled at the Escuela Oficial de Idiomas - there are schools in all the big cities and a lot of larger towns too.  It is state-run and heavily subsidised - I'm doing the second year of B2, and the whole acadmic year costs me 50€ !!!

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
24 Jul 2015 3:04 PM by SeñoraChang Star rating in UK (at present). 6 posts Send private message

SeñoraChang´s avatar

Tamara, I second the official schools - they are great value and very professional. Pretty much all the universities have one attached. One thing I would add is that to anyone in the UK (or elsewhere) even just beginning to *think* about relocating to Spain is start learning Spanish now, and don't stop, just keep at it and join an intercambio/language-exchange group to get real-world practice.

Check out the Instituto Cervantes. They are a government run cultural/language organisation with offices in most foreign capitals and secondary cities, and run excellent and professional language courses, including online with their AVE programme, as well as intensive (5 lessons/week) semi-intensive (2-3 lessons/week)  and evening/weekend courses. In London, if you sign up for their courses, you also get access to their library which has a slew of materials to practice with and they also run language-exchange groups and cultural events (Spanish film events etc) which give you more practice on something interesting.

The downside is as they are outside of Spain itself, they aren't subsidised, but if you are looking to start a new life in Spain, throwing a bit of money at good language tutition is a relatively small sum in the scheme of things, and it really is an investment in your future quality of life, work prospects etc.

Like 0      
24 Jul 2015 6:42 PM by ChrisM4 Star rating in Berkshire. 33 posts Send private message

For those on a budget, geographically or time-constrained (I work daft hours) I've discovered having a number of exchange partners to Skype with is proving very helpful.  Many speak English as badly as I speak Spanish, so we're both stretcched on each session.  By having five, the odds of finding one of them online when I find the time is much higher.  It suits all parties, as that's the expectation when agreeing to exchange.  On the assumption it's ok to plug the website, I use Conversation Exchange.  And its free!

This message was last edited by ChrisM4 on 24/07/2015.

This message was last edited by ChrisM4 on 24/07/2015.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Ryanair to drop check in desks by end of year? - 8 posts
golf starter kits - bargain - 0 posts
buying a repossesion - 7 posts
NIE Application in Manchester - 3 posts
Football fans on the Costa Blanca - 0 posts
internet connection - 12 posts
Rattan furniture - 6 posts
Van collecting in Scotland 1st March. - 0 posts
Watch your credit card transactions abroad!! - 13 posts
swop bike for van - 0 posts
Transfer Mortgage - 2 posts
Swimming Pool - 8 posts
Sunset Golf La Resina Golf and Country Club near Estepona - Investment purchase - 2 posts
UK market - 4 posts
nottingham buyers? - 0 posts
Cajasur - definitely not a bank I would recommend, especially in Alora - can you help? - 3 posts
Disposing of a RHD van in Spain - is this possible? - 15 posts
Property Management - 1 posts
GEORGEKAY - 3 posts
Ready Rental Property - 15 posts
WANTED Wooden Childs Playpen - 0 posts
Problem with two properties in Spain - 2 posts
INFO ON GRANADA - HOTELS AND MUST SEE PLACES TO GO OR NOT TO GO - 6 posts
Shared agency for your data base - 0 posts
PALMERA PROPERTIES - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 53

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x