Done, dusted, contracts exchanged....

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Feb 2009 12:00 AM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

YIPEEEEEE 

All the nail-biting bit is done and we can get on our way. We're moving out on Friday. We'll be on the boat on 4th March! We'll be in Spain just in time to enjoy the spring and summer although we only just get there and I've got to go back to defend an employment tribunal (18th March). Poor Alan will be left with nothing to do (yes, in his dreams!!!!!)

Irene

Like 0      
04 Feb 2009 1:22 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I'm really delighted for you both, Irene.  

Can I assume you'll be online there from your property or will you need to be relying initially on internet cafes as, as we've discussed, we are going to meet up asap & we're over March 1- 25 so looks promising.

Safe journey.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 2/4/2009.

Like 0      
04 Feb 2009 1:48 PM by buzylizzie Star rating in Gibraltar, Manilva a.... 192 posts Send private message

buzylizzie´s avatar

Well done Irene & Alan

I hope you enjoy your journey, and I wish you lots of happiness in your new home

Like 0      
04 Feb 2009 7:09 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Thanks ladies

Yes, we will eventually be on line - can't be doing with internet cafe's, besides I might lose work if I'm not connected to the internet - I'm still going to be doing some consultancy work remotely, so I get the best of both worlds!

I've just been trying out my new toy - one of those steam floor cleaners. I thought as we have all tiled floors it might be a good investment, particularly as it doesn't require detergent. Anyway, I've just done our laminate floor and it's come up a treat. I'm off to try it out on the kitchen tiles.

The good thing is that it means I won't be wheezing while I'm cleaning (I have mild asthma).

G'night

Irene

Like 0      
04 Feb 2009 8:42 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Well done Irene and Alan,

Now your exciting life begins hope all goes well for you in the future.

Take care Pat

Like 0      
05 Feb 2009 5:14 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Best of my wishes to you both.

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
09 Feb 2009 7:58 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar

Irene can you report back on how good it is onthe spanish tiles as my wife wnats one

Like 0      
09 Feb 2009 8:14 PM by jules1 Star rating in St Ives, Cambridgesh.... 264 posts Send private message

jules1´s avatar

All the best for your new life in Spain Irene and Alan; fulfil all your dreams!

Julia

Like 0      
18 Feb 2009 12:27 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Thanks for all the good wishes.

Re the steam cleaner: I tried it out on my tiled floor here before shipping it and it worked a treat. However, I will let you know how it performs in Spain.

Irene

Like 0      
21 Feb 2009 7:45 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Three more working days - I finish on Thursday and Alan does his last coaching session on Wednesday. There'll be tears then though because it's a children's badminton session and they're not happy about him going.

We're rushing around trying to visit family before we depart.

We're in the process of buying a small(er) house in the UK (Havant) which we're going to rent out. This will give us a little bit of an income and is safer than the banks(!) and also it's a security blanket should we decide to return to the UK (I can't see that happening though).

Any tips for the journey from Bilbao to Formentera will be gratefully welcomed. I'll be navigating, along with my trusty Garmin ladyfriend, but that definitely doesn't mean we won't get lost - if we don't take at least a dozen wrong turns, then I'm not up to my usual standard.

Irene

Like 0      
22 Feb 2009 11:29 AM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

Hi to both of you,

For some reason Gloria normally does the replies to you, but on this esteemed occasion, she has decided that a wiser head (in my dreams) would be best.  We made the trip via Bilbao in January last year and it turned out to be a nightmare journey.  Storms in the Channel / Biscay delayed the incoming Pride of Bilbao for several hours and we spent from 21.00 to 04.00 waiting on the storm lashed quayside to board.  The facilities at Portsmouth are pretty dire (although 100% better than Bilbao), but we eventually set off into a stormy channel run.  Apart from the wild ride, the boat trip is BORING!  take plenty of reading matter.  I read 2 books on the journey. This meant a long delay in reaching Bilbao and instead of a nice trip across Spain in daylight, we were in the dark by the time we approached Madrid.  Eventually reaching Formentera at 23.00.

Advice includes:

Bilbao dockside is confusing and the sign to the main road is at the turnoff instead of well before it.

Bilbao ring road is very busy and its easy to miss your turnoff south. We missed our turning on to the Motorway and ended up with a long ride around Burgos before we could get back on and then in the wrong direction as the slip road was only in the Bilbao direction requiring a turnaround at the next exit.

We stayed on the Motorways for the remainder of the journey and had no problems, except that as you get south of Madrid the filling stations tend to close at about 21.00.

We use Tom Tom and it was invaluable taking us around the complex Madrid ring roads with a minimum of fuss and guided us flawlessly to our front door.

On the way back we made an overnight stop short of Bilbao and made sure the whole journey was in daylight, to be recommended!

Anyhow, we hope that your trip is smooth and wish you all the best in your new life.  We had hoped to drive out (via Dover) at the end of March, but an excess of air miles won the day and we are flying out on the 31st for a month, so will undoubtedly see you there sometime.

Mike & Gloria

PS No doubt Gloria will PM you if I have got anything wrong.

Like 0      
22 Feb 2009 9:23 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Thanks for that Mike. Let's hope the waters are less choppy for us.

I'll pass on the driving info to Alan - we'll probably still get it wrong though because I'm navigating!

See you when you're over!

Regards

Irene

Like 0      
22 Feb 2009 11:47 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi irene and alan safe journey to your new home and i will be looking forword to reading your post when your there bye irene

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Looking for a good british lawyer - 21 posts
For Sale - 0 posts
New TV service - 2 posts
Register to pay taxes - 17 posts
More Siesta Show - 8 posts
A question for Maria, Faults with new property. Any advice please - 4 posts
British Jobs for British Workers are you seeing Descrimination in Spain - 11 posts
Ryanair to charge £30 if duty free won't fit in hand baggage - 10 posts
Air conditioning units for sale - 2 posts
Nearly new fridge freezer for sale - 2 posts
New Single headboards for sale - 2 posts
Can Movistar switch off your mobile service if you don't use it a lot ? - 23 posts
Anyone tried 'Rent to Buy'? - 5 posts
Return money with an expired Bank Guarantee - 6 posts
EOS Property for sale direct site - Obsolete - 4 posts
Lisa Stych - 1 posts
Mortgage payment freeze: Over 35 Spanish credit institutions have signed an agreement ! - 2 posts
Los Pasos: Rojales (Costa Blanca) childrens nursery - 0 posts
Checking Car for Embargos etc - 3 posts
Let it Snow, let it snow, let it snow.................. - 34 posts
Spanish equivalent of NHBC - 3 posts
Iain - 4 posts
Community Meeting - 2 posts
dog grooming - 3 posts
Community meeting - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x