Ryanair to charge £30 if duty free won't fit in hand baggage

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Feb 2009 12:00 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Ryanair have introduced a £30 surcharge if you have Duty Free that will not fit into your hand luggage.

READ THE GUARDIAN

Like 0      
03 Feb 2009 6:58 PM by LAM1963 Star rating in Lincolnshire, Fortun.... 152 posts Send private message

LAM1963´s avatar

With the bad exchange rate and the cost of things abroad i thinks they may have shot themselves in the foot this time

Like 0      
03 Feb 2009 7:05 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Bit harsh isn't it. I really try and avoid Ryanair, they are the worst airline I have ever flown with (excluding Libyan Arab that is!) but no matter how hard I try it still comes to the fact my travelling is so much cheaper and convenient  with them. In a couple of weeks I am flying from L'pool to Stockholm Skavsta ,return, with one suitcase.  My final destination is Norkopping about one hour from the airport, a taxi will cost about £80 each way (the buses aren't an option as I'd have to wait 3 hours for one) SAS want £320 return to Norkopping which includes a 9 hour wait in Copenhagen. Ryanair is £87, so even with taxi costs I am still saving and don't have to get 2 flights and hang around an airport for 9 hours, which nice as Copenhagen airport is 9 hours is a bit too much!

Regards, Poppyseed

This message was last edited by Poppyseed on 2/3/2009.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
03 Feb 2009 7:06 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

It's quite well known that Ryanair insist you only have one piece of hand baggage these days though so why don't passengers ensure they leave enough room in their bag to take account of the booze they buy at the airport ?

I think it's a problem for those who don't travel regularly though & who don't read forums. Ryanair are always putting announcements out at Murcia about only taking one piece through so if people buy booze & find it won't fit in their only piece then it's not really Ryanair's fault. Perhaps they should just confiscate the booze.  

Like 0      
03 Feb 2009 8:15 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Probably a stupid question but...playing Devil's Advocate...

Why do people insist on buying 'duty free' at the airport anyway...?

It isn't  'duty free' within the EU and fags and booze are normally a sight cheaper at the local supermarket anyway...

And on the subject do Ryanair actually fly anywhere where duty free goods are available?

I normally wouldn't support anything that Ryanair are responsible for, but there is a long standing safety implication involved with bottlesof highly flammable booze in overhead bins, but if this action prevents someone being bashed on the head by a bottle when the bin is opened it's fine by me.

Right action but wrong reason; in this case is just another way of screwing the punter. One item of hand baggage means just that, anything more is just another revenue earner, especially in their book.

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
03 Feb 2009 10:02 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

I am wondering whether it's also to get boarding completed more quickly. Have you ever been behind someone with numerous bags who block the aisle while they faff and fart around loading everything away and taking up all the overhead bin space completely oblivious to everyone else? I have..........

Regards, Poppyseed

Poppyseed

Like 0      
03 Feb 2009 11:01 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Faff and fart Poppyseed  Surely not !  (I know exactly what you mean though).

Like 0      
04 Feb 2009 7:51 AM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar

It really comes down to the staff at the gate. I usually get to the airport early and then wander around. One day I got there too early so watched a bunch of Ryan Air and Easy Jet flights load. One gate the staff were being real asses, and made every single person measure there carry on and several people were denied boarding, after much drama the staff finally relented and let them go. Next gate everyone had to measure thier bags but no one was watching so it didn't matter. Third gate, no body measured anything.

The real problem is at check in, had family visiting and they flew Frankfurt Hahn Madrid and they got nailed, along with a ton of other people, on over weight baggage. It was a real problem as they flew in from Canada spent a few days in Germany before flying to see us, so they hadn't gotten rid of the ton of stuff we wanted, plus gifts from family for us. So they were way overweight. Ended up buying two backpacks and scrambled to repack everything, still cost them like 100€ to board.

Afterwards I did some checking and found out there are loads of scheduled airlines which fly Frankfurt Madrid, while the cost is higher the end cost works out the same.

Decided after all I don't like Spanish TV, that is having compared both.

Like 0      
04 Feb 2009 3:46 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar

Also would you want to give  £30 to the staff at the boarding gate I know I wouldn't

Like 0      
10 Feb 2009 8:50 PM by Stronge Star rating. 26 posts Send private message

I regularly travel from Dublin to Malaga with Ryan Air.  I normally just take a small "wheely" case and up to this before I got on the plane I put my book, bottle of water, glasses and sandwich in a plastic bag and carried it on board so that I could just put up my case and I did not delay anyone taking stuff out of my bag. With the new rules I can no longer carry on this plastic bag so before I put up my case I have to open it and take out my plastic bag plus some money to purchase tea etc on board so I feel I am holding up people who are trying to pass down through the cabin where as before I was sitting in my seat almost immediately.

Like 0      
10 Feb 2009 8:57 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar

Stronge I think in your case they won't charge it is more for the people who buy 3 bottles of wine etc

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Air conditioning units for sale - 2 posts
Nearly new fridge freezer for sale - 2 posts
New Single headboards for sale - 2 posts
Can Movistar switch off your mobile service if you don't use it a lot ? - 23 posts
Anyone tried 'Rent to Buy'? - 5 posts
Return money with an expired Bank Guarantee - 6 posts
EOS Property for sale direct site - Obsolete - 4 posts
Lisa Stych - 1 posts
Mortgage payment freeze: Over 35 Spanish credit institutions have signed an agreement ! - 2 posts
Los Pasos: Rojales (Costa Blanca) childrens nursery - 0 posts
Checking Car for Embargos etc - 3 posts
Let it Snow, let it snow, let it snow.................. - 34 posts
Spanish equivalent of NHBC - 3 posts
Iain - 4 posts
Community Meeting - 2 posts
dog grooming - 3 posts
Community meeting - 4 posts
reputation of lawyers in spain - 7 posts
so many charges and taxes - 4 posts
Start my New Job Today - 15 posts
landscaper of any theme ask me questions - 0 posts
Are you having trouble contacting your property manger on Costa del Sol? - 0 posts
What is the most cost effective way for moving your furniture to Spain from the UK. - 13 posts
What is the most cost effective way for moving your furniture to Spain from the UK. - 6 posts
Dealing with funerals in UK and living in Spain - 17 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x