Let it Snow, let it snow, let it snow..................

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Feb 2009 12:00 AM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

This is the scene from my kitchen door at 16.11 hrs today!!

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!      

And there's more to come !!!!!!!!!!!!!!      

Like 0      
02 Feb 2009 5:19 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

OMG, Sandra, that's so lovely!! And so bloody cold looking!  I'm shivering just looking at it!!  And we're shrivelling up here at 14c low!!  Where are those thermals????

Like 0      
02 Feb 2009 5:26 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

It seems we have a bit more snow here Sandra, could not even open back door it was piled up.  Put my boots on to put some more nuts our for the bird's and the squirrels have been nicking them, plus half a coconut filled with fat and nuts. Will not be doing that again it was freezing.

Children all of school and council's all closed. Sounds about right country at a standstill.

Pat

This message was last edited by Pat and Roy on 2/2/2009.

Like 0      
02 Feb 2009 5:54 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

We've had a small amount, nothing much really but it's incredibly cold. OH has brushed off what was on the drive. We're on a slope so he doesn't want it to ice over or he'll be sliding down it to road.

Our bird bath was frozen earlier so I poured boiling water into it as a lone blackbird sat in our apple tree wondering why he couldn't have his usual drink & bath.

Like 0      
02 Feb 2009 6:50 PM by Jet48 Star rating in Estepona / Great Yar.... 106 posts Send private message

Jet48´s avatar

And there was me wondering today if anyone was going to comment on the weather in the UK today. the only reference I found to the weather was Justin on The Siesta Show telling us about the circus that blew away in Estepona, LOL.

Bob

In a freezing Gt.Yarmouth

Like 0      
02 Feb 2009 8:03 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

It's started snowing again here!!  Luckily, earlier today the cars were covered, but it melted again.  Looking at the weather forecast for around here, the best day this week is going to be Wednesday!  It looks as if it's going to be cold by clear that dy - and then start again!! 

At this moment I'm questioning the title "Sunny Clacton"!!  Must have been a spin doctor at work!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
02 Feb 2009 8:58 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

8 inches of the stuff (non drifting) here on the hills in Leicestershire and snowing again.  About 3 or 4 inches of the stuff in Leicester itself and snowed really badly this afternoon.

Shame is, people seem to have forgotten how to drive when it gets like this.  OK on the country roads but the main roads were shocking.  People seem to think driving at 5 mph in 1st gear and hitting the brakes is the way to drive.  Use your gears, people.  Drive in the highest gear possible and don't touch your brakes.  Left work early at 4 pm and it took 50 minutes to go 2 miles on city roads.  One driver in front of me at the old 5mph in 1st probably wondered why they couldn't get up a little hill and wheels kept slipping.  Flights from East Mids cancelled this morning but seemed to be OK from just before lunchtime although most of them are delayed by an hour or so.  Hope it clears up for my flight out on Saturday.  Oh, and it's flippin' freezin'.  Felt sorry for the poor cat who disappeared into the snow at the back this morning.  Now she's refusing to go out but I'm going to kick her out in a minute.

Like 0      
03 Feb 2009 12:04 AM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Well, I'm already for work tomorrow......

Like 0      
03 Feb 2009 5:49 AM by pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

pilgrim´s avatar

So much for that jobsworthy, who was quoted in a previous thread as saying that "we should not get the winter fuel allowance because we are basking in sunshine all the year round" or words to that effect!!!

I´ll gladly show him my double crutch thermals, if he wishes!!

pilgrim

Like 0      
03 Feb 2009 10:42 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

As some know my husband, Chris, took early retirement last March but returned to work last week after his firm contacted him because they hadn't replaced him, they are currently inundated with work & he was the obvious choice. They're paying him contractors rates, almost double what he left on so this was a golden opportunity. (He misses his work colleagues, I know).

Last night we have such a downfall of the white stuff but 7am he brushed all the loose snow from the drive, opened the garage & backed the car out. (That was after we had 'words' after I, supposedly, picked up a virus from an infected site that I was looking at in the early hours as I was updating my blog & wanted a certain smiley for it ).

Now ... you have to picture the scene, ok ? Our drive's on a slight slope  & the road is also on a slope.  When we get to the end of the road THAT is quite a hill we turn onto.  Anyway, OH backs the car out with me watching him. He puts the brake on & goes to close the garage door, which is out of my line of sight. I know he's not in the car so, when I see the car going off down the drive all on its own, I get concerned.  I opened the bedroom window &, like a demented fishwife, I screamed 'C-h-r-i-s, the C---A---R !!!!!'  Then Chris comes into my view & he's trying to hang onto the front of the car & it looked like he was pushing it, although obviously he wasn't !!

Thankfully, the guy across the road who parks on the opposite side of the road to us had parked his white van further down the road than he usually does or our car would've slammed into it. As there was so much snow on the road that the few cars using it today hadn't flattened the car actually stopped by the time it got to the curb on the other side although it had managed to go in a curve towards the neighbours van. I was in shock. I screamed 'you're NOT going to work today !' I guess he had pretty much decided that for himself so we're just chilling out (lol, CHILLING out) & about to put snow scenes on the PC & may show you these later on.

Like 0      
03 Feb 2009 12:21 PM by Jet48 Star rating in Estepona / Great Yar.... 106 posts Send private message

Jet48´s avatar

Shame you didn't have the video cam on More, you could have been in for £250 from You've been Framed, LOL

Bob

Great Yarmouth

Like 0      
03 Feb 2009 12:33 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Bob, the look on my face would've warranted an award if put on Youtube or You've Been Framed. Boy, it was scary stuff watching our wonderful car do its own thing. I tell you I was stressed with a capital 'S'. Thank goodness no one else was around or serious damage could've been done. I saw one in the car park nearby do the same years ago & it collided with parked cars.

Like 0      
03 Feb 2009 12:52 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Hi all

had an 'interesting' cycle home from work yesterday. What a fabulous sight though in the countryside, everything coated white.  Got home and had a really good snowball fight with my twelve year old son. Great to see kids down the street building snowmen, snowballing and enjoying themselves, and away from a computer!. Might shut up shop early today and take kids sledging as their school is shut.  It was -7 when i left for work, but thawing a bit now.

Like 0      
03 Feb 2009 1:44 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

Yes Goodstitch, a little bit of snow brings out the child in all of us.  

The overnight snow   settled on the hedge   like an over-generous dollop of icing but is gradually melting away now. For which I'm thankful as I never could stand up in it.

Still, the kids are having  a great time and making the best of their day off school. The local BMX park  is throng with sledgers and, as you pointed out, it 's great to see them away from their computers. Most of all it's lovely to see them  being active and laughing, and really enjoying themselves. 

Like 0      
03 Feb 2009 6:13 PM by jmtwsm Star rating in Sabinillas CDS. 191 posts Send private message

jmtwsm´s avatar

I can sympathise with Chris as he was a victim of some particularly slippery Someret snow that claimed me last night.   Turning into my road quite slowly, the car decided that straight on into the opposite kerb was the best option, resulting in a wrecked wheel, damaged steering arms and possible drive shaft damage.  An hour later, a taxi hit the kerb on the next bend outside our house where my car is normally parked. 

On a positive note, the snow was so lovely last night that we all went with our dogs for a nice walk in it at 10.30pm !

Jon

Like 0      
03 Feb 2009 6:38 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Jon

Oh, sorry to hear about your car. It was rather slippery on our road. Chris walked round to see the state of the hill we turn out of our road onto (Anson Road) & he said it hadn't been gritted / salted & it's the bus route too.

I put my foot down with a heavy hand or is it my hand down with a heavy foot ?  & told him straight, ring work & say

Like 0      
03 Feb 2009 11:08 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Snow scenes taken from our upstairs. Sun was just rising. Camera didn't know what to focus on, sorry.

OH hung out the open window  once the sun came out. Just getting used to the camera, likely on incorrect setting.

Like 0      
04 Feb 2009 7:02 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

I was going to start a new thread:  Snow in UK boosts Spanish economy .  John found this on the BBC website: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7870015.stm. Read down and you will see what I mean.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
04 Feb 2009 7:02 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

I was going to start a new thread:  Snow in UK boosts Spanish economy .  John found this on the BBC website: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7870015.stm. Read down and you will see what I mean.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
04 Feb 2009 7:12 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Salt MINES ?  I know that Torrevieja to Santa Pola has piles of it standing alongside the N332.

One salt supplier, Cleveland Potash Limited in Saltburn, Cleveland, told the BBC it had stepped up salt mining and planned to import 40,000 tonnes of salt from a mine in Spain.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spanish equivalent of NHBC - 3 posts
Iain - 4 posts
Community Meeting - 2 posts
dog grooming - 3 posts
Community meeting - 4 posts
reputation of lawyers in spain - 7 posts
so many charges and taxes - 4 posts
Start my New Job Today - 15 posts
landscaper of any theme ask me questions - 0 posts
Are you having trouble contacting your property manger on Costa del Sol? - 0 posts
What is the most cost effective way for moving your furniture to Spain from the UK. - 13 posts
What is the most cost effective way for moving your furniture to Spain from the UK. - 6 posts
Dealing with funerals in UK and living in Spain - 17 posts
Successfully sued a builder for not providing facilities promised? - 0 posts
Furniture fitters (Costa Blanca area) - 1 posts
Any help would be appreciated. - 3 posts
Mazarron Country Club - 9 posts
Unable to obtain mortgage! - 14 posts
JUSTIN: Advice sought re Googling for EOS (& others) .. may harm my PC (WOT ?!?) - 17 posts
JUSTIN: Search facility - 2 posts
Fortuna Golf, Mercia. - 3 posts
Apartment rental wanted - 2 posts
Traditional Spanish bbq Heredades - 0 posts
Damp in apartments - 2 posts
MARIA - Can you or anybody else offer ANY advice please. - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 35

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x