cancer treatment -best hospitals? plus Funerals

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Jan 2009 12:00 AM by gravitatingsouth Star rating in wales. 58 posts Send private message

ok, sounds depressing I know but..... if we're gunna go, well statistics say 1 in 3 get cancer so......

has anyone done research into where in :

Murcia, Costa Calida region  AND Costa de la Luz (Aymonte/Huleva) regions have cancer treatment as good as in the private sector in the UK - chemo/radio etc.

Sorry about the question, but fore warned is fore armed -  bit like living on an island in the pacific and wishing when you were ill you'd lived in a hospital catchment area ........ if you follow the direction of my question.

No-one wants to think about things like this, but to be realistic you do no matter how unpleasant.

Finally,

what happens re funerals as well, anyone had to deal with a deceased ?

Like 0      
27 Jan 2009 3:32 PM by gravitatingsouth Star rating in wales. 58 posts Send private message

once again I am sorry in advance if these delicate questions offend somebody, it is not my intention to do so, all  I am seeking is the knowledge from those that may have or maybe dealing with such things.

Is a UK Living Will valid in spain. By that I mean, if I have opted to be allowed to die in a "living will " if I am terminal, will that Will be seen as legal in Spain or must I return to the UK for it to be carried out.

When somone dies can they be (hate saying this next word as it seems so cold but cant think of another word, so sorry) shipped back home to be buried or do they have to be cremated first in spain and then their ashes brought back to the uk.

Re cancer treatments, does spain offer similar services as per MacMillan Nurses. Are there support groups etc where your final days can be at home and treatment carried out there or does one have to be admitted to hospital.

Yes I know these are sad questions but I cannot ignore the fact that all good things come to an end,and though death comes to us all, I would like to 'plan' in advance to save my family further heartache if my genetic makeup has such paths mapped out for me.

Again, I am sorry for this subject, but I need to know while I am able to deal with it in advance to alleviate those in grief on my passing.

For those these questions offend, please accept it when I say from the heart, if you are or know someone dealing with such issues you have my deepest prayers.

Like 0      
27 Jan 2009 4:41 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

When somone dies can they be (hate saying this next word as it seems so cold but cant think of another word, so sorry) shipped back home to be buried or do they have to be cremated first in spain and then their ashes brought back to the uk.

My friend was in Majorca some years ago & died in a horrific coach crash in which her family (4 sons, husband, mum & dad) were injured. Her body was brought home by air. I guess it depends on your wishes &, of course, you should have travel insurance, if a non resident.

Like 0      
27 Jan 2009 5:50 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi Gravitating south.

In general if you pass away in Spain you will be buried/cremated the next day, this is similar to other meditaranean countries like Italy etc...

There are funeral plans you can take out in Spain through Ex pat companies, i know of  a company called Avalon that offer such a service.

Basically you pay in over a number of years and this will allow you to be flown back to your country of choice and make arrangements around your wishes,maybe it's something that you should look at.

As for your will,you should make a Spanish will and have it Notarised to cover any assets here,.

I am not sure about the Macmillan nurses,i know there are private companies that offer this service,as with most Spanish medical aftercare,a lot of emphasis is put on family in the latter stages of critical illness   

Regarding Hospital treatment i find the Spanish health service to be one of the best in the world.

I hope that helps, a tricky subject but questions that need to be asked.

Hope that helps.

Like 0      
27 Jan 2009 7:41 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

CUDECA are a very well regarded organisation on the Costa Del Sol. Maybe you could get in touch with them to ask if they know of similar organisations in the areas you are interested in, if you can't get the info you need elsewhere?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Jan 2009 10:32 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

Hi gravitatingsouth,

I think it is admirable that you are considering the end of life arrangements for your family. I can imagine nothing worse than being in the position of not knowing what help is available or how it will be funded if my partner is taken ill.
These things have to be considered and arrangements put in place. Particularly with regard to the tax liabilities for the surviving partner.
You hear such stories of the surviving partner being left alone and unable to afford to repatriate because of financial problems.

Your questions needed to be asked .

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

opticians etc - 4 posts
costa de la luz aymonte/esuri huelva area villas - 0 posts
OUR PETITIONS - 6 posts
animal shavings for bedding in short supply new echo friendly animal bedding coming soon - 3 posts
Holiday homes for rent in the Costa Brava. - 0 posts
Sabinillas Feria - 1 posts
Car hire without CREDIT card ? - 9 posts
Non subscribing TV - 6 posts
Buying second hand cars in Spain - 7 posts
Baby baby baby I need help! - 4 posts
Carnival in Aguilas, Murcia - 6 posts
Getting an NIE number for a bed ridden relative - 4 posts
Sevilla: A wonder - 0 posts
Play area surface - 1 posts
Kingsize Bed Required - 0 posts
Beware new electricity billing system - 18 posts
habitacion licence help please - 3 posts
Hard Disk video recorder for sale, for those that don't have Sky Plus - 0 posts
Hacienda Del Alamo - 0 posts
Hacienda Del Alamo - 5 posts
Sundays are for music: Spanish songs of the 50´s,60´s and 70´s - 4 posts
Skype Mobile - 1 posts
one for Maria - 2 posts
Long term rental need - 2 posts
Paul Krugman mentions Spain - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x