Mortgage rates in Spain have they come down? will they come down? when?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Jan 2009 12:00 AM by Onelifeliveit Star rating in Almunecar Jete Grana.... 28 posts Send private message

Onelifeliveit´s avatar

Hi

My wife and I (+ the dog) are moving out to Almunecar south Spain probably at the end of March despite all the doom and gloom that’s dominating the world. We would be no better off staying here so we might as well rent our house out and be in a better climate and culture as planned.

My question is does anyone know if mortgage rate have come down recently in Spain (as they did shoot up around this time last year) or if not are they predicted to do so and by how much approximately?

My very limited take and the situation is the Eurozone has not reduced interest rates as yet but are about to soon and this is one of the reasons the pound has sank so low against the Euro due to the UK slashing their interest rates and will do again this week.

Lower mortgage payments in the UK and Spain coupled with a small recovery in the exchange rate would go a long way in helping us settle in over there for sure.

Look forward to hearing your responses on this.

Like 0      
06 Jan 2009 5:59 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

We were notified last month our payments would be reducing by €80pm from January 09. We get a 6 monthly review on the 12 month Euribor rate.

HTH

Mark

Like 0      
06 Jan 2009 6:06 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

The 12 month Euribor rate as at 6th Jan 2008 was 4.656%.

Today it is 2.959%

This would result in a saving of  €1.41 per month per €1000 euros borrowed.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
06 Jan 2009 7:18 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

As Noreen and Mark have said, yes the rates have dropped considerably and will continue to drop.

There is an expected Interest Rate cut from the ECB on the 15th of Jan, and this will also impact on the Euribor rate.

When you take out a mortgage here in Spain, the interest on the loan won't be worked out like it is in the UK, which is the BOE Base rate plus a percentage, instead it will be worked out as the Euribor plus a percentage.

Currently our Mortgage is the Euribor + 1.00% and is due for a six month revue during this month.

When we took out our Mortgage we had an introductory rate of 5.35%, which was the then Euribor rate, for the 1st six months and am expecting the revue to be 3.95% or less, which is the current Euribor rate of 2.95% plus 1.00% which as you can see is a LOT less.

Hope this helps.

BTW, it would seem that the ex-rate may be coming back in our favour also, as it hit 1.10€ to the £ today.

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 1/6/2009.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
06 Jan 2009 7:31 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Thanks for changing the spelling Techno.

Unfortunately our mortgage review is not due until September. If it was done now, we would save €270 per month.

Knowing our luck the rates will have gone back up by September!

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
07 Jan 2009 8:48 AM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar

In spite of my complaining about why anyone would buy a place in spain (other thread) the wife and I are interested in buying, anyways. One thing that has totally shocked me is the actual cost of buying a place here. 12-13% ( more if you use a mortgage broker). Anywhere else in the world that would be considered a really decent downpayment. That means if you want to put 25% down you need to come up with 40% or to quote Patrick of marbellamortgages.com

As you mentioned a mortgage of 150,000€ I am assuming that you have seen something in the ball park at 180,000€ purchase price. Broadly speaking you would need about 60,000€ (made up of 36,000€ deposit and 24,000€ expenses)

In one word OUCH!!!! no wonder the kids in Spain live at home till thier mid 30s!!!

Decided after all I don't like Spanish TV, that is having compared both.

Like 0      
07 Jan 2009 10:16 AM by Onelifeliveit Star rating in Almunecar Jete Grana.... 28 posts Send private message

Onelifeliveit´s avatar

Hi

So is the answer "Yes" mortgage payments will be coming down in Spain this month (if not fixed obviously).. that would be a big help as our UK mortgage has dropped from £100 per month recently. we looked at remortgaging in Spain but as Rob says the costs involved are just soo high. if I remember it would cost us somewhere in the region of £6/8000 to get a slightly better deal.

I dont have all the figures at hand but we took out a 70,000 euro mortgage 2 1/2 years ago on a purchase price of 170,000 + iva and all the extras etc, discounted for one year. The 70,000 worked out at £50K then but obviously at the current exchange rate its considerably more. We intended to pay it off after this discounted rate but our circumstances changed so we didnt. the monthly payments went up from 260euro ( approx) a month to 430 currently which is an awful lot on a £50K loan.

We cant afford to pay this off now as the savings we have left needs to keep up in Spain for the first 2 years to establish if we can make a life out there.

About purchase price: Black money is still part of the purchase process in Spain even though they are trying to clamp down on it. we only declared 70% of the value of the property and it saved up quite a lot. but thats individual choice and your lawyer as its part his responsibility.

Like 0      
07 Jan 2009 10:38 AM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar

That's what I figured. Also I think over time the goverment may work to reduce costs, which of course would help reduce the black money as well.

Decided after all I don't like Spanish TV, that is having compared both.

Like 0      
07 Jan 2009 12:07 PM by Lawbird Star rating. 59 posts Send private message

Lawbird´s avatar

Yes they will come down when the bank reviews the applicable rate of interest.

We wrote a blog on this matter on the 31st December 2008.

http://www.marbella-lawyers.com/wordpress/steep-drop-in-euribor-translates-into-cheaper-mortgages/

Steep Drop in Euribor Translates into Cheaper Mortgages

December 31st, 2008 @ 12:12 by raymundo

The (12 month) Euribor fell today to 3.085%, and will set the average for December at 3.4%.

The Euribor (ER) is the rate of interest at which banks lend to each other. It is the reference which most Spanish Lenders take to set the mortgages’ rate of interest. This rate is reviewable by your bank, depending on your Mortgage Deed, every six months or once a year. The European Central Bank (ECB), which sets European Monetary Policy for all EU members with the exception of the UK, has no direct control over the ER.

Post credit-crunch fear, shortage of liquidity in the markets, widespread bankruptcies and plummeting stock prices unseen since 1929’s infamous Wall Street’s Stock Market Crash has gripped banks with fear in the last quarter of 2008. This fear to lend to each other due to the mutual mistrust on one another’s writedowns has fuelled the ER hiking it to levels which were unprecedented historically.

In line with the US, the European Central Bank has lowered consecutively the interest rate which indirectly affects the ER. The Euribor rate reached an all time high on October 2008 peaking at 5.393%. To this you must add the differential on paying a mortgage which typically for a non-resident will be 1% on top of the Euribor rate. This caused a surge of mortgage defaults.

The reason being is that the ECB is lagging behind the United States Monetary Policy which has now set its interest rate at almost zero (0.25% to be exact) to hopefully fuel the ailing American economy. So the ECB has quite some catching up to do next year as its interest rate is currently held at 2.50%. Currently the Euribor rate for 12 months is set at 3.085%

In any case the continued policy of the European Central Bank to lower the interest rates over the last months will help to drive down the Euribor rate which is always news most welcomed by everyone, specially borrowers. Spanish banks will revise and adjust the Euribor rate which in turn will lower your monthly mortgage repayments. This normally happens in July.

For example, a typical mortgage of €300,000 revisable next July 2009 could drop by as much as €550 a month if the Euribor rate continues its downward trend and hits the 2% forecasted by financial experts by mid 2009.

So for all those that are struggling to pay their mortgage loan and are considering defaulting you should be aware of this significant drop in 2009. We suggest you find out at your bank when the Euribor rate will be adjusted for your own particular case and how much money you stand to save.

Like 0      
07 Jan 2009 3:25 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

My mortgage rate (with Solbank) seems to be on the up.  About four and a half years ago, when we bought, it was less than 4%.

Must have been telepathy which made me reduce the mortgage by half in January 2008 (especially since we had to transfer money from England to pay for it!!).  Not a huge increase but now we're paying €4 euros, per month, more than we did then.  Checked the other day as to actual interest rate, and it's nearly 6.5%.  We've got another seven and a half years of mortgage payments to go - outstanding amount is circa €13,000.   Is it better to shop around for better deal, or would the penalties/setting up costs far outweigh any benefits?

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
07 Jan 2009 4:29 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Abbb1,

Why not give Patrick from Marbella Mortgages a PM he might be able to give you some advice.

Pat

Like 0      
08 Jan 2009 7:49 AM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

Hi Pat

Good advice!!

I'm e-mailing Solbank today to find out exact cost of early repayment on mortgage - just to make sure there are no "little" hidden costs!!  I know that Solbank charged us quite a bit to set up the mortgage in the first place - I remember going "ouch" at the time!!  Somewhere at the back of my brain I have a figure of 1% penalty on the total amount outstanding for early redemption.  So when I have all the figures I'll be able to send Patrick a PM.

Thanks again 

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
08 Jan 2009 9:22 AM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

For those who have yet to actually complete there is now an argument if it is financially possible to

a) remortgage in the UK -lower rates than apply to mortgages in Spain with more flexible products

b) take "advantage" of exchange rate "making" circa 5 euros per £1

and purchasing as a "cash buyer".

It seems currently that unless the spanish lenders improve their whole mortgage services inclduing how they apply the rates that it has come full circle form a few years ago when it was definitely an advantage to have a spanish mortgage.

Nobody plans to fail, many fail to plan, sadly the result is the same.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Is telemicro back? - 10 posts
stray dogs Granada - 4 posts
pilurini - 0 posts
Setting up a (very!) limited company? - 2 posts
Iberdrola charges? - 20 posts
Just Testing - 0 posts
can you help? - 2 posts
Box Van Trailer Wanted - 0 posts
translation of community rules document - 2 posts
Nationwide and the nonsense they peddle!! - 5 posts
3 KINGS PARADE - 15 posts
Rental needed short and long term - 0 posts
Guests to avoid... - 8 posts
Has anyone got experience of getting their deposit back through their solicitor with or without a 'bank guarentee'? - 2 posts
Good restraunts in Fuengirola - 10 posts
Internet in Vera, Almeria - 21 posts
Spectrum radio and the agents advertising - 0 posts
The Fourth King - 0 posts
Chesterton and the wise men ( Reyes Magos) - 0 posts
Van to Europe - 0 posts
Long term rental - Tenants rights - 3 posts
Moving back, car for swop, Honda shttle people carrier 4x4 RHD UK plates. - 0 posts
Charges for Inheritance - 2 posts
been for a visit too in nov 23 - 0 posts
car hire - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x