Spanish Free to air - where to point dish?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Jul 2008 12:00 AM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar

We have just acquired an 80cm dish and a freeview box which in theory should enable us to receive Spanish channels for our Spanish renters.  The instructions are in every imaginable language including English but the one thing we can't seem to find out is what the orientation of the dish should be to pick up Spanihs free to air channels. 

Any ideas gratefully received.

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
17 Jul 2008 9:39 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar
i hope you mean a free to air satellite receiver - a "freeview" box is used for (UK brand) digital terrestrial channels throught your TV aerial, and cannot be used with a satellite dish.

the main spanish channels (TVE, Ant3, etc) are encrypted on satellite and are available only as part of the D+ package. some are only available on TDT!

use this link for a list of the free spanish channels available and their satellites and frequencies:
http://www.flysat.com/tv-sp.php

alternatively get a TDT box, check your aerial and www.tdt.es for the spanish digial terrestial service (their version of freeview!)

This message was last edited by satandpcguy on 7/17/2008.

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
17 Jul 2008 9:58 PM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar

Thanks SO much satandpcguy!

Yes I think I do mean a free to air satellite receiver -bought in Lidl.  We have similar bought last year which we use for UK channels with our big dish for second TV. Works a treat, but of course you don't get interactive which bugs the OH a bit.  
Have visited the links and find that in the case of the first there is not much available which we will be able to receive as it all involves 30deg W which is not practicable where we have the dish.
Can I pick your brains further?  If I get a TDT box will the dish still need to point west?  How much do they cost?
Pity you are not down in Almeria!!

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
17 Jul 2008 11:24 PM by rosi n Star rating in Cornwall / axarquia. 119 posts Send private message

Its no problem picking up the free Spanish tv channels we have the same tuner here in the uk ,you need to point it at 19 deg. east you can pick  up all the Spanish , French, German and most of europe and the middle east for no cost ( we watch the Spanish news most days)  and its there when it rains ? good luck . Regds.  Rosi n

Like 0      
18 Jul 2008 7:31 AM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

you can get bbcinteractive on a freetoair set top box. you need to scan frequency 12441 v 27500 2/3. the bbc i streams will appear as "stream x" - x will be 0 to 6.

the tdt services uses your tv aerial, not a dish. as per my previous post you may need some work doing to your exisitng set up to maximize your tdt reception. boxes cost from 30 to 100 euros.

rosi n: the spanish channels available for free tend to be mainly local / provincial channels, apart from the TVEi. at the momemnt all the main channels (TVE1, TVE2, Quatro, Cinco, etc) are only available via subscription satellite or tdt. it is unknown when these channels will be made available for free via satellite (as per the UK freesat / freesatfromsky) service.

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
18 Jul 2008 7:59 AM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar

Thank you both for all that - I feel I am at least eliminating stuff if not resolving anything completely!

We had to remove our regular aerial - reception was hopeless (but of course no box at that time) but worse still, in the only logical place all the birds used to perch on it and the terrace below was a disaster area!

As we only need it for Spanish (and other non English) B&Bs and renters it is not crucial that we have a huge selection of channels so I would be happy if we could just get it tuned for local etc then they can have something  on one TV and English on the other TV/digibox via our big dish.  We have got it set to 19deg so any ideas why it does not seem to want to tune in?
Thanks again

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
18 Jul 2008 8:39 AM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar
normally, the main reason why a settopbox will not pick up channels is that the dish is on the wrong satellite! are you sure you are on 19 degs....and not on 16, or 13? for astra 19, see if you can find Sky News on the astra 19 channel list and tune into that channel - if you get this then you are pretty much set perfectly onto astra 19. and the skew (rotation angle) of the LNB is impotrtant.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
18 Jul 2008 10:13 AM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar
Thanks a lot ,  I may even try to do it myself before the OH returns later today - the language was getting a bit ripe yesterday evening...

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
18 Jul 2008 1:32 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Jane, I could NEVER imagine your lovely hubby using "ripe" language !  Such a gentle person.

Let us know when you're moving to new home & what will happen about your tortoises ?

Like 0      
19 Jul 2008 4:02 PM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar

Cracked it!!!
Not quite sure how, but we did!
Now all I have to do is brush up my German and I have hundreds of channels to choose from!

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
19 Jul 2008 4:13 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
"Cracked it", Jane ? Now, that's a worry. Are we sure we want to know ?

In the meantime here's a brush to help you.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

gaye - 1 posts
Newbie to Spain - 3 posts
Barcelona beach? - 1 posts
SPAIN ARE CHAMPIONS! - 4 posts
WEALTH TAX, LATEST INFO ( article was written 16th June 2008), - 41 posts
Corgi gas engineer wanted - 0 posts
Corgi gas engineer wanted - 0 posts
WINTER RENTAL OFFERED 500€/MONTH - 0 posts
Back on safe ground - 20 posts
Hi, says OMAR! - 3 posts
Polaris World Hacienda Riquelme Cleaning Service - 3 posts
Makro in Mrica - 5 posts
Electrical goods - 19 posts
Palma flight 99p Jet2 - 9 posts
MARKSFISH 1000 POSTS - 13 posts
Question for More! - 3 posts
certificate of habitation - 2 posts
Wanted - Aldea Golf property in August - 1 posts
Mattress needed - 5 posts
Villa or town house wanted for the 7th Septmeber - 4 posts
Independent or not? - 2 posts
Fadesa. Press announce on creditor´s meeting ( administration). - 0 posts
Electric connection - 1 posts
electrical items - 30 posts
Danish TV in Sapin - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x