WEB SITE FOR COMMUNITY

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 May 2008 12:00 AM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Ok.......so it was our AGM today. We always put out monthly committee meeting reports on the Community notice board but obviously only those here at the time will read these ( and usually they don't bother ).

It was suggested we have a web site for the Community to use................and guess who will get the job of sorting it and updating it ??

Not that I mind since it will give me more excuse for playing with my computer BUT I could do with some 'setting up' advice..................................pdq  so I'm not 

This message was last edited by Karensun on 5/5/2008.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
05 May 2008 5:44 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Easiest way is to buy a domain and find some free webspace (I use www.000webhost.com at the moment). Install something like Joomla and once you have the set up done, updating is a cinch. Joomla is what I use on my websites, take a look and see if it is what you need. I am no expert, but enjoy playing with websites and will give you what help I can. Alternatively, get a hold of some Frontpage software and do it that way, just as easy using plain html.

Mark

Like 0      
05 May 2008 5:53 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Karen, Pat Farnaby,  Site Administrator of http://www.dreamhills.co.uk/ would maybe help you.

pat.farnaby@yahoo.co.uk

Or Keith Ashton (webmaster) info@laherradacommunity.com

http://www.laherradacommunity.com/

This message was last edited by morerosado on 5/5/2008.

Like 0      
05 May 2008 6:05 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Thanks folks.

Markfish.................I've looked at that link...................I wish I understood more!! What do you mean by ' buy a domain '?? how where?? ( Sorry to be a nerd........but I would really like to learn and understand )

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
05 May 2008 6:18 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

The domain is the postal address of your internet site. It is whatever comes after the www in the address. you can get free places to host your site with long addresses, such as geocities and the like. If you buy (for instance) karensun.com, it would cost about £6 per year from the UK, not sure about Spanish registrars. You can then take the address with you whenever you decide your host isn't what you want and you can set your own email addresses.

HTH

Mark

Like 0      
05 May 2008 6:25 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Like 0      
05 May 2008 6:28 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Thanks again Markfish........................and I get it from where???

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
05 May 2008 6:32 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Not sure about Spain, but I use www.123-reg.co.uk for my domains. I don't think you can buy a .es domain from there, but .com, .org and I believe .eu can be purchased there.

Mark

Like 0      
05 May 2008 7:02 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Thanks AGAIN Markfish.............................going to give it a rest now ( it's been a long day ) and go for it all tomorrow!! 

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
06 May 2008 10:10 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Excellent idea Karen!

I want to know what happened at the AGM yesterday.........but will have to wait till we get to Spain in June to read the notice board!

I do read it, so should everyone, it's their community, they should be interested!

So get that website up and running today so I can read what went on yesterday!!!

Hope this didn't post twice, my computer had a blip!!!!

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
06 May 2008 11:36 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Hi Karen

We are just putting the final touches to our community website project.  www.communityeyes.com

It's a free facility for every community.  It is now finished (it's taken longer than we hoped).  We are just testing it and we plan to roll out a few live test ones by the end of next week.  If you can wait till next week you can have a ready made website up and running within 2 weeks and it won't cost your community anything.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
06 May 2008 12:45 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Gosh, Justin!!  About time!!  I'd forgotten all about that!!  It must have been at least three years ago that you asked people to nominate their communities for websites!!

Looks great - will be good when it's up and running!

Mabrook, Justin!

Like 0      
06 May 2008 12:48 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Karensun - look at www.godaddy.com very easy to understand. They dont have sites ending in .es - you need a spanish supplier for that but stick to .com or .org or .eu at the end.

Depending on what name you go for its around 9 dollars for 2 years and includes a free 5 page website and hosting - thats the place they keep it - dont worry about that!

You can upgrade to a paid for web site builder and they use templates where you pick one you like, change the colour and full help. Can be a bit dauniting initially but once you get the hang of it its fun. I have about a dozen sites all with them.

You can also set up a blog too or a forum for all the members to use, like EOS

Good luck and let me know if you decide to go there or have problems and Ill help where I can

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
06 May 2008 12:59 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Yes, I used godaddy.com to purchase my domains.

Karensun, you can actually buy "es" domains from 123-reg (the site Markfish suggested), which might be helpful for you, if that's what you want, although don't know what other services (hosting, website builder, etc.) they offer.

Like 0      
06 May 2008 10:36 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

for all your help and advice. I'll give it a go in the next few days so expect more frantic posts from yours truly  xx

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
06 May 2008 10:54 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

This is likely going to be you then, Karen.

Like 0      
06 May 2008 11:06 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Apart from my hair being a different colour.......that's JUST how I look all the time  !!!

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
06 May 2008 11:50 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Don't get frustrated with it, Karen. Remember, you love your PC.

Like 0      
07 May 2008 9:53 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Karen, it's easy really!  There's plenty of us here to help if you get stuck along the way.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
21 May 2008 11:57 PM by promedia Star rating in Cheshire/Riviera del.... 134 posts Send private message

Karen

we set our website up last year and i've been looking at what other communities had on their sites and borrowed a lot of ideas, dont mind you having a look if it helps. we have had a lot of compliments from the residents as its kept them informed as to whats happening on the community, both good and bad

www.golfgardensmiraflores.co.uk

Ian Cook - Golf Gardens Miraflores - The best place to live on the Costa del Sol

"A day without sunshine is like.................night"

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Those grilles that need painting !! - 8 posts
Minorca - 2 posts
Gran Alacant, Costa Blanca - 4 posts
Banco Halifax - 5 posts
CHEMISTS/FARMACIA - 16 posts
Justin, re last 20 threads - 8 posts
Is this a legal letter? - 6 posts
UK Self Assessment - 5 posts
Going Out To Tender! - 0 posts
Beds Almoradi/Dolores/Orihuela Area - 5 posts
New London Mayor - 20 posts
Increased costs for Ryanair luggage from Mon 5th May - 10 posts
Buying Property in Trampolin Hills Albudeite - 1 posts
Importing a boat from usa to Spain, - 1 posts
Furniture For Sale - 14 posts
Eclipse in Manilva - 0 posts
help upon minimum notification required from developer of completion - 6 posts
Hi everyone - 2 posts
WHAT TO DO IN THE EVENT OF A TRAFFIC ACCIDENT - 21 posts
confirmation required - 1 posts
Hi from Megmerlin got a question re Building works - 5 posts
Power of Attorney - 6 posts
JUSTICE AT LAST! - 2 posts
BACKSTABBING BRITS - 0 posts
Wealth Tax?? and Other Taxes? - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 23

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x