:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 May 2008 12:00 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

WHAT TO DO IN THE EVENT OF A TRAFFIC ACCIDENT

FOUND HERE

Do you know what to do in the unfortunate event of a non-injury road traffic accident?

As a driver here in Spain or elsewhere on mainland Europe, you should complete the blue form called Parte Europeo de Accidente.
This document is provided by all insurance companies and should be carried in the car with all relevant papers. The document is completed in duplicate by either or both drivers and is signed by all parties involved, each taking with them their own copy, which should be handed to the insurer as soon as possible or in any case within 5 days of the accident. The document is, here in Spain, logically, in Spanish, so here below is an English version.

WHAT DO IN CASE OF AN ACCIDENT

Which is clearly printed on the front cover of the Parte Europeo de Accidente, is 'DON'T PANIC, BE COURTEOUS, REMAIN CALM'. (Do not admit liability, but complete the form honestly)

IF THERE ARE INJURIES
1. Call the police and an ambulance if necessary.
2. Note the names, surnames, addresses and telephone numbers of the injured where this is possible.

IF THERE IS ONLY MATERIAL DAMAGE

1. Produce your insurance details and your driving licence and complete the duplicate form, Parte Europeo de Accidente. It is only necessary for one such document to be completed, as there is a copy for each driver.
2. Ensure that the damaged vehicles do not cause a traffic hazard or interfere with the circulation of other road users.
3. Should you feel it necessary, or if the other driver does not wish to co-operate, call the police.
4. Photographs of the scene and of the damage are always useful. (Maybe carry a disposable camera in the car).

HOW TO COMPLETE THE PARTE EUROPEO DE ACCIDENTE

AT THE SCENE

1. Use only one form when there are only two vehicles involved (two forms for 3 vehicles). It is unimportant which driver completes the form. Use a ballpoint pen and write legibly.
(a) Ensure that details of both (or all) insurance companies are completed in sections 6 and 8.
(b) When completing details of the driver in part 9, take details from the driving licence.
(c) Precisely indicate the point of collision on the drawing in part 10.
(d) Mark the cause of the accident (part 12) with a cross.
(e) Draw a simple plan in part (13)
3. Take a note of the names and addresses of any witnesses, especially if there is a dispute as to blame.
4. Sign the completed form, invite the other driver to sign and offer him the duplicate form.

AT HOME

Complete the details as required by your insurance company and fill in the 'declaration of accident' on the reverse of the form.
Note down the exact location of the damaged vehicle for later inspection by the insurance assessor.
Do not alter any details previously completed.
Send the completed document to your insurance company or agent.

Should the driver of the other vehicle be in possession of a Parte Europeo de Accidente in another language, make sure that the layout of the form is the same as your version.

COMPLETING THE PARTE EUROPEO DE ACCIDENTE

1. DATE of accident.
2. PLACE of accident, street name or number, town, province etc.
3. INJURIES, however slight. (yes or no)
4. DAMAGE to vehicles. (yes or no)
5. WITNESSES, names and addresses
6. INSURED (both drivers, vehicle A and vehicle B), copy details from policy document, name, surname(s), address and telephone number. Complete the answer to the question, 'Can the insured claim back the VAT?'
7. VEHICLE, make, model, registration number.
8. INSURANCE COMPANY DETAILS, policy number, agency, green card number, validity date, 'is own damage covered?' (Yes or no).
9. DRIVER, name, surname(s), address, driving licence number, categories (A or B), place of issue, date of issue, valid until.
10. INDICATE WITH AN ARROW the point of impact.
11. DETAILS OF DAMAGE.
12. CIRCUMSTANCES, place a cross in the relevant boxes (vehicle A and vehicle B).
(a) Stationary.
(b) Pulling out from a stationary position.
(c) About to park
(d) Leaving a private parking space, driveway, un-adopted lane or dirt track.
(e) Entering as (d) above.
(f) Entering a roundabout.
(g) Negotiating a roundabout.
(h) Colliding with the rear of a vehicle travelling in the same direction.
(i) Travelling in the same direction but in a different lane.
(j) Changing lanes.
(k) Overtaking.

· PLEASE NOTE

If you are on holiday in Spain with a European Health Card, this does not cover you for medical treatment following a road traffic accident. Any treatment obtained from the hospital will result in you being issued with a bill, as it is expected that the insurance company will be liable for payment.

Like 0      
03 May 2008 10:18 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Hi More, good info. That info seems good for driving your own vehicle, but what about a hire car? I don't recall ever seeing a Parte Europeo de Accidente as part of the paperwork given out at time of rental, or have I had my head somewhere else?

Mark

Like 0      
03 May 2008 11:45 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I don't know everything, Mark. I have to admit I don't know.

I found that gem on another site so thought it was interesting for our members.

You know what it's like, at times, sourcing info.

Like 0      
03 May 2008 12:40 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I do like that crystal ball, I think I will have to pinch it for future use .

Mark

Like 0      
03 May 2008 8:26 PM by kenshaz Star rating in Cheshire/Vera Play.... 486 posts Send private message

kenshaz´s avatar
Extremely essential info. If we could down-load a copy and then we can familiarize our-selves with the detail and keep a copy ,just in case the hire company fail to provide one ,the instructions for use from this thread could also be kept on your person.Will it be in English?

Like 0      
03 May 2008 8:56 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
No Ken, as my post says, it's in Spanish (cos you're in Spain ! )  BUT that's why, if you keep a copy of my earlier post, you'll see it tells you how to complete it in English ..... see COMPLETING THE PARTE EUROPEO DE ACCIDENTE.

Like 0      
04 May 2008 8:05 AM by kenshaz Star rating in Cheshire/Vera Play.... 486 posts Send private message

kenshaz´s avatar

The earlier post is a guide ,not an an actual copy of the form,and I have done some research and the official document is international and allows for multi use with paragraph assistance.

The point that I was attempting to make was a glimpse of the actual form would assist in completion ,the guidance list ,whilst being helpful ,needs comparison.

The form is available in other parts of Europe as stated by your post.   Have you actually seen an original,your  post states that you obtained the information from another forum. I appreciate your efforts in highlighting the potential difficulties ,but as you realise yourself ,filling out forms is an art,especially in highly emotive situations such as immediately after an accident.

Linking the letters and number sentances on your guidance notes with an actual form in the a safe enviroment and not at the road-side would assist.

This message was last edited by kenshaz on 5/4/2008.

Like 0      
04 May 2008 10:37 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Ken, I understand your point but I can only put here what I find by Googling & I've spent ages trying to find the form. No, I haven't seen an original form as we have never had an accident in Spain. I gave you a link to where I found the info, as I always try to do so you can look further.

Hey, I think your prayers may have been answered, Ken  Look HERE !

I also found THIS which (again) explains how to fill form in. It is a translated version from the same Spanish site.

I'm like a dog with a bone.

Like 0      
04 May 2008 10:47 AM by kenshaz Star rating in Cheshire/Vera Play.... 486 posts Send private message

kenshaz´s avatar

The plot thickens and that form would really cause me some problems,with your notes and time to study . This is quite a dry subject ,but the reality of it are scary,millions hire cars without knowing the basic principles of how to respond in an accident situation.

I suggest that others take a look at the link to the form,if it helps. Then compare it to th OP and the list,not easy.

I realise that you have done a lot of research and it is appreciated.

This message was last edited by kenshaz on 5/4/2008.

Like 0      
04 May 2008 11:12 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Ken, I'll make finding the original download of that form my life's work now.

Watch this space.

Like 0      
05 May 2008 3:21 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

What about this ?

http://www.skovgaard-europe.com/euraccix.htm (Bit cheeky)

Any use ? Scroll down.

http://www.insurance.fr/files/Accident_Form.pdf

This message was last edited by morerosado on 5/5/2008.

Like 0      
05 May 2008 6:02 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

That´s it More.

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
05 May 2008 6:31 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Maria, for saying that. I'd searched such a lot to find it.  

But it's difficult trying to read the pdf file with it being on its side. Maybe they did it that way as so many cars end up on their side after a bad accident.

http://www.insurance.fr/files/Accident_Form.pdf

Like 0      
05 May 2008 9:05 PM by kenshaz Star rating in Cheshire/Vera Play.... 486 posts Send private message

kenshaz´s avatar

More. I am so amazed and respect, well what can I say,success and we have the form in English. The site that wanted payment for the form,have highlighted the need and the fact  that it might cost 1000s of euros for an error on completion in a foreign language.

The efforts that you made prove that this site is a marvel and those who post. We should all print one off and place it with our pass -port.

Take care Ken

Like 0      
05 May 2008 9:13 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Got mine saved .

Mark

Like 0      
05 May 2008 10:25 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Gee, ain't I just the works ?

Seriously, it's good we all help each other. I'd better ask hubby to print us some off too. Just watch US forget to do so.

Like 0      
12 May 2008 8:17 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

When I collected my hire car from Econorent, the rep showed me where the insurance details were kept and the accident form.  Also that they had provided an instruction guide in English of how to fill in this form.

I'll print off your details and keep it in my growing file I always take with me!

Don't forget folks to ensure that your hire cars insurance is valid for the duration of your trip before you leave the airport, if you are stopped by the police they will tow the car away until you can prove that it's legally allowed to be on the road. 

Like 0      
16 May 2008 7:02 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
After being involved in an accident on my last but one visit (a motorbike decided to come up the inside as I was turning right - I stopped for a cyclist crossing the road but the motorbike didn't stop) I have a little first hand knowledge.  This was my first accident ever involving someone else in 40 years of driving so was a bit shook up, to say the least.
Checked the motorcyclist wasn't hurt first (he went flying over the car and had a nasty gash on his knee but nothing else, thank the Lord).  Once he was OK, I called the police and put out the warning triangles and donned the yellow vests (thank goodness the hire car company (Centauro at Murcia) had provided them.  Guardia Civil Trafico turned up a short while later.  After they'd checked my licence and insurance (car hire document was acceptable) they filled in a form which laid the blame equally on us both, me for not looking for traffic on the inside and the motorcyclist for coming up the inside, they went to the glove compartment and pulled out the accident form which has to be supplied by all hire companies.  The motorcyclist and I filled it in together, he kept a copy, I kept a copy and the police told me which copy to give to the hire company.  They also helped me make the little diagram with road names and numbers in the correct place.
The points learned in this were to check the paperwork when you pick up the hire car.  You must carry insurance documents with you and the accident claim form must be given to you by the hire car company.  Ensure you have the warning triangles and high vis vests. 
Finally, apart from the Guardia Civil cop lighting up a fag whilst taking the motorcyclists statement (even I could smell the leaked petrol on the road), I thought they were very good, efficient and professional.  No intimidation, no tickings off, just a routine gathering of the facts.
Oh, and I also know (now) that motorcyclists in Spain are allowed to overtake you on the inside so always, always check all mirrors when turning.  Now I just need to grow another pair of eyes in the back of my head to keep an eye or three on all sides.

Like 0      
02 Jun 2008 10:56 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
More,

YOUR A STAR!!!!!

I've just seen this and saved copies of the pdf, and saved a copy of the instructions as per your original post.

I think you deserve a BIG round of applause for all your hard work on this.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
02 Jun 2008 11:00 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Blimey, so busy advising you lot, I've not printed it off myself !!!  

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

confirmation required - 1 posts
Hi from Megmerlin got a question re Building works - 5 posts
Power of Attorney - 6 posts
JUSTICE AT LAST! - 2 posts
BACKSTABBING BRITS - 0 posts
Wealth Tax?? and Other Taxes? - 1 posts
New to Oasis. - 1 posts
furniture shops in murcia - 3 posts
Spanish SIP card - 34 posts
uk or spanish mortgage??? - 15 posts
rental agencies costa del sol - 0 posts
Has anyone got refund? - 2 posts
Time stands still...in Manilva - 9 posts
mobile home information please - 5 posts
Setting up a spanish will - 32 posts
ClairH - 5 posts
Furniture Plus Spain - 3 posts
nannette - 1 posts
set up fees for mortgage - 3 posts
The NEW forum rules !!! - 9 posts
NEW : Abbey Zero Credit Card, NO foreign exchange fees for goods OR cash - 0 posts
WHO PAYS THE HIGHEST COMMUNITY FEES - 25 posts
La Vizcaronda - 2 posts
Grupo Urbasa - 2 posts
Sun Loungers - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 22

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x